New Album & The Beginning of Basketball Season

How about this for a laugh. LeBron received his first game suspension of his career BUT….,…..,

Lakers to save over $500K in luxury tax payments thanks to LeBron James' one-game suspension​

The Los Angeles Lakers would obviously prefer to have LeBron James on the floor on Tuesday when they travel to Madison Square Garden to take on the New York Knicks, but his suspension takes matters out of their hands. James will miss that game after hitting Detroit Pistons center Isaiah Stewart in the face on Sunday, and while his suspension will put the Lakers at a disadvantage, there is one silver lining for them. His absence will save the Lakers a fairly significant chunk of change.

The suspension itself will cost James $284,004, according to ESPN's Bobby Marks. That alone is fairly significant, but it gets better for Los Angeles. They will be awarded a luxury tax credit of $142,002, half of that money, which ultimately projects to save them $532,508 in total. Why so much? Because the luxury tax is not dollar-for-dollar. The tax goes up the deeper a team delves into it, and the Lakers, with a payroll of nearly $157 million, are far above the line. That means that savings of any kind are amplified.
Lakers fans obviously don't care if the Buss family saves money, but such savings are meaningful considering how the

Lakers fans obviously don't care if the Buss family saves money, but such savings are meaningful considering how the Lakers built their roster. This is a team with 10 players making minimum salaries. They chose not to re-sign Alex Caruso at a discount largely because of the luxury tax costs. This is not a team that is willing to spend recklessly. Savings matter to this front office.

They might even come in handy at the trade deadline or on the buyout market when adding talent would certainly carry an enormous financial cost, though, for the time being, there is little evidence suggesting that the Lakers plan to be aggressive in upgrading their roster. Ultimately, this suspension is unlikely to have a meaningful on-court impact for the Lakers beyond the Knicks game, but the luxury tax has been a thorn in their side this season, and saving a bit of money against it can't hurt.

Reactions: jadis
Back and forth most of the game but the Mavs are pulling ahead late in the 4th with a hot hand beyond the arc.

Fournier never shot that well as a Celtic. :( He got a nice contract over at NY.
Quite a few players rather underperform when they are with the Celtics :eek:
Now that you mentioned this, it became obvious to me that some players were better before AND after they were with the Celtics :oops:
Do you have an idea why this could be?

Quite a few players rather underperform when they are with the Celtics :eek:
Now that you mentioned this, it became obvious to me that some players were better before AND after they were with the Celtics :oops:
Do you have an idea why this could be?
Well, I have to say 'coaching'. Brad Stevens didn't give them the proper playing time, and 2, the coaching staff, notable those in charge of player development is poor at their jobs. Take for example, Golden State, how they developed Looney and Poole. Poole actually hit 32 points a few days ago and he is now a mainstay in the rotation. And last night, this guy Quickley of NY, coach Thibs used him a lot in the 4th and I was surprised not to see RJ Barrett or Kemba down the stretch.

the changing of the guard in the NBA continues with every game. There is nothing sacred anymore as there are just so many good teams in the league. The standings at season end will undoubtedly reflect all of the shake out

I have to admit that I have liked Carmelo's play this year in a Lakers uniform. In fact IMO he was the only decent trade made by the Lakers in the off season. I thought this wa gratifying to watch last night

Carmelo receives standing ovation from MSG crowd

Reactions: christoph and jadis
@phil I thought this was a good read re the Celtics

The ever-tinkering Boston Celtics and the rocky road back to NBA Finals contention

Yes Steve, it says everything about the Celtics journey from the time they got Tatum and expectations were high. I personally don't blame the acquisition of Kyrie and Hayward on the management or coach, it just wasn't meant to be. That first five in that year indeed was as potent from can be. The flowers just wilted in the sun. Today, it's all about who will help these 2 stars for them to move to a higher level.

Reactions: Steve Williams
I have to admit that I have liked Carmelo's play this year in a Lakers uniform. In fact IMO he was the only decent trade made by the Lakers in the off season. I thought this wa gratifying to watch last night

Carmelo receives standing ovation from MSG crowd

Like Westbrook, I find Carmelo a hard working player but still looking for a team to fit their skills. Imo, Westbrook does not need another point guard around him. It kinda bothers his game to have a literally bigger brother shadowing him. And Melo, has become the Mike Miller or Battier or Kevin Love of LeGM, when he's hitting his 3s, he's a good acquisition.

Even though the Bulls are the Cinderella team this year with Lonzo et al, I must admit that the play of his younger brother LaMelo that I find exciting. The Hornets are an up and coming team and I like their style of play

LaMelo Ball renews spark in Hornets, much to Michael Jordan's delight

For the first time in Michael Jordan's ownership tenure, Charlotte is a player in the East -- thanks largely to his phenom guard, LaMelo Ball.

I must admi5t that when Zion was drafted by the Pels I expected a big turn around in the team. Here we are some 4 years later and the Pels have failed to do anything it seems because Zion is always injured in the off season. The Pels traded most of the players they acquired from the Lakers in the AD trade all of whom have gone on to improve their new teams while the Pets remain in the cellar once again

Is Zion an asset or a liability. I always felt his playing weight was excessive

WHEN WILL ZION BE BACK?

I must admi5t that when Zion was drafted by the Pels I expected a big turn around in the team. Here we are some 4 years later and the Pels have failed to do anything it seems because Zion is always injured in the off season. The Pels traded most of the players they acquired from the Lakers in the AD trade all of whom have gone on to improve their new teams while the Pets remain in the cellar once again

Is Zion an asset or a liability. I always felt his playing weight was excessive

WHEN WILL ZION BE BACK?

He's one star rookie who didn't need to bulk up when he entered the league. I read that his culinary choices are being changed by the Pelicans, a rare job for an NBA team.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing