Neural Network learning to play Mario Brothers game - very interesting

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
This is a great way to show how Neural networks can learn, it starts from doing nothing (just standing) to completing one of the levels in a very fast-efficient time.
Time to learn to do this was around 24 hours - bear in mind this is a pretty crude design and not AI.
The "program" is based upon the following paper and topology: Evolving Neural Networks through
Augmenting Topologies
http://nn.cs.utexas.edu/downloads/papers/stanley.ec02.pdf

Please take time to watch it all as it shows how it behaves-learnt and the crux of what is involved with an Evolving Neural Network, initially starts showing speed it completes stage (up to 45s in video).
My only niggle is that he applies this to being comparable to natural evolution (in reality evolution is not as random and is more "smart" adaptation, viruses-pathogens and multi-stage parasites are easy examples on how the "classic" view of evolution is too simplistic but that is a discussion for other threads).
Anyway enjoy :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6UVOQ0F44

Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
This is a great way to show how Neural networks can learn, it starts from doing nothing (just standing) to completing one of the levels in a very fast-efficient time.
Time to learn to do this was around 24 hours - bear in mind this is a pretty crude design and not AI.
The "program" is based upon the following paper and topology: Evolving Neural Networks through
Augmenting Topologies
http://nn.cs.utexas.edu/downloads/papers/stanley.ec02.pdf

Please take time to watch it all as it shows how it behaves-learnt and the crux of what is involved with an Evolving Neural Network, initially starts showing speed it completes stage (up to 45s in video).
My only niggle is that he applies this to being comparable to natural evolution (in reality evolution is not as random and is more "smart" adaptation, viruses-pathogens and multi-stage parasites are easy examples on how the "classic" view of evolution is too simplistic but that is a discussion for other threads).
Anyway enjoy :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv6UVOQ0F44

Cheers
Orb

See epigenetics.

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
See epigenetics.

For sure, just going on about a different context, complex subject why I suggested it should be for another thread :) , pathogens and parasites have multiple facets with regards to evolution and how they also fit beyond the classical "random - survival of the fittest" concept of many people; we also have parallel evolution with adaptation as an example with modern virus studies, pathogens can have molecular and genetic adaptation from what I understand from recent studies even if the molecular evolution is not truly understood (according to the studies I have read).
Appreciate this is more your field than mine though.
But I would like this thread to focus on the original topic, which is really interesting, honest! :D
Cheers
Orb

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing