New Genesis Products at CES2014

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
One very interesting aspect of loudspeaker design is what you can hear vs what you can measure. Somethings are much more easily heard than measured. One piece in point is Antonio Joseph Bazzini's La Ronde des Lutins (Dance of the Goblins).

Different baffle material, transducer mounting, crossover points, etc. can be easily heard. If there is store/release of energy from the baffle, the very fast notes seem to blur together and the goblins glide like angels instead of making little hoppity steps. If the energy release delay is longer, the goblins can end up doing an off-beat cha cha. Damping the baffle blunts the attack of each step (the damping compound is usually not smart enough to figure out what to damp - the music or the resonance) but also gives space between the goblin's steps. Heavier baffles result in more ponderous steps. You can, however design a baffle with high Q but better damped at a narrower frequency so that it does the least wrong (assuming that there is no perfect material).

If the crossover point is too low (using the heavier titanium cone mid-bass instead of the lighter ribbon midrange) the goblins are more heavy-footed. You also don't want the transition to be heard otherwise you get two different malignities of goblins dancing. Changing the crossover-point still results in a flat frequency response - but after hearing the difference you wouldn't believe that the frequency response is still flat.

How do I know what goblins dancing sound like? It's a preference, folks. At this point in loudspeaker designing, it's all preferences.

The recording I used for this phase of the design was this one.

Itzhak Perlman.jpg

The Perlman performance is the best I have sonically. But the performance I favor is by Zino Francescatti on Youtube. Unfortunately I have not been able to find a good vinyl or CD recording.

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Hey Gary --

Do you have an original of "A Touch of Tabasco" to compare with the reissue? Cucurrucucu Paloma is one of my all time favorite tunes--love Caetano Veleso's interpretation. The Los Lobos is killer on vinyl.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Reason I bought the reissue is that I couldn't find a good copy of the original. Cucurrucucu Paloma is also one of my favorites. I remember it from when my father used to play it.

I didn't pick up the Los Lobos vinyl - but the CD is also killer!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Another guitar album - this one is probably the best I have where it sounds like two friends jamming with each other rather than a "studio session". The liner notes called it "ebulliently relaxed" and I couldn't agree more. It's an album to play through - so I don't know if it will make good demo music, but it certainly makes great music to spend time with.

One of Chet Atkin's heros who shaped his playing style was Les Paul. Chet's older brother Jim worked on a trio with Les Paul, and Chet would listen to them on an old two-tube battery-powered radio he built (an early audiophile!!). Jim would come home, and show Chet some of the Les Paul fingering. Fast forward to the early '70s and it happened that Chet was in New York for a tour with Arthur Fiedler. Les Paul was also in the city, and Les and Chet spent a long afternoon of music in a room at the Hotel Warwick. So good and fulfilling a time was had that Chet persuaded Les to come out of retirement and make an album together. This is album is the result, studio banter and all, plus a few mistakes included. As Les Paul said, "What the hell, it sounds good, so let's keep it."

Chester & Lester.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
This is a gorgeous sounding album by Anoushka Shankar, daughter of Ravi Shankar and half-sister to Norah Jones. It's listed under "Indian Music" by Deutsche Grammophone, but it's much more than that. I think that it would appeal internationally - to jazz, classical, and vocal lovers. Norah Jones sings and plays the piano on 3 tracks.

The 180gm LP pressed in Germany feels more substantial than other 180gm LPs...... I wonder why?

Anoushka.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Now for something completely different, an album that was mostly made by one man - Doctor 'Crazy Joe' Tritschler. Dr. Simon Josef Tritschler teaches Engineering at the Wright State University, is an Emmy-winning recording engineer, an audiophile who manufactures a phono preamplifier, and a roots-based musician.

On this album, he plays (now get this!) drums, electric bass, electric guitar, acoustic rhythm guitar, twin electric lead guitar, electric ukulele, maracas, tambourine and hand claps. He also sings lead vocal, rhythm vocals and background vocals. It was recorded to 1-inch 8-track tape using an all-analog signal path with no coupling transformers or capacitors, no equalization, and "little" dynamic compression in a studio he hand-built from scratch.

I say 'mostly made by one man' because he had an accompanist on Hammond Organ. Buying the LP also gets you a free 24-bit 88.2kHz download.

What's most important is not how was done, but how fun the music is. A great album for a slow Saturday morning!!

Crazy Joe.jpg

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Now for something completely different, an album that was mostly made by one man - Doctor 'Crazy Joe' Tritschler. Dr. Simon Josef Tritschler teaches Engineering at the Wright State University, is an Emmy-winning recording engineer, an audiophile who manufactures a phono preamplifier, and a roots-based musician.

On this album, he plays (now get this!) drums, electric bass, electric guitar, acoustic rhythm guitar, twin electric lead guitar, electric ukulele, maracas, tambourine and hand claps. He also sings lead vocal, rhythm vocals and background vocals. It was recorded to 1-inch 8-track tape using an all-analog signal path with no coupling transformers or capacitors, no equalization, and "little" dynamic compression in a studio he hand-built from scratch.

I say 'mostly made by one man' because he had an accompanist on Hammond Organ. Buying the LP also gets you a free 24-bit 88.2kHz download.

What's most important is not how was done, but how fun the music is. A great album for a slow Saturday morning!!

View attachment 13128

+1!

Gotta love a guy who sings about gals puking in his car.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'll be introducing the Genesis Music Source at CES 2014, so the next few albums are on digital.

The first is the excellent La Folia on SACD - ripped to DSD64 (PCM equivalent 24bits/44.1kHz). One this disc, it's not just the ambiance, but I would call it the 'atmosphere'. You feel transported back in time/space to medieval Spain.

La Spagna.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Another brilliant performance by the Boston Symphony Orchestra - conducted by Charles Munch is Saint-Saens' Symphony No. 3. The LPs I have are all pretty noisy and this obscures the gentle development of the first movement. The ripped SACD is much better.

Munch Organ Symphony.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I quite a fan of band music, but marching bands don't record well. However, Telarc made several great recordings of Frederick Fennel with various wind bands. This one is with the Cleveland Symphonic Winds and was a direct transfer of the 50kHz Soundstream digital tape to DSD.

The LP has Bach's Fantasia in G which is missing on the SACD. However, the SACD has a bunch of great marches, and Lincolnshire Posy. Fun stuff!!

Fennell Winds.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here's the Genesis 4 loudspeaker that I'll be showing at CES in a few days. It's a prototype as I'm still working on the 10-inch woofer that will be featured on this speaker. The prototype uses our 8-inch woofer that is also featured in the G5.3 and the G7.2f.

G4 3qtr-small.jpg

The back panel of this loudspeaker is what I expect will drive audiophiles crazy.

Back Plate Small.jpg

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Another prototype we will be showing is the G-Source.

I have showed with a music server every CES since CES2006, building a new version almost every year. I first published a 'recipe' in 2008, and in 2010, I conducted a 'build your own server' workshop. The server recipe has been discussed quite a bit here and there are a few WBF members who have built various generations of my server.
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?7385-Gary-s-Music-Server

There are also lots of 'how-to' articles on-line, and there are many computer shops who will build one for you from various published recipes.

However, dealers and customers still keep asking me to build one for them. The only way that I can keep track of and support the servers I build is to turn it into a real product. Hence, the G-Source.

GRA1440-small.jpg

It will be different from my server recipe in a number of ways:

1) Instead of taking Windows and stripping it down, it starts with Linux and is built up.
2) It's got a built-in 'starter' DAC. Transformer-decoupled and galvanically isolated analog output.
3) Built-in linear power supply.
4) DLNA, uPnP compatible
5) OS agnostic. Control it with either Android or iOS apps (there are quite a few compatible ones)
6) Format agnostic. I've deliberately NOT provided a format/sampling rate display as I find that too many people are too obsessed with the format ignoring the music.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Another guitar album - this one is probably the best I have where it sounds like two friends jamming with each other rather than a "studio session". The liner notes called it "ebulliently relaxed" and I couldn't agree more. It's an album to play through - so I don't know if it will make good demo music, but it certainly makes great music to spend time with.

One of Chet Atkin's heros who shaped his playing style was Les Paul. Chet's older brother Jim worked on a trio with Les Paul, and Chet would listen to them on an old two-tube battery-powered radio he built (an early audiophile!!). Jim would come home, and show Chet some of the Les Paul fingering. Fast forward to the early '70s and it happened that Chet was in New York for a tour with Arthur Fiedler. Les Paul was also in the city, and Les and Chet spent a long afternoon of music in a room at the Hotel Warwick. So good and fulfilling a time was had that Chet persuaded Les to come out of retirement and make an album together. This is album is the result, studio banter and all, plus a few mistakes included. As Les Paul said, "What the hell, it sounds good, so let's keep it."

View attachment 13108

http://www.frankdoris.com/writing/fi/leschet.htm

Great long forgotten interview by Frank with Les Paul!

http://www.frankdoris.com/writing/tas/lespaul.htm

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gary you gotta play some Black Box from your Black Box! :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing