New Tesla Model S Now the Quickest Production Car in the World

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
The AMG just puts this sh*t eating grin on my face every time I back it out of the garage.

Sh*t eating grin sounds really funny Bruce. What an expression. But I never had this sh*t eating grin when I back out my AMG...only when I launch forward :D.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Sorry Keith. I beg to differ. It is faster than your car.......

Let’s start with the good stuff, which is the upcoming performance version of the Model 3. According to Musk, this car is very quick. Zero to sixty is done in just 3.5 seconds, which puts in in the same ballpark as a Porsche 911 GT3. Top speed is limited to 155 mph to prevent the battery from melting out the body panels. Range is an impressive 310 miles which should put anyone’s range anxiety to bed. This car can not only take you to the summer home in the Hamptons but get you there before you even realize you left the city.

My son has the performance edition and I believe it will easily beat your car

Except there is no performance edition yet. Elon's talked about an M3 competitor coming with dual motors that will cost 75k. The Model 3 is a 5 second car. What you're feeling is torque, not HP imo.

But I don't like the exterior, the interior, the fit and finish, or even the paint. I'll bet Jordan sells his Model 3 within 18 months - I hope he's well btw.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
In the Model 3 thread I posted the latest; he is asking an additional $2,500 from the people who are on the list for that model. He is sending emails to them. So he's raising money there.
Plus other things...check the link on that thread as it's for the Model 3.
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...l-3-production&p=518285&viewfull=1#post518285
...And the couple links from the post before.

He doesn't have enough money and time to build another factory, the reason of that huge tent.

Also he can have big investors helping him financially.

But it's true that on the other side of that coin some analysts have less than an optimistic outlook for the future of Tesla.

http://fortune.com/2018/03/27/tesla-bankruptcy/
http://www.businessinsider.com/how-tesla-could-go-bankrupt-2018-5

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Tesla has a better chance of going bankrupt than being successful at this juncture.

With all of his investors I agree with that prognosis

It was my youngest son BTW, not Jordan who bought it

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Somebody would buy them before they went bankrupt.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
or a government bailout

Maybe, although they are probably 'small enough to fail' I personally think they will survive (and am a longtime shareholder), but who knows.

As an aside, we were on the 3 list for my wife, but she got tired of waiting. Got an Alfa Guilia which is a blast to drive.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Maybe, although they are probably 'small enough to fail' I personally think they will survive (and am a longtime shareholder), but who knows.

As an aside, we were on the 3 list for my wife, but she got tired of waiting. Got an Alfa Guilia which is a blast to drive.

My son waited 27 months

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Yeah, it's nuts. We were on the list early, actually tried to get her to do the Alfa a year ago on a 24 mo. lease as a bridge, but she had no interest in even looking at it, thinking the Tesla was in the relative offing. She got tired of waiting but also had doubts too about her and the exclusively touchscreen interface.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I just saw a model 3 yesterday in the Costco parking lot. MAN THAT THING IS FUGLY! The model S (and even X) is so much better looking!!

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I just saw a model 3 yesterday in the Costco parking lot. MAN THAT THING IS FUGLY! The model S (and even X) is so much better looking!!

+1

Reminds me of a cartoon duck when you look at the back end of the 3. I think the 3 would be mildly interesting at $35K...now I see the least expensive is $50K! Apparently, Tesla is loosing money on every one they make. What's up with that??
Recently, I ran into a model S owner, she is going back to Mercedes as soon as her lease is up. Told me that in her opinion, the car is a gadget, but had no quality and is waaaay over priced. Food for thought!

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
+1

Reminds me of a cartoon duck when you look at the back end of the 3. I think the 3 would be mildly interesting at $35K...now I see the least expensive is $50K! Apparently, Tesla is loosing money on every one they make. What's up with that??
Recently, I ran into a model S owner, she is going back to Mercedes as soon as her lease is up. Told me that in her opinion, the car is a gadget, but had no quality and is waaaay over priced. Food for thought!

+1 on the look of the Model 3, and my view on the quality. both suck and show how desperate Tesla is for cash flow and upping production. get those cars out there no matter what. can't help but be a piper to pay on that.....and maybe a fatal one.

OTOH I also saw that Tesla was the highest selling make (above Toyota and Honda.....top two for years) in my local market for May 2018 (from an industry registration report I pay to get) and #5 in my market for the year. it was not in the top 10 last year. my market is in the top 5 'alternate fuel/electrified' markets (single dealer areas) in the US.

so at least in the most green leaning and affluent places, Tesla is kicking ass. whether that's turns out to be enough to get them over the hump and make it long term.......is anyone's guess.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
+1 on the look of the Model 3, and my view on the quality. both suck and show how desperate Tesla is for cash flow and upping production. get those cars out there no matter what. can't help but be a piper to pay on that.....and maybe a fatal one.

OTOH I also saw that Tesla was the highest selling make in my local market for May 2018 (from an industry registration report I pay to get) and #5 in my market for the year. it was not in the top 10 last year. my market is in the top 5 'alternate fuel/electrified' markets (single dealer areas) in the US.

so at least in the most green leaning places, Tesla is kicking ass. whether that's turns out to be enough to get them over the hump and make it long term is anyone's guess.

Agreed. It shows that there is a very healthy market for an all electric vehicle. I am all in when to comes to all electric, but I am also holding out for a car that doesn't look like it was either designed by the folks who are responsible for the looks of Godzilla, or simply try and bring any old thing to market...quality be damned. For some reason, I fail to see why one of the top makers cannot bring to market a nice looking vehicle that is all electric ( and with a decent range), has some basic Honda/Toyota quality and doesn't break the bank. BTW, the new Porsche all electric vehicle looks great, but I have no idea what the price will be...presumably waaay over the top.:rolleyes:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

I agree; cosmetically appearance wise the Model 3 doesn't have the sex appeal of the Model S and X and Roadster.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Agreed. It shows that there is a very healthy market for an all electric vehicle. I am all in when to comes to all electric, but I am also holding out for a car that doesn't look like it was either designed by the folks who are responsible for the looks of Godzilla, or simply try and bring any old thing to market...quality be damned. For some reason, I fail to see why one of the top makers cannot bring to market a nice looking vehicle that is all electric ( and with a decent range), has some basic Honda/Toyota quality and doesn't break the bank. BTW, the new Porsche all electric vehicle looks great, but I have no idea what the price will be...presumably waaay over the top.:rolleyes:

in 18 months, look back and you will see and large collection of direct Tesla competitors in the market but built to a much higher standard.

American Honda does not directly compete with Tesla, but in the last 6 months we have 'finally' brought out three 'alternate fuel/electrified' cars that are the best in their categories. and other manufacturers are close to doing the same.

give Tesla credit for pushing......but there is about to be many, many more choices. and the market is a cruel place.

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
Yeah, but it's still a Tesla!
Not an AMG, Ferrari, Lamborghini or McLaren!

I'll pass. Like above, if I want to smoke a Tesla, I'll just get on one of my bikes!!
Couldn't agree more it has no sound , no soul, no sex appeal and to me its just a plain jane as far as design goes. I am not knocking it just not what I want to drive.
I cant afford a Ferrari or Lambo but I have driven some, never drove a Mclaren,
I do love AMG and I am the proud owner of one!

Its all about the sound and feel.... kind of like audio LOL

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I was at my local Tesla store yesterday. Looked at the model X on the floor...talk about poorly put together! There were several body panels that didn't even line up...never mind poor gaps! Have a friend who owns model X...hates it...always in for one problem or another. She cannot wait to dump it and get into a new Toyota 4 Runner, or another Honda Odyssey....for a fraction of the price. ( She sold her 2015 Honda Odyssey Elite for the Tesla, tells me that was a huge mistake as the Honda was bullet proof and far more capable across the spectrum...at a fraction of what she paid, LOL).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing