New Member From Canada

Adcc

Mar 30, 2021
Edinburgh

Thank you for allowing me into this forum. I bought my first of many tube amps in 1990 And have been collecting and selling equipment and nos tubes since then. I am currently building a new system for my move to Scotland in 2022. So far I have acquired a pair of Wavac 805 monoblocs, Vosne Romanee preamp, Lampizator GG balanced, CEC tl2n transport and a 301 with a nos sme 3012r. Speakers will be custom built horns by Gary Fischer.​

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That's a hell of an opening post. Advance welcome to the UK, things have never been more exciting over here Lol.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A

Thank you for allowing me into this forum. I bought my first of many tube amps in 1990 And have been collecting and selling equipment and nos tubes since then. I am currently building a new system for my move to Scotland in 2022. So far I have acquired a pair of Wavac 805 monoblocs, Vosne Romanee preamp, Lampizator GG balanced, CEC tl2n transport and a 301 with a nos sme 3012r. Speakers will be custom built horns by Gary Fischer.​

A nicely considered and most thoughtful system you have put together @Adcc , I hope you derive much listening pleasure from it :)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Welcome. Fantastic system. I have heard Shindo preamps before...very impressive. Would love hear more about Gary Fischer's horns...anything you can tell us?

Adcc

Mar 30, 2021
Edinburgh
Welcome. Fantastic system. I have heard Shindo preamps before...very impressive. Would love hear more about Gary Fischer's horns...anything you can tell us?
Hi LL21

Gary builds Altec primarily but other speakers too. I approached him with my ideas and we came up with 18” bass drivers, 10” bass midrange drivers and 4” mid and high range Altec 1505 horns. The horns were built by Markus Klug in Germany. The speakers stand about 52” high by 30“ wide by 24” deep. They are about 100db and put the sound in your lap at 15 feet. The drivers are new manufacture tested by Gary.

Gary can be found at Garyfischerspeakers.com I believe, and has been doing accurate Altec reproductions seemingly forever. He is one of the most honest and real people you can deal with. He is also on Facebook at Gary Fischer Speakers.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

I have been a big fan of the Lampi GG for years and here is my report on Altec with the Markus klug horn on top. Have also visited Markus

Would love to listen to the Gary Fisher horns when you move to Scotland as I am in the UK

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's a hell of an opening post. Advance welcome to the UK, things have never been more exciting over here Lol.

Scotland might not be in the UK by the time he gets here

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi LL21

Gary builds Altec primarily but other speakers too. I approached him with my ideas and we came up with 18” bass drivers, 10” bass midrange drivers and 4” mid and high range Altec 1505 horns. The horns were built by Markus Klug in Germany. The speakers stand about 52” high by 30“ wide by 24” deep. They are about 100db and put the sound in your lap at 15 feet. The drivers are new manufacture tested by Gary.

Gary can be found at Garyfischerspeakers.com I believe, and has been doing accurate Altec reproductions seemingly forever. He is one of the most honest and real people you can deal with. He is also on Facebook at Gary Fischer Speakers.

Is the midbass and bass horn loaded?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
This is another exciting Altec project in the works on this forum. Boring thread title, exciting project

Adcc

Mar 30, 2021
Edinburgh
Is the midbass and bass horn loaded?
No, they would need to be a dimension way above any wife acceptance factor lol. Just a mid bass box in a bigger box with horns on top. If the low end is crisp sounding I can get the depth from the horn. The sound is like a 45 good amp with Klipsch La Scalas but with textured bass.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No, they would need to be a dimension way above any wife acceptance factor lol. Just a mid bass box in a bigger box with horns on top. If the low end is crisp sounding I can get the depth from the horn. The sound is like a 45 good amp with Klipsch La Scalas but with textured bass

What drivers are you using? Gary had also stated using Radian in the highs

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi LL21

Wow...sounds very potent...and I imagine potentially extremely efficient which means with high quality even low power let alone mid power, you have a rocketship in your living room.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Adcc!

It promises to be an amazing system that you are putting together!

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

Adcc

Mar 30, 2021
Edinburgh
Wow...sounds very potent...and I imagine potentially extremely efficient which means with high quality even low power let alone mid power, you have a rocketship in your living room.
Hope so. High current amp running at almost idle. Speakers will be happy.

Adcc

Mar 30, 2021
Edinburgh
I have been a big fan of the Lampi GG for years and here is my report on Altec with the Markus klug horn on top. Have also visited Markus

Would love to listen to the Gary Fisher horns when you move to Scotland as I am in the UK

I am a fan of the GG as well. It came with the standard KR5U4G and 242KR tubes. I have WE422A and 274B To try also. Although I haven’t been a fan of the 274B I’ll try it. I’m also going to install a quad of TFK RS241/242 and WE101D from Psvane. We can tube roll when you visit. I am going to part with the rest of my tubes I’m not using before I move. I did sell a ton of less valuable nos tubes and kept the rest - TFK AD1, RGN2504 mesh etc. for future projects. Apparently the future is now and I don’t have the energy or desire to build more amps.

Reactions: bonzo75

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing