Nagra HD Amps

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Congratulations - you are going to an excellent amplification system. Are you getting the balanced input transformers in the preamplifier?
Good Question for Pol, hope he says yes. When my HD Preamp arrived the balanced input transformers were not ready. A few weeks later they arrived. So I had a good amount of pre and after listening via the dCS stack. The balancing input transformers clearly took it up another good notch. I think this is dependent on the sources you maybe using...

Reactions: CKKeung and Pol

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy
thank you for pointing this out.
I have to admit I have not addressed the point when I bought the nagras...
Honestly I do not mind doing things step by step but I am surprised the dealer didn't mention as he knows I have DCSs.
Is it such an improvement?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Your dealer may have just ordered them for you already. Assuming with your dCS stack they were desired. Yes, it's significant. I'd double check with him...

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy
thank you Jfrech. I will check with the dealer.

I should get the delivery tomorrow/thursday latest. :)

NeilMusicMad

Dec 8, 2020
hi...new to this thread but in need of help! I have a full reference Mark Levinson system with Wilson Alexx. I thought they were good until I recently had the pleasure of auditioning both the Nagra HD and DA m400’s back to back. They made the ML53’s sound broken....and it was so sad to go back to them.

I am torn between the Nagras and the DA’s, they’re both amazing in their own right but would love to hear your thoughts

NeilMusicMad

Dec 8, 2020
Thanks Jpspock. Yes, the D'Agostino is going... the dealer I buy from carries both brands so he was happy to trade it in.
I have had the momentum for a few years and I have to say I have been extremely happy with it.
I really never felt I was missing something...... until I heard the HDs....
Hi Pol - did I read correctly that you’re going from DA to Nagra HD? I’m torn between the two! DA was more dynamic and punch where’s the Nagra was smoother....

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy
Hi Pol - did I read correctly that you’re going from DA to Nagra HD? I’m torn between the two! DA was more dynamic and punch where’s the Nagra was smoother....
Hi Neil, welcome to the forum
Yes, my Dagostino is going. To be fair I have the momentum integrated but I know the 400s quite well: I have had them with me a few days before deciding to go with the Nagras
IN MY ROOM, the smoothness you mention about the nagras is transparency and precision, is an incredible amount of details.
Both Nagra and Dagostino are stellar products but, IN MY ROOM, the nagras have been quite special

NeilMusicMad

Dec 8, 2020
Yes, my Dagostino is going. To be fair I have the momentum integrated but I know the 400s quite well: I have had them with me a few days before deciding to go with the Nagras
IN MY ROOM, the smoothness you mention about the nagras is transparency and precision, is an incredible amount of details.
Both Nagra and Dagostino are stellar products but, IN MY ROOM, the nagras have been quite specialty’s
Both Nagra and Dagostino are stellar products but, IN MY ROOM, the nagras have been quite special
Thank you so much for the warm welcome!

I’m comforted by your feedback but one thing I liked about the DA’s was the crispness and clarity and I found the depth of soundstage better however the Nagras had a wider one. My dealer did mention that he can tweak the Alexx positioning but I was comparing the amps with the same speaker position and that’s what I liked. But - the Nagras were easier to listen and I can imagine a better life partner!

Jpspock

Dec 26, 2018
I listened many times nagra Hd and it sur top of the list. Once I listened nagra hd preamp with amp momentum with YG Sonja 2.2, Amazing

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Sorry, the HD amps are no longer available

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Good Question for Pol, hope he says yes. When my HD Preamp arrived the balanced input transformers were not ready. A few weeks later they arrived. So I had a good amount of pre and after listening via the dCS stack. The balancing input transformers clearly took it up another good notch. I think this is dependent on the sources you maybe using...
Congratulations Pol. The Nagra stuff is certainly something special. My prediction is that you will grow to appreciate them even more as time goes forward. I do also think there is a special synergy between the amps (I have VPA’s) and pre-amp.

Good catch on the balancing transformers John. I think this is certainly something that‘s an important part of the final mix.

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy
Congratulations Pol. The Nagra stuff is certainly something special. My prediction is that you will grow to appreciate them even more as time goes forward. I do also think there is a special synergy between the amps (I have VPA’s) and pre-amp.

Good catch on the balancing transformers John. I think this is certainly something that‘s an important part of the final mix.
thank you Ovenmitt. Can't wait to get them

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy
Ok, the wait is over
just about finishing to hook all cables
is going to be a looooong night:D

Attachments

• DD92FC1D-B667-415D-9F72-0ED7C35D029E.jpeg
    DD92FC1D-B667-415D-9F72-0ED7C35D029E.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 98

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy
And, yes, the pre amp has arrived with the balancing transformers in...

Reactions: Ovenmitt

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy
Is just incredible the amount of details, how much of the music you can hear and how audible (and enjoyable) it is even at VERY low volume

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Is just incredible the amount of details, how much of the music you can hear and how audible (and enjoyable) it is even at VERY low volume
Congratulations ! Thanks for including a pic, it's always great to see someones room. I am sure some breakin will occur and it'll get even better soon

Reactions: Pol

Pol

Aug 22, 2017
Italy
Congratulations ! Thanks for including a pic, it's always great to see someones room. I am sure some breakin will occur and it'll get even better soon

Excellent! And that's quite a nice little art museum you've got going there as well!!

Thank you
it‘s a living room. Although I understand the benefits of a treated room, I like the idea of sharing the music with everyone inside the house.
In fact, whenever I will build a second system, it will be in the kitchen

p

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing