Nagra Reference Phono Cartridge

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I think that the modulometer will measure input and output levels for right and left channels, as it does with the pre
Right, in mvolts, 2 needles, one for each channel. If so, then you could in fact use it to assess azimuth and channel balance. That would be great.

My guess is that the Option position on the control dial is for a reel to reel input.

Last edited:

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
"My guess is that the Option position on the control dial is for a reel to reel input." Do you mean : input to connect a tape recorder?

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I think I’ve got the Nagra cartridge dialled in — WOW!
It’s my first cartridge with a Fritz Gyger profile, and it’s definitely more sensitive to VTA and Antiskate (and probably the other parameters as well), vs. the elliptical Kondo IO-M. I’ve gotten rid of the occasional distortion, and the cartridge still has a long break-in time, so once it reaches full compliance it should be even better.

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
antiskate tuning is particularly easy to hear

Reactions: Zeotrope

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
VTA adjustments are also easy to hear. I can turn the VTA height dial even ~1cm and can hear a difference. This is probably due to the FGS stylus shape.
This is an example of how the various adjustment tools don’t get you an optimal setup - there’s no substitute for adjustment by ear. If you do the math, there’s no way such a small change would be audible. Wrong.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
A turntable is really like a musical instrument that you must tune by ear to get the best sound. Instruments will get you close, but not all the way.
I used to be scared and overwhelmed by tweaking all the parameters, but I’ve come to enjoy it — an know when to stop and just enjoy the music.

Reactions: Rotatoubib

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
The Nagra cartridge is so transparent that any adjustment, however small, can indeed be heard. Since I've had it, I've felt the need to treat the piece acoustically, that's the drawback... Incidentally (a little off topic), I now have Esprit Eureka cables for modulation and loudspeakers, and they are remarkable. Transparency, definition and musicality are not mutually exclusive here

Reactions: Zeotrope

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Well said!
“Gave Monsieur Saint John of Nagra a hug for calling audiophile recordings "Audiophile Dreck". This accounts for the greatness of Nagra.
They love the music, not the equipment. They make the official recordings for the Montreux Jazz Festival.”

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Well said!
“Gave Monsieur Saint John of Nagra a hug for calling audiophile recordings "Audiophile Dreck". This accounts for the greatness of Nagra.
They love the music, not the equipment. They make the official recordings for the Montreux Jazz Festival.”
He talks about Kerry St James, formerly working for YG, and actually Nagra export manager

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Here's a pic. I suspect it isn't used for that. But I LOVE the idea you're on. For this kind of Monday I'd tell Rene :).

I wonder what the "option" selector is for? Could it be a test input for a something like you're asking???

View attachment 109676

I have heard the HD Phono US list price is $87,500. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? I will reach out to my dealer as well.
What is the European price?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have heard the HD Phono US list price is $87,500. Can anyone confirm if this is correct? I will reach out to my dealer as well.

Bargin!! :p

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
CH Précision P10 76 000 $. 77 000 € so if Nagra price is 87 500 $ you can estimate in euros. Quite a lot, and no XLR input !

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
CH Précision P10 76 000 $. 77 000 € so if Nagra price is 87 500 $ you can estimate in euros. Quite a lot, and no XLR input !
The Nagra Classic phono and my former Nagra VPS can both ran in symmetrical or asymmetrical input. So no XLR's, but can still get a balanced signal into it via the RCA's and ground lug, and a certain jumper arrangement on the input boards.

From the Nagra Classic Phono user manual:

1692879008521.png

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I have placed my order for the Nagra HD Phono, I'll trade my Classic Phono/Classic PSU and 2 Nagra VFS-L's in...expected delivery in late Oct.

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
What make you think it will be better than CH Precision P10?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
What make you think it will be better than CH Precision P10?
Are you asking me? I don't have a clue, I love the Nagra sound-which I suspect is quite different than CH Precision, and know the HD Phono will be a big step up from the Classic Phono/PSU...similar & possibly more then the Classic Pre and HD Pre...

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Are you asking me? I don't have a clue, I love the Nagra sound-which I suspect is quite different than CH Precision, and know the HD Phono will be a big step up from the Classic Phono/PSU...similar & possibly more then the Classic Pre and HD Pre...
Yes ! My retailer had the opportunity to compare the HD pre phono to the Zanden 1200 and to the Soulution 755, and he told me that the Nagra is a big step-up. Another argument is the adequation with the Nagra cartridge

Reactions: Zeotrope and jfrech

Robert Young

VIP/Donor
Oct 22, 2020
New York CIty
Yes ! My retailer had the opportunity to compare the HD pre phono to the Zanden 1200 and to the Soulution 755, and he told me that the Nagra is a big step-up. Another argument is the adequation with the Nagra cartridge
I thought i’d really gone headfirst into crazytown 18 years ago when i paid $11,000 at Lyric Hifi for the PLP, to go with exhorbitantly-priced VPAs (i paid $14,000 used) but they were the best audio investment i ever made, and i miss them dearly (kid’s tuition took precedence, darnitall). And it is unlikely that i will ever experience another Nagra component in my system, given the upwardly spirally costs. But i agree, the Nagra sound is very special, and if i could swing it, i’d be rolling around in those beautiful silver boxes of swiss magnificence and not looking back.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing