New Avalon speakers

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Ahh, the Ascents! I came sooo close to buying a pair of them a couple of years ago. So what do you think of them so far? Have you compared them to the Ascendants?

I am very happy with them Johngp, and yes, I have heard almost all speakers from the Avalon line except from the Sentinel. I would only consider changing my Ascents for the Indras or Time models.

wig

Apr 1, 2012
I'm running my Ascendants with a Vac 160i tube integrated amp (86 watt) and they sound amazing, talk about musicality... My speakers are currently 7' apart, 50" from back and side wall with a listening distance of 7'. Do you think I should move them to 8' apart with a 8' listening distance? My listening/living room is 15' W x 20' L.

Thanks,
Wig

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
I'm running my Ascendants with a Vac 160i tube integrated amp (86 watt) and they sound amazing, talk about musicality... My speakers are currently 7' apart, 50" from back and side wall with a listening distance of 7'. Do you think I should move them to 8' apart with a 8' listening distance? My listening/living room is 15' W x 20' L.

Thanks,
Wig

One thing I listen for when selecting intra-speaker difference is balancing center image stability vs. transparency. Too close and the sound loses its see thru quality; too far apart and center images are too big. (not all that different than what Dave Wilson does, 'cept I don't believe in separating the speakers that far apart in general.).

wig

Apr 1, 2012
MylesBAstor,

Thanks for your prompt response! I guess they are spot on since someone else mention for their size 7' is better even though dealers set them up 9-10' apart. I'm finding that 1/8" toe-in provides better ambiance retrevial and is completely lost at 1/4" and for me ambiance and soundstaging is key to mimicking a live performance and know that some prefer 1/2-1" toe-in for pin-point imaging but mine are truly holographic at 1/8"

Wig:)

One thing I listen for when selecting intra-speaker difference is balancing center image stability vs. transparency. Too close and the sound loses its see thru quality; too far apart and center images are too big. (not all that different than what Dave Wilson does, 'cept I don't believe in separating the speakers that far apart in general.).

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Welcome to the WBF, wig! It can be amazing how tight tolerances can be with regards to placing a speaker.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
MylesBAstor,

Thanks for your prompt response! I guess they are spot on since someone else mention for their size 7' is better even though dealers set them up 9-10' apart. I'm finding that 1/8" toe-in provides better ambiance retrevial and is completely lost at 1/4" and for me ambiance and soundstaging is key to mimicking a live performance and know that some prefer 1/2-1" toe-in for pin-point imaging but mine are truly holographic at 1/8"

Wig:)

Wig - I have a minimum toe-in on my Avalons, some years ago Neil Pattel told me that, generally speaking, no toe-in was necessary on the early Avalon models, this of course depends on your room behavior and resonance peaks, but tend to coincide with Myles observation that too much toe creates a larger-then-real center image acoustic size.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hyperion, these pair were an un-finished option - the late avalon dealer here had them professionaly finished in this colour to match with a pair of Model 9 JRDG amps they were showing at the audio room.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing