My own experience with Luxman D10X

mr.datsun

Sep 12, 2022
I have the D10x as well. Here are a couple of additional cons:

- It does not play DVD audio
- No DSD over coaxial (only through USB); I do not like using the USB input on the Luxman at all; coaxial is much better
- No I2S connection
- Switching between PCM and DSD layers on hybrid SACDs takes a surprisingly long amount of time
This is my first post here, but I wanted to point out that there are reasons DSD cannot be played over coax. It's not down to Luxman and the D10x. I understand that DSD has to be converted to PCM to play over coax. And the reason that DSD cannot be natively played over coax is due to Sony's licencing and copy-protection issues connected with their SACD format. That is what i have read.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
This is my first post here, but I wanted to point out that there are reasons DSD cannot be played over coax. It's not down to Luxman and the D10x. I understand that DSD has to be converted to PCM to play over coax. And the reason that DSD cannot be natively played over coax is due to Sony's licencing and copy-protection issues connected with their SACD format. That is what i have read.
Luxman does Native DSD, it needs infrastructure that supports encryption - USB or I2S.

Reactions: mr.datsun

Mioh

Sep 13, 2022
Hi there

I would have an opportunity to buy D-08 as brand new, last in stock unit for 5,900 euros. Do you think it still would be worth it? My current player is Burmester 061.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Hi there

I would have an opportunity to buy D-08 as brand new, last in stock unit for 5,900 euros. Do you think it still would be worth it? My current player is Burmester 061.
Only you can tell if its worth ro you.
The 08 is a very good unit, but it sounds different from the D10X, the latter one has a more modern sound, more open at the top and button, with greater resolution (all taken with proportion).

Mioh

Sep 13, 2022
Only you can tell if its worth ro you.
The 08 is a very good unit, but it sounds different from the D10X, the latter one has a more modern sound, more open at the top and button, with greater resolution (all taken with proportion)Thank you.

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
Hi there

At that price point, I would seriously also consider the Holo May or Denafrips Terminator, unless you absolutely need to have cd mechanism. I haven't heard these dacs, but my experience is that Chinese dacs punch way above their price points and would those 2 would probably outclass similarly priced non-chinese dacs.

mr.datsun

Sep 12, 2022
Luxman does Native DSD, it needs infrastructure that supports encryption - USB or I2S.
Exactly. I was just pointing out that the member who was not happy that he could not play DSD through coax on the D-10x, was asking the impossible.

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
Exactly. I was just pointing out that the member who was not happy that he could not play DSD through coax on the D-10x, was asking the impossible.
I'm not asking for the impossible and I'm aware of coax/toslink DSD limitations; I was mostly pointing out that I wanted USB sound quality to be better especially given it's the main entry point for streaming. I talked to a Luxman representative at Axpona that agreed that the USB connection could be better and l2s was something to be considered. Overall, D10x is a reference level sounding unit, but I suspect some of these connection issues will be addressed in next iteration.

Reactions: mr.datsun

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I'm not asking for the impossible and I'm aware of coax/toslink DSD limitations; I was mostly pointing out that I wanted USB sound quality to be better especially given it's the main entry point for streaming. I talked to a Luxman representative at Axpona that agreed that the USB connection could be better and l2s was something to be considered. Overall, D10x is a reference level sounding unit, but I suspect some of these connection issues will be addressed in next iteration.
How do you connect your D10x USB, Meaning - what's server\streamer and USB cable are you using?

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
How do you connect your D10x USB, Meaning - what's server\streamer and USB cable are you using?
Streamer is Aurender A10 going into Singxer Su6 DDC going into Luxman with DH Labs D-750 coax. DDC makes a big difference for me, so prefer it to direct USB connection to Luxman.

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
Streamer is Aurender A10 going into Singxer Su6 DDC going into Luxman with DH Labs D-750 coax. DDC makes a big difference for me, so prefer it to direct USB connection to Luxman.
I use Melco N1ZH/2 as a server for my D10X (connected by Cardas Hi-Speed Clear USB cable) - i can tell this combination have a dead quiet background (almost like my MSB Premier + Renderer2 which is incredibly quiet).

Did you try other coax cables or USB cables?

mr.datsun

Sep 12, 2022

My appologies if I misunderstood. I thought you seemed to be expressing a desire for DSD over coax instead of USB in your original post.

I use it to stream my digital files (dsd and pcm) from a Melco N100 to a D-03x. I've been very happy with it. Do you think the Luxman USB is inferior to other manufacture's use of USB?

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
I understood that using i2s for DSD is a non-standardised use of HDMI connectors.
Yes, but it works very well. I have tested sound quality between USB, coax and I2S on my other DAC (Gustard X26 Pro); the I2S noticeably sounded the best. It also has higher bandwith possibilities.

lightmentat

Dec 6, 2021
My appologies if I misunderstood. I thought you seemed to be expressing a desire for DSD over coax instead of USB in your original post.

I use it to stream my digital files (dsd and pcm) from a Melco N100 to a D-03x. I've been very happy with it. Do you think the Luxman USB is inferior to other manufacture's use of USB?
I haven't owned too many DACs so I can't really say how the Luxman USB compares to others, but I will say the drop off in sound quality between the USB and coax is more noticeable than my other DAC. I forgot to mention that my USB cable is Audioquest carbon; I haven't tried other USB cables. To be fair, Aurender did let me know that USB implementation on A10 wasn't the best so it is possible that is where the weakness lies; that weakness is solved by using a DDC; however since the Luxman does't have I2S, there is no other way to stream DSD other than direct USB without using the DDC. I have had my eyes on the MELCO but I really like the Aurender app and ability to use a physical remote (this is very important to me).

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
A different opinion - I used the Luxman D10x usb input when I owned my Lumin X1 and the sound was superior to the analog outputs of the X1, itself. My 2021 manufactured D10x is the best digital playback I've heard.

Tontoverde

Feb 22, 2020
I look forward to reading your impressions.
I originally bought my D10x to use as a DAC for a streamer. The plan was to use a Lumin U2. But I got a deal on a Lumin X1 and could not turn it down. I love it but I am very excited to try running the streaming side into my Luxman. It will be very interesting to compare the two very different DACs.
I currently use the Lumin X1 as my Dac Streamer. Can you share with me how it sounded using the D10X as the Dac and the X1 as a streamer?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing