Near Or Far Field Listening For This Room?

Republicoftexas69

Hi Gryphon,
I just stumbled across your thread and I don't know where you have gone with it.
The room I have is 24' x 16' x 9'-6". I built bass traps around the ceiling wall intersection and I am very happy with the result.
I listen the long dimension. Speakers are 6' from the front wall and 7'-6" apart.
My seat is aprox 12'-6" from either speaker.

I will look for a couple construction pics.

Let us know what your decide
Brad, lovely room and system you have there.

Gryphon8

Oct 9, 2017
Sorry for not keeping up here folks. I've had a several attention needing matters, one of which was my trusty 'ol Krell KAV-300cd's transport went for the 2nd time in 8-9 years. That put a temporary halt to everything, while researching the subject of players, transports w/DAC's, etc. Ended up with a Marantz SA-KI Ruby & have begun experimenting with room placement. Having listened in far-field, I feel that the bulkhead is detrimental to soundstaging & is in effect, dead space & a reflection point. Now it's going to take some time for me to rearrange to a near field, as I had in the old house, with a bit more room here. The near field will allow a wider soundstage with unimpeded space. The old setup actually had a wonderful soundstage and depending on on how the source was mic'd, you could imagine sitting in the control room of a studio or a concert hall if it was recorded that way. The imaging went way beyond the walls in the room. I'll give a report once all is said & done.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Gryphon, how is progress coming with your room?

Gryphon8

Oct 9, 2017
Gryphon, how is progress coming with your room?
I'm currently working on it (while busy juggling other) & have been working on setting up streaming. I'm confident my best sound will come from setting up along the longer wall for near-field & am waiting on material to treat the room.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
I hope you will at least try the long dimension to see what it can do for the sound.

Reactions: Gryphon8

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I'm currently working on it (while busy juggling other) & have been working on setting up streaming. I'm confident my best sound will come from setting up along the longer wall for near-field & am waiting on material to treat the room.
In case you've not already tried, you should be able to plug an iphone or ipad your into the usb on the Ruby and stream to your dac. Works on the front panel usb of the SA8005 I use as a transport. Sound is surprisingly good, the popular Eversolo ME as a pure streamer was no better. Easy way to get up and running while researching other options.

Gryphon8

Oct 9, 2017
In case you've not already tried, you should be able to plug an iphone or ipad your into the usb on the Ruby and stream to your dac. Works on the front panel usb of the SA8005 I use as a transport. Sound is surprisingly good, the popular Eversolo ME as a pure streamer was no better. Easy way to get up and running while researching other options.
I'm using a Mytek DAC+ with a SOtM streamer w/pwr.supply, MeLE Roon w/2TB & Tidal, but will be interesting to try that, thanks!

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I'm using a Mytek DAC+ with a SOtM streamer w/pwr.supply, MeLE Roon w/2TB & Tidal, but will be interesting to try that, thanks!

I'm curious if you are going to consider (both) Long walls during your placement evaluation?

Might as well.

If possible, taking some kind of room acoustics related measurements will be beneficial in confirming which placement actually is better than the other.

Gryphon8

Oct 9, 2017
I'm curious if you are going to consider (both) Long walls during your placement evaluation?

Might as well.

If possible, taking some kind of room acoustics related measurements will be beneficial in confirming which placement actually is better than the other.
I'm actually working on setting up what I want on the walls (such as a Sgt. Pepper's blanket) before I run the EQ Wizard. Finally have streaming setup. Now it'll take some time to work on the room acoustics & moving things around the room. Just by listening I can hear that the room is too bright & needs taming. As far as both walls, after the Room EQ Wizard is run & treatment applied I'll take the 2 different setups & determine which I prefer. My understanding now is, that the setup against the long wall could cause some bass issues. Other than listening, this IS the fun stuff!

Kjetil

Oct 28, 2022
Hamar, Norway
I have a 240 cm (8 ft) ceiling too. I killed* the first reflection from it with 10 cm thick 180*120 cm absorber.

*at least above say 400 Hz.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing