New USB Cable from Stereomatic (Chris Somoivgo/Black Cat/StereoVox)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I like the Venom USB quite a bit. In fact, it's my favorite now.
It's on www.thecableco.com for only $95?!

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Joe Galbraith

Senior Member/Sponsor
Apr 22, 2010
www.arsetmusica.com
Disclaimer: I am an analog guy even though I do have a modest digital playback rig.

I just replaced an Audioquest Diamond USB with Chris' Silverstar USB and am very happy with the results

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

Occam

[Industry Expert]
Dec 15, 2010
NYC
Hi Joe:

Thanks for your impressions. Lots of stiff competition out there.

I just reviewed this, and it is excellent as well:

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-accessories/av-cables/dh-labs-mirage-usb-cable-review.html

Andre,

I agree with you that the DH Labs Mirage USB cable is excellent, I use a 5 meter Mirage and am very happy with it.
But other than subjective superlatives, what I find missing from your review is subjective comparisons. As you said, you've evaluated multiple USB cables, so I'd think a useful bit of information would be a more specific description of its subjective presentation in comparison to other USB cables.
For instance, IMO, 2 very well thought of USB cables provide 2 very different presentations, the Audioquest Diamonds subjectively 'analytical' and the Wireworld Platinum Starlight somewhat 'warm'. 'Game changer' or not, I wouldn't think, all else being equal, someone preferring the Audioquest's presentation liking that of the Wireworld's in the same system.
If you accept that USB cables offer subjectively different presentations, where would you place the Mirage?

From my perspective, a reviews value is largely dependent on its context. Has the reviewer opined on a piece of kit that I've also evaluated, so I can 'normalize' their perspective against my own, and more ideally, does the specific review compare the product under review against other products with which I might be familiar.

Regards,
Paul

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Andre,

I agree with you that the DH Labs Mirage USB cable is excellent, I use a 5 meter Mirage and am very happy with it.
But other than subjective superlatives, what I find missing from your review is subjective comparisons. As you said, you've evaluated multiple USB cables, so I'd think a useful bit of information would be a more specific description of its subjective presentation in comparison to other USB cables.
For instance, IMO, 2 very well thought of USB cables provide 2 very different presentations, the Audioquest Diamonds subjectively 'analytical' and the Wireworld Platinum Starlight somewhat 'warm'. 'Game changer' or not, I wouldn't think, all else being equal, someone preferring the Audioquest's presentation liking that of the Wireworld's in the same system.
If you accept that USB cables offer subjectively different presentations, where would you place the Mirage?

From my perspective, a reviews value is largely dependent on its context. Has the reviewer opined on a piece of kit that I've also evaluated, so I can 'normalize' their perspective against my own, and more ideally, does the specific review compare the product under review against other products with which I might be familiar.

Regards,
Paul
Hi Paul:

Thanks for reading and your comments.

I think I should clear of a major misconception about the review process, and my M.O. I ONLY provide comparisons when a DIRECT comparison is possible. I had the AQ Diamond in my system, but a year ago, with
a different DAC and source. I also had the King Rex (another really superb cable) in my system 6 months ago, with still another DAC and source.

Without being able to do side by side comparisons with the same DAC and source, I refuse to rely on aural memory. If you read the last few high profile reviews of things like the Berkeley DAC,
etc, there were no direct comparisons made to the best of my knowledge.

If you read Steve Plaskin's review on AudioStream.com of a bunch of really high, very expensive USB cables he concluded there was no best because they ALL sounded different depending on the combination of source
and DAC he used, so it was a moving target. He had half a dozen superb DACs and sources at his disposal for the review.

I can only provide feedback based on why at I hear with that cable without any other context. It is up to the reader to decide if they agree with my description, or better yet, if the review
has created enough interest so they can audition the cable them selves. Obviously I can't be to far off the mark or relying on too many superlatives since you like the cable.

To answer your question..in MY system with MY source and DAC (SOtM server, with Simaudio Neo 380 DAC) the Mirage is perfectly balanced, neither warm or analytical, as I said it had no sound of its own.

Cheers,

Andre

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing