New arrival....Miyabi Fuuga

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Fair enough. The Mint isn't exactly cheap either.

An issue i have is the Ikeda arm requires a specific jig. Dr feikart gives an incorrect result, as i learned in my Van den Hul thread.
The turning point was discovering Tracking Wizard custom designed protractors and buying one specifically for my arm.

Is the Smartractor sufficiently flexible to cope, or would one order a tonearm-specific version?
This seems unlikely to me, given the cost.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
The Uni Pro is designed to accept an array of standard or custom inserts for different alignments and arms. This is what I use. One of my clients has a smarttractor and iirc it is fixed, but I don't recall the options...

Reactions: infinitely baffled

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
As an aside, I'm finding i haven't enough hours in the day to do all of the listening i want. All my favourites clamour to be played.
As seems possible when changing transducers, either end of the chain
the new presentation has me rediscovering my record collection. Hifi nirvana?

I should also report that now is the first time i have everything as it should be.
With the help of forum members i had my Grand Cru set up as well as possible, but still fundamentally incompatible with my high mass tonearm. But it was never meant to be a pairing, and with the arrival of fuuga i finally have a low compliance cartridge on my high mass tonearm.

To be fair to my Colibri, this likely explains the sense of 'rightness' that i was first struck by. And going forward, I'm equally excited to hear what a Colibri MSS is truly capable of when sympathetically paired with a medium mass tonearm, the Schroeder LT i have on order.

Reactions: Jon

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
The Uni Pro is designed to accept an array of standard or custom inserts for different alignments and arms. This is what I use. One of my clients has a smarttractor and iirc it is fixed, but I don't recall the options...
I've done a bit of reading and it is said to be able to accomodate any pivoted tonearm

all 5 tangential alignments are based on true triangular positioning and thus are independent of effective length and thus suitable for ALL pivot tonearms, no matter what their effective length or mounting position.

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I've done a bit of reading and it is said to be able to accomodate any pivoted tonearm

all 5 tangential alignments are based on true triangular positioning and thus are independent of effective length and thus suitable for ALL pivot tonearms, no matter what their effective length or mounting position.

Correct, the Smartractor is not bound to a specific arm. You may need to adjust the manufacturer numbers for P-S if you’re going to use an alignment that’s different than what they designed to.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest

The Mint is okay, also the WallyTractor - both use two point arc alignment and are good for a single tonearm whereas the Smartractor and Uni-PRO use a single point without the arc; the latter is easier to use, imo. The Wally and the Brakemeier protractors have a pin point sized divot where the stylus tip should go when it is on the mark, giving high assurance of precision. The Mint does not have the divot and relies on sight. A correct alignment is possible with any of these. It comes down to ease of use and multiple vs single tonearm support.

A key for all of these is having the correct pivot-to-spindle (P2S) distance implemented for yr arm.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Em

The Mint is okay, also the WallyTractor - both use two point arc alignment and are good for a single tonearm whereas the Smartractor and Uni-PRO use a single point without the arc; the latter is easier to use, imo. The Wally and the Brakemeier protractors have a pin point sized divot where the stylus tip should go when it is on the mark, giving high assurance of precision. The Mint does not have the divot and relies on sight. A correct alignment is possible with any of these. It comes down to ease of use and multiple vs single tonearm support.

A key for all of these is having the correct pivot-to-spindle (P2S) distance implemented for yr arm.
Embarrassingly I can't find any examples of the Uni-PRO tool available. The only references i can find are an archived thread referring to a since- expired ad on Audiogon, and references to it in the SMARTractor blurb.
Do you know if it is still available for purchase?

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Embarrassingly I can't find any examples of the Uni-PRO tool available. The only references i can find are an archived thread referring to a since- expired ad on Audiogon, and references to it in the SMARTractor blurb.
Do you know if it is still available for purchase?

Send an email to the North American distributor for a dealer near you: info@rutherfordaudio.com

I doubt you need the UNI-Pro but is very nice to work with.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
What do people think of the Arche headshell?

Shuggie

Sep 9, 2020
UK
ammonite-audio.co.uk
What do people think of the Arche headshell?

Expensive, but so easily adjusted in all directions and they are probably the best sounding headshells that I've used. Quite heavy, but the newer Arche L has reduced mass of 15g. If you can swallow the price, then you won't regret buying one.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Nice one Shuggie?

Btw i now have Smartractor on order, x2.
One for me, one for my dealer

Reactions: tima

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Can i ask how much anti-skate my fellow Fuuga owners are using?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018
Fuuga owners do any of you tried or is any one using a SUT whit fuuga?

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
A wee postscript:

I had some trouble getting the l- r balance correct. Things seemed to be somewhat canted over to the left channel. The eureka moment arrived recently when i played a particularly insubstantial lp, and the issue became really pronounced.

So i deducted that, given the issue was more pronounced with a thinner record, the problem must be related to vta and not azimuth, as i had previously thought.
So i adjusted the vta, effectively bringing the cartridge ever so slightly down at the rear, and the sound is transformed. Firstly the stereo balance is now spot on, secondly it seems to have really opened up the top end.
Meaning the air region now sparkles in a way that is more reminiscent of a vdH cartridge.
A big improvement and I'm kicking myself for not realising sooner

Reactions: Johan K and tima

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
I think Kodomo is the man, just awaiting delivery of his DaVa?

amadeus

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2018

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
Can someone describe the sonic character of a Fuuga in comparison to
- Stonebody Koetsu
- AirTight Opus 1
- Dynavector XV-1s or t
- Ortofon Anna, Anna Diamond, Verismo or Century?

Just to get an idea, in which direction it goes.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing