New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

Sorry Phil. That clover was missing a leaf. :(

Nuggs get me a Pizza but my heart goes for Spo.

I have always believed who rains in the outside shots win, this is how the league is carved. Celtics have no such pure shooters in the rotation. All are converted 3 shooters. Nobody regards Tatum as a Reggie Miller or Klay type. I have felt that this game will be played with the same tactic Spo used many times, play like you've got nothing to lose and shoot the 3s early. Then the defense takes over. At least I will be more relaxed. Celts win 3 in a row, and not getting swept is the consolation. Nobody came up with 50 points and that was the only chance for the Celtics. On to Denver, I will be on the same boat where Jack's pizza will be. :D

Celtics lost 6 of 7 when Vegas favors them. That is the Key stat. It's a sign to bet on the opposite. Lol

Reactions: jadis
Reactions: christoph
The saying goes; "Live by the three, die by the three." Which Boston did.

I though Boston had Game three won, when Marcus Smart hit threes, and a steal at the start of the third quarter.
But then he quietened down.
It's what Boston needed in Game 7.

Smart to hit some threes, Al Horford, Robert Williams, and Brogdon to score more.
And with a hobbled Taytum?
Someone needed to go off. Or a bunch of them in spurts.

It came down to shooting percentage. The Heat hit more, and hit more threes.

The saying goes; "Live by the three, die by the three." Which Boston did.

It came down to shooting percentage. The Heat hit more, and hit more threes.
Miami doesn't live and die with the 3? They have 8 pure 3 point shooters, lots of them undrafted. The unique element with them is the undrafted and very cheap salaried ones. (Vincent, Martin and Stus combine for about $10m). Who has those types? Warriors pay Curry, Klay and Poole big bucks, all 3 ballers. Boston is a copycat. Tatum , Brown, Smart and Horford never were 3 ball shooters at the beginning of their careers. But as I had pointed out before, coach Brad Stevens wanted everyone to have a 3 point shooting range, with a 6'11" center named Olynyk. Then Grant Williams followed. All because the trend is to shoot 3s. No defense can stop 4 three ball shooters in the starting 5. And teams win some and lose some with this tactic, depends on how the 3s rain in or out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Williams
Miami doesn't live and die with the 3? They have 8 pure 3 point shooters, lots of them undrafted. The unique element with them is the undrafted and very cheap salaried ones. (Vincent, Martin and Stus combine for about $10m). Who has those types? Warriors pay Curry, Klay and Poole big bucks, all 3 ballers. Boston is a copycat. Tatum , Brown, Smart and Horford never were 3 ball shooters at the beginning of their careers. But as I had pointed out before, coach Brad Stevens wanted everyone to have a 3 point shooting range, with a 6'11" center named Olynyk. Then Grant Williams followed. All because the trend is to shoot 3s. No defense can stop 4 three ball shooters in the starting 5. And teams win some and lose some with this tactic, depends on how the 3s rain in or out.
Key to 3-4 long range shooters getting free is having someone who can beat their player one on one and get in the paint to collapse the defense.
Or inefficient screen defense and players who can score off screen action.

Key to 3-4 long range shooters getting free is having someone who can beat their player one on one and get in the paint to collapse the defense.
Or inefficient screen defense and players who can score off screen action.
That is the necessary design to free up the 3 shooter. But you must have a lot of dependable 3 ball shooters in the first place. Who do Bucks and Sixers have. Maybe a handful. Miami assembled this lineup for this purpose. Even Kevin Love, the power forward that I admired when in Minnesota, is simply a 3 point shooter with the Heat. But he got replaced by Caleb Martin in the starting lineup, a much better shooter.

I just read that Tatum sprained his ankle in the first play of game. That's how you know the odds aren't stacked in your favor. :D There will never be another Isiah Thomas scoring 42 points with a sprain in the playoffs.

Heat are just a mentally tougher team top to bottom, and the wrong one to get in a 3 shooting contest. Will be interesting to see where your Cs go from here Phil. I doubt they’ll break up major parts, but I think Tatum and Brown have to play as more than the sum of their parts; it’s one or the other doing things now, a duo in name only.

I’ll take the Nuggets over the Heat. I think they’re equally tough but more talented, and will have the best player on the floor.

Reactions: jadis
Heat are just a mentally tougher team top to bottom, and the wrong one to get in a 3 shooting contest. Will be interesting to see where your Cs go from here Phil. I doubt they’ll break up major parts, but I think Tatum and Brown have to play as more than the sum of their parts; it’s one or the other doing things now, a duo in name only.

I’ll take the Nuggets over the Heat. I think they’re equally tough but more talented, and will have the best player on the floor.
Firstly, I was agreeing with you yesterday, Bob, about the Heat will take it. I just didn't want to voice it because of keeping the faith, as Steve always kindly told me. Lol. I had been telling my son, even in in regular season, that I'm bored in watching Celtics play. It's very predictable, and win usually with hot shooting. As to this duo, again, I agree that they are in name only, first team and second team. How did that came about? STATS. I'm not a believe in stats really. So I marvel more at how Strus, Vincent, Martin and Robinson would rise up to the occasion more than Brown. IMO, it's more of a playing system change needed. And I am impressed at Denver's cohesion as a unit. Something like Phoenix when they were in the Finals.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing