New 108 amp model two

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
My Dartzeel distributor told me the NHB-108 will not have enough grip on my speakers and therefore lack of bass.
He has a pair of CS 3.7s at home and has tried many different amp brands with them and came to the conclusion that class A amps gave the best result.
I guess Aries Cerat 65 monos could be a good choice.

redandgold

Jun 3, 2018
My Dartzeel distributor told me the NHB-108 will not have enough grip on my speakers and therefore lack of bass.
He has a pair of CS 3.7s at home and has tried many different amp brands with them and came to the conclusion that class A amps gave the best result.
I guess Aries Cerat 65 monos could be a good choice.

Probably no lack of bass, but no perfect grip and control of the bass drivers. And therefore unprecise bass.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Probably no lack of bass, but no perfect grip and control of the bass drivers. And therefore unprecise bass.

I'm not spending 32K in an amp that doesn't have enough grip on the bass drivers, better look at things like the Ayre MX-R Twenty.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm not spending 32K in an amp that doesn't have enough grip on the bass drivers, better look at things like the Ayre MX-R Twenty.

The 108 is fantastic. I've driven tough loads (Dynaudio) with it, and it was fabulous. Still my #1 stereo amp, after all these years. Ayre? Not even a good example for an amp with good bass control, tons of others do much better in that particular aspect.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
And just FYI, and believe I told you this before, a few years ago... I've a local friend who owned the same Thiel speakers as you do, and by far the best amp on them was the CTH-8550 integrated. Nothing could touch it, monoblocks even.
Of course, he has since moved on to different (and better -- to his ears) speakers, and changed the whole system, as audiophiles are prone to do...

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
The 108 is fantastic. I've driven tough loads (Dynaudio) with it, and it was fabulous. Still my #1 stereo amp, after all these years. Ayre? Not even a good example for an amp with good bass control, tons of others do much better in that particular aspect.

Thanks for your input, perhaps i should demo the newer 108 model 2 which is more powerful and therefore might have a better grip on the bass driver.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Thanks for your input, perhaps i should demo the newer 108 model 2 which is more powerful and therefore might have a better grip on the bass driver.

I suppose the CS 3.7 is somewhat challenging in that it bottoms out at 2.8 Ohms, and I believe the 108 output power actually declines between 4 ohm and 2 ohms. Coupled with a highish output impedance, I can see it not being the ideal amp (on paper) for those speakers. Way back in the day, I had Thiel CS2.2s and at least back then Classe' amps were a common and great sounding pairing with Thiels. Is that still the case today? Quite honestly, with a speaker that drops into the 2-ohm range, I don't think I'd trust a highish output impedance amp even at higher power like the Model 2. But it can't hurt to try if the opportunity presents itself because the Dart stuff is so good that you really might even want to consider replacing the Thiels if that is what it takes, to be honest. :)

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Wisnon, you are a lucky one. Did you hear them in Switzerland?

In my opinion you to hear the final version in reality. Speculation is interesting, but does not help for judgment.

I asked Hervé too and heard only the model two comes sonically closer to the 458 with deeper bass. But what does this meen? In your mind everything and nothing.

More than this, Herve' told me the Model 2 uses the very same electronic circuitry as the 458, but with a smaller power supply and lower output power. Essentially, it sounds like the Model 2 is a baby 458. Herve' also said "sonic signature and unlimited dynamics" are the new keywords with Model 2. I'm not sure how to interpret that. Perhaps Mr. Lavigne or Alex can shed light on the sonic differences between Model One and 458 as this should roughly tell us about the delta between Model One and Model Two, subjectively.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
More than this, Herve' told me the Model 2 uses the very same electronic circuitry as the 458, but with a smaller power supply and lower output power. Essentially, it sounds like the Model 2 is a baby 458. Herve' also said "sonic signature and unlimited dynamics" are the new keywords with Model 2. I'm not sure how to interpret that. Perhaps Mr. Lavigne or Alex can shed light on the sonic differences between Model One and 458 as this should roughly tell us about the delta between Model One and Model Two, subjectively.
Yes, exactly what Hereve told me as well.

I dont know the model 1 , so cant judge. I heard the 458 a few years back and it was a similar experienece.

I will be at Chez Herve this evening, bu not sure how much music we will do.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
And just FYI, and believe I told you this before, a few years ago... I've a local friend who owned the same Thiel speakers as you do, and by far the best amp on them was the CTH-8550 integrated. Nothing could touch it, monoblocks even.
Of course, he has since moved on to different (and better -- to his ears) speakers, and changed the whole system, as audiophiles are prone to do...

The CHT-8550 sounds much more powerful than the 108 - it could drive with success my Soundlab A1PX with torroid II, although not the previous version, that was less efficient. Unfortunately, the 108 could not drive any of them and no way the CTH 8550 sound like the NH18-NHB108 combo.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

No possible comparison between the 108 and the 458, IMHO. Even (or particularly ... ) at low levels. I have found this in many other brands, the top model sounds great, but unfortunately the model that is supposed to sound 90% costing one third the price pales compared to the big brother.

asiufy

Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Yes you're right, you can't compare the CTH-8550 to the 108... The 108 is much better :)

I always thought the 458 and the 108 sounded alike. What makes the 458 special is the virtually unlimited power, which causes the music to flow free, attacks gain an extra "bite". Even on a reasonably efficient speaker (Evolution Acoustics), it was easy to hear what the 458 was doing over the 108, and it was basically all about all that extra power on tap.

The only issue I see with the 108 (mk1) is the opposite of what the 458 brings. Not enough power. In a large-ish room, with inefficient speakers, the music will seem constrained, imbalanced, and even shouty at times. But in the right room, with the right speakers, I don't know any other stereo amp that does what it does.

I'm dying to hear the mk2 now. Plans are afoot for that to happen sooner rather than later, so we'll see :)

alex

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Yes you're right, you can't compare the CTH-8550 to the 108... The 108 is much better :)

I always thought the 458 and the 108 sounded alike. What makes the 458 special is the virtually unlimited power, which causes the music to flow free, attacks gain an extra "bite". Even on a reasonably efficient speaker (Evolution Acoustics), it was easy to hear what the 458 was doing over the 108, and it was basically all about all that extra power on tap.

The only issue I see with the 108 (mk1) is the opposite of what the 458 brings. Not enough power. In a large-ish room, with inefficient speakers, the music will seem constrained, imbalanced, and even shouty at times. But in the right room, with the right speakers, I don't know any other stereo amp that does what it does.

I'm dying to hear the mk2 now. Plans are afoot for that to happen sooner rather than later, so we'll see :)

alex

Alex i hope you can get a 108 mk2 pretty soon for audition and let us know about the power difference with the mk1.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
No possible comparison between the 108 and the 458, IMHO. Even (or particularly ... ) at low levels. I have found this in many other brands, the top model sounds great, but unfortunately the model that is supposed to sound 90% costing one third the price pales compared to the big brother.

Different animals with different sound signatures - and obviously power ratings. But I was speaking of the Model Two, which neither of us have heard, and was simply relaying Herve's notes.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California

alex

I'm dying too. The reason why the 108 works so well for me right now is that I have a smallish / intimate room and 90dB drivers. I don't need the extra power of the Model Two, and so the only question is the sound comparison between it and the Model One. The price of the upgrade, while not terribly outlandish for Ones that already have the SCNP installed (like mine), is still significant enough that the sound improvement would need to be much greater than marginal...

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I'm dying too. The reason why the 108 works so well for me right now is that I have a smallish / intimate room and 90dB drivers. I don't need the extra power of the Model Two, and so the only question is the sound comparison between it and the Model One. The price of the upgrade, while not terribly outlandish for Ones that already have the SCNP installed (like mine), is still significant enough that the sound improvement would need to be much greater than marginal...

Considering the model has been out for over 10 years, my guess is the upgrade is significant!

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Is the 108 model 2 capable of delivering quite a bit of current ?

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
I suggest talking to Herve' about it. He's very responsive and helpful. Let us know what he says.

I sent him an e-mail.

Thieliste

Aug 31, 2014
Last time i talked to him he told me the CTH-8550 does very well with Thiel CS 3.7s, he has a couple of clients in Switzerland that own this combo.
Obviously the CTH-8550 is more powerful than the 108 model 2.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing