New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Joker is unique, but I'll be thrilled if he and the Nuggets pull the NBA back a bit toward big man ball/2pt shot vs relentless focus on 3s.

Reactions: jadis
Joker is unique, but I'll be thrilled if he and the Nuggets pull the NBA back a bit toward big man ball/2pt shot vs relentless focus on 3s.
I can't see it happening as the 3 is the weapon that the team use to beat these big guys

Same here. I haven't been a fan of a team that trains 75% of their players with 3 point shots. Not even a fan of the Splash Brothers who revolutionized the game to the point you don't need true centers and true power forwards.

Yes Jack, Midgets, LOL, have to go back a long way for that.

Somehow, my all-time (just counting my time) most impressive defense was that of Chuck Daly. We Celtics tasted it first hand but we were able to beat them for a few years till they finally got us, and they would do the same thing to the Bulls and the Lakers. Of course they had the manpower or beef to do it, Rodman, Sally, Mahorn, Laimbeer, not to mention Thomas and Dumars on the 'small' side. Next era was the very physical D played by the Heat of JVG and Knicks of Riley which sometimes results in hot altercations and even fight culminated by the later era Pacers Pistons super brawl (Ron Artest and Ben Wallace) which changed the league rules forever. The end of sanctioned hard fouls. These days defense have to be clean and honest, I personally like the D of the Celtics last season under Udoka. As I mentioned, Denver's biggest challenge was to counter the zone of Miami as that kind of Heat defense often leads to them making comebacks a habitual thing. And on top of that, Denver designed their own D to counter the multiple 3 ball shooters of the Heat. The only win of the Heat was a result of their 3 ball shooting spree, as they did much in their Eastern campaign. Game 5 was probably the lowest 3 ball output for both teams, and each team had to go back to the traditional 2 ball, inside and medium range games. In a way, that was how Denver was able to force Miami to play 2 ball, we won't let you shoot open and uncontested 3s. Lowry was the only exception. :D For some reasons, opponents don't get killed by Lowry's 3s, but they get killed by the outburst of 3s by either Martin, Vincent, Strus, or Robinson. That is based on the scoresheets but I don't know why that is. :D

Indeed, this season is the best in recent memory, as Steve had said many times, and despite our home teams not winning, we still enjoy the game that we all love in the end. On to the next. I'll be checking on who the C's trade for since they have virtually no significant draft pick. LOL
I'll give you all of them but man Bill Laimbeer was just dirty and really good at it.

The later detroit team with Chauncy, Prince, Wallace and Wallace were bad@$$ too.

I wonder what it would take to bring that culture back. On paper they have the potential to be another monster defensive team next year. Might even sneak into the play in. Not that that means much to any team except the Heat.

...and that was my subtle congratulations from hot, hot Miami baby. I want to go there someday :)

I can't see it happening as the 3 is the weapon that the team use to beat these big guys
Steve, but now Denver has proven the 3 can't beat their big guys.

Steve, but now Denver has proven the 3 can't beat their big guys.
Thats because Denver has its own group of 3 point shooters. It'll never happen. Three point shooting has taken over the league and will never go away but to have a guy like Jokic plus 3 talented 3 point shooters is icing on the cake

His unique skill in running ball down end to end and making a short layup is amazing for a big and heavy man. I mean he's not Ralph Sampson frame. Lol.

Thats because Denver has its own group of 3 point shooters. It'll never happen. Three point shooting has taken over the league and will never go away but to have a guy like Jokic plus 3 talented 3 point shooters is icing on the cake
Oh and BTW FWIW Jokic is probably the best 3 point shooter Denver has. I keep saying that this high arcing rainbow shots seem to fall out of the rafters as they are indefensible

I'll give you all of them but man Bill Laimbeer was just dirty and really good at it.

The later detroit team with Chauncy, Prince, Wallace and Wallace were bad@$$ too.

I wonder what it would take to bring that culture back. On paper they have the potential to be another monster defensive team next year. Might even sneak into the play in. Not that that means much to any team except the Heat.

...and that was my subtle congratulations from hot, hot Miami baby. I want to go there someday :)

Laimbeer is the pioneer of 'legal' dirty plays. He makes the McHale clothesline like amateur work. :D

Oh and BTW FWIW Jokic is probably the best 3 point shooter Denver has. I keep saying that this high arcing rainbow shots seem to fall out of the rafters as they are indefensible
True. He's from Europe where 3s were invented. :D

There was a debate with Stephen A and I think Jay Williams on Shaq versus Jokic. Stephen A took Shaq. But Joker can do more things, according to Williams.

Same here. I haven't been a fan of a team that trains 75% of their players with 3 point shots. Not even a fan of the Splash Brothers who revolutionized the game to the point you don't need true centers and true power forwards.
Well if the last playoffs are any measure it shows that with the proliferation of shooters bigs matter again. 3 out of the 4 semifinals teams had two bigs start. I think we can agree to count LBJ as a big considering it was he, AD and 3 guards the majority of the time.

Maybe we're headed for an equilibrium. Shooting with an equal emphasis on rebounding. Offensive rebounding in particular. Think about it. Bomb away from three as much as the opponent lets you but you get 2 points off a miss in the 24 seconds plus a fraction if you count past a clock reset. That is deadly, deadly stuff. That is spirit breaking man. It's not going to be easy for these guys. Hats off to them. 82 games then playoffs. Jeeeeez.

Exciting times for game nerds like us. Might we even see passed over players whose skill sets are now returning to vogue? Naaah not unless they can shoot threes LOL Sigh.

Reactions: jadis

The Pistons have a god coach now. I have always liked the style of Monty and wish him luck

Laimbeer is the pioneer of 'legal' dirty plays. He makes the McHale clothesline like amateur work. :D
do we really want to see a return of The Bad Boys. Definitely not part of the game as we know it now. I hated Laimbeer so much. He was "The Equalizer"

Reactions: christoph
do we really want to see a return of The Bad Boys. Definitely not part of the game as we know it now. I hated Laimbeer so much. He was "The Equalizer"
It can't. League rules, and referees are very much in control of hard fouls. There were no flagrant 2s before. Bill is one of the most hated basketball players in those times.

Lets see how that bunch does. Their season should be interesting. I think I will follow them next year as well as OKC now with another year of development under their belt.

SAC will be a monster. I'm pissed about the Grizzlies implosion. Phoenix is gonna make moves as will LA. The team in the west that seems to have the least options are the Dubs.

Hell no. Good riddance to that kind of ball.

Reactions: christoph
and the next season's work has already begun....

2023 NBA draft: Complete order of picks for the first and second round

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing