New Spectral 200S power amp released

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Tube gear, I understa
nd SE..not for solid state though.

There are quite a few balanced tube units: ARC, BAT, VAC, etc. cj is the exception even in the tube world.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm not going to try and make the argument that one sounds better than the other, but I will say I like having a preamp with balanced inputs because some of my gear has balanced outputs like my 50+ year old Ampex 350s and I really don't like having to use balanced to unbalanced connections. Those connectors can never make anything better, but it damn sure can introduce problems. I have the option of running my Mytek Stereo 192 with either unbalanced or balanced connections, and I chose to use balanced for the greater gain.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
I ran the mytek 192 SE b/c it had too much gain. they use an extra op amp to run differential which means an extra active device. I never could back out the screws to remove the cover and move the jumpers.

I've owned lots of balanced and SE gear and I don't have a preference it all depends on implementation. in theory I have the worst of all worlds: high gain tube phono in all tube system with SE connections and its one of the 'quietest' systems ive owned in recent memory.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Rob-It's awesome that your all tube system is quiet. That's a hard feat to pull off, especially if you are using a low output MC.

With regards to the Mytek, I need the extra gain. For some reason that I don't think even the specifications explain, the gain difference between my Krell KBL and the Krell KRC are quite different. I suspect it's the volume control that is making the difference. The KBL has a conventional pot while the KRC has a much more sophisticated volume control. I have to turn up the Krell KRC much higher to achieve the same gain that I had with the KBL at a lower setting.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Rob-It's awesome that your all tube system is quiet. That's a hard feat to pull off, especially if you are using a low output MC.

That's why I love this Doshi tape pre. It's one of the quietest pieces of tube gear I've (n)ever heard!

As for Spectral, it's just too big of an investment for someone having to change out amp, pre AND cables. Maybe if I were first starting out...

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
Steve,

I understand your enthusiasm for your Lamm gear. Especially with the maker's guarantee of a full refund if the system is noisy!
My biggest issue with this balanced subject is it never gets ironed out in the chat rooms. I would suggest full disclosure! If a manufacturer wants to provide SE & balanced inputs/outputs on their gear, they should state whether the balanced inputs/outputs are truly balanced, or not.
Pass Labs did this with the Aleph 2 monoblocs. Nelson Pass specifically states in the owners manual, the amp is not balanced, but balanced inputs are provided for anyone who has balanced cables & prefers to use them.
There is a Threshold preamp on Audiogon right now. The seller states that it has balanced outputs. Well yes, it does, but no they aren't truly balanced. How many rookie audiophiles will buy a piece like this, and then purchase premium balanced cables, only to find out later it does them no good to go balanced?
As far as single ended gear goes, my favorite tube gear is the earlier (non current) CJ gear. I think it sounds great! Living here in Phoenix, tubes are just not a viable option for me, in the summer, due to heat.
My current system consists of the Electrocompaniet EMC-1Up, Pass XP-30, Rowland 625, Avalon Avatars, and James EMB-1200 subs. I'm very happy with it.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Steve,

I understand your enthusiasm for your Lamm gear. Especially with the maker's guarantee of a full refund if the system is noisy!
My biggest issue with this balanced subject is it never gets ironed out in the chat rooms. I would suggest full disclosure! If a manufacturer wants to provide SE & balanced inputs/outputs on their gear, they should state whether the balanced inputs/outputs are truly balanced, or not.
Pass Labs did this with the Aleph 2 monoblocs. Nelson Pass specifically states in the owners manual, the amp is not balanced, but balanced inputs are provided for anyone who has balanced cables & prefers to use them.
There is a Threshold preamp on Audiogon right now. The seller states that it has balanced outputs. Well yes, it does, but no they aren't truly balanced. How many rookie audiophiles will buy a piece like this, and then purchase premium balanced cables, only to find out later it does them no good to go balanced?
As far as single ended gear goes, my favorite tube gear is the earlier (non current) CJ gear. I think it sounds great! Living here in Phoenix, tubes are just not a viable option for me, in the summer, due to heat.
My current system consists of the Electrocompaniet EMC-1Up, Pass XP-30, Rowland 625, Avalon Avatars, and James EMB-1200 subs. I'm very happy with it.

Hi Daniel

There is no confusion with the Lamm gear. None of his amps and preamps have balanced in or out. He makes it quite clear that there are SE and Pseudobalanced (ie SE with XLR) but not a true balanced circuit anywhere to be found. He doesn't believe in them.

Look I understand where you're coming from because I was there for many years.

My point was not to push my gear or the brand but rather to suggest you not discount gear based on those beliefs and have a listen. Then I can say you're making a fair comment based on your experience

As to the noise floor Dan I agree with you but Vlad made me believe otherwise. As Myles and others have stated there are many SOTA mfrs who make gear only with SE

Here is an active thread here right now and one of the best preamps out there

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...egend-pictures&p=214986&viewfull=1#post214986

danielk141

Mar 13, 2012
Steve,

I saw a CAT preamp last week, at my local dealer - Audio Video Choices. I did not hear it. It is the heaviest preamp I've ever seen.
It's on eBay now, sitting at $1600.00 with 48 hours left. I does have a captive power cord from the power supply to the preamp.
It will be tricky to box & ship!

docvale

Mar 21, 2011
Briarcliff Manor, NY
That's why I love this Doshi tape pre. It's one of the quietest pieces of tube gear I've (n)ever heard!

As for Spectral, it's just too big of an investment for someone having to change out amp, pre AND cables. Maybe if I were first starting out...

I don't see it that way, honestly... :)
Spectral gear is expensive, but way less than many other highend brands. With a Spectral preamp, it is possible to drive any kind of power amp, also.

Regarding the debate between balanced versus unbalanced connections, as long as it sounds good... :)

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
The problem with balanced is perfect circuit component matching, a virtual oxymoron by itself

Yes. its even worse when the signal is not just balanced within the component, but true balanced all the way through the entire signal chain, with each half of the signal split from source through to amp.
By the time the signal is recombined into a whole at the final output stage, component matching differences will have a big effect. And there is the other issue of the signal having passed through twice the number of components compared to a similar SE circuit.

My theory is, this is why despite balanced being very good with lower noise floor (the gains of noise rejection), many actually think the SE connections sound more 'alive' and 'natural'.

Of course it all comes down to circuit design, and no doubt much equipment will perform best using the balanced if it has been designed around this objective. But the myth of inherent balanced superiority does not stand up to common sense logic IMO.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing