New Recording Technique At New Record Label By David Chesky

mglik

Apr 10, 2022
I asked Chesky more than once if they had LPs.
Seems all they have is digital.
Haven’t they ever produced vinyl?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I asked Chesky more than once if they had LPs.
Seems all they have is digital.
Haven’t they ever produced vinyl?

Yes; Chesky was one of the earliest reissue houses. And they did a wonderful job!

mglik

Apr 10, 2022
Thought I knew that Chesky released vinyl.
But do they still have vinyl titles?
If so, I would certainly buy some.

Tuckers

VIP/Donor
Nov 18, 2020
I have listened through these several times. I gotta say, they are doing nothing for me. For context I should say that with reference stereo material my system throws a very wide and deep soundstage that pretty much fills about 50% of my room from my listening chair forward with presence. On these recordings the sound is somewhat indistinct, even a bit 'phasey' sounding with comb filter like effects. It is wide, but just not defined. sometimes a specific instrument or voice pops out clear, but doesn't gel with the rest of the soundscape. And I think the headphone mixes actually sound a bit better played on my speakers than the speaker mix. Also, the program material was not the best to judge this, some being largely electronic without actual room cues etc. Bass was very good though.

wolfwolf

Sep 26, 2021
David Chesky says in his videos that you have to set up the speakers at a 60 degree angle and that the room should be treated accordingly. Most of us will always do some kind of room treatment anyway, but I consider this 60 degrees loudspeaker settings for maximum direct sound radiation to be a difficult specification, because you can't just realign your speakers every time for the Chesky recordings, because a lot of speakers don't sound good in this setup.

I've always liked his binaural technique. But this time I'm slightly disappointed. It doesn't matter whether I set my loudspeakers to 60 degrees or not, in my previous attempts so far, somehow nothing really came across. Maybe my system is too bad, my room too untreated or the requirements are simply too high. I will start a few more attempts, but for now I agree with Tuckers' opinion. I feel the same way.

I've always loved what David Chesky does. He's a real pioneer. I wish him every success from the bottom of my heart.

High fidelity greetings
Wolfgang

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing