My New True Soundworks Apogee Diva Extremes

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011
I've late Diva's, just wondering how this MR-ribbon is made, original is in 3 segments and when I look those photos of yours, there seems to be just one ribbon, which is as wide as the original 3-segment ribbon. Is this done possible by just x-overs re-design? Are the magnets the same? I'm very interested to improve my Diva's performance, though I understand that those infos are not necessarily freely available...but at least my Diva's need paintjob and this color combination or your speakers is magnificent:)

The ribbons are all new designs and the crossover is completely different. The new midrange ribbon is indeed a smaller version of the full range's true foil mid ribbon and is not like the three segment version of the original at all. As you can see it is a full width ribbon. Please check with Rich Murry at True Sound Works for more technical details. Rich is capable of the most stunning paint work I have ever seen. You can get a sense of in my pics. I wish the pictures could convey this fully.

Last edited:

vucubaquix

Nov 14, 2020
The ribbons are all new designs and the crossover is completely different. The new midrange ribbon is indeed a smaller version of the full range's true foil mid ribbon and is not like the three segment version of the original at all. As you can see it is a full width ribbon. Please check with Rich Murry at True Sound Works for more technical details. Rich is capable of the most stunning paint work I have ever seen. You can get a sense of in my pics. I wish the pictures could convey this fully.
So Let’s Make a Deal , if you see this I’m curious about a few things. Wondering why if you already had Diva Ultimates , what made you go Extreme ? Except for the new mid range ribbon , weren’t the woofer panels and tweeters the same as your Ultimates ? Was all the Extreme magic in the new crossovers and stronger magnets ? Have you ever heard Divas with active crossovers ( Dbx Drive Pro , DEQX or mini DSP) ? My old Divas are running just fine . No foam rot and no buzz . Replacing the mid with all foil is tempting . I have the DAX also working with no problem . I have soundstage depth , speed , great imaging as it is. It’s a bit hard to imaging an order of magnitude improvement. , not to say it’s impossible , but there is really no way to hear the upgrade advantage before the surgery . Would love to hear anyone else’s thoughts as well, if anyone is still watching this thread :)

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

vucubaquix

Nov 14, 2020
Oh, my mistake, I just saw LMAD's response, for which I thank him. But, alas, my core questions went unanswered. :)

LetsMakeaDeal

Jul 16, 2011
So Let’s Make a Deal , if you see this I’m curious about a few things. Wondering why if you already had Diva Ultimates , what made you go Extreme ? Except for the new mid range ribbon , weren’t the woofer panels and tweeters the same as your Ultimates ? Was all the Extreme magic in the new crossovers and stronger magnets ? Have you ever heard Divas with active crossovers ( Dbx Drive Pro , DEQX or mini DSP) ? My old Divas are running just fine . No foam rot and no buzz . Replacing the mid with all foil is tempting . I have the DAX also working with no problem . I have soundstage depth , speed , great imaging as it is. It’s a bit hard to imaging an order of magnitude improvement. , not to say it’s impossible , but there is really no way to hear the upgrade advantage before the surgery . Would love to hear anyone else’s thoughts as well, if anyone is still watching this thread :)
As Rich told me All the ribbons were revised and updated. Not just the mid ribbon..for specifics you would need to discuss with Rich..They were updated to Extremes because Rich told be they were superior to the Ultimates. Simple as that..I wanted Full Range but mainly because of room size I didn't go that direction in the end..If I ever have a larger room I will buy Full Ranges from Rich....The Diva Extreme is a full range in a smaller package. As close as you can get anyway without spending another 40-50K and building a bigger house. LOL...all my thoughts about the updates are already posted here... It was a leap of faith that paid off. I totally trust Rich....That's about it...

iansr

Dec 27, 2010
Resurrecting this thread. There was mention of the magnets being upgraded. Was it neo magnets that were installed?

Giuma

Sep 21, 2022
Recently I have sold my loudspeakers Genesis One as I'm going to move to a new house with a smaller room. I'm considering a lot of loudspeakers and among them the Apogee Diva Extreme by Murry. Recently I have listened to some Diva renovated in Germany and I have found a high range very backward if compared with my Genesis. Of course the total system chain was different from mine. I ask you if this feature is linked the Diva and I ask L if he has found an improvement in the high range, too, with the Extreme.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Be sure to audition the Alsyvox.

Reactions: christoph

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Recently I have sold my loudspeakers Genesis One as I'm going to move to a new house with a smaller room. I'm considering a lot of loudspeakers and among them the Apogee Diva Extreme by Murry. Recently I have listened to some Diva renovated in Germany and I have found a high range very backward if compared with my Genesis. Of course the total system chain was different from mine. I ask you if this feature is linked the Diva and I ask L if he has found an improvement in the high range, too, with the Extreme.
I have heard the Genesis Ones before in an exception system. They are tremendous speakers and hard to replicate for extreme ease, dynamic scale beyond scale and also remarkable nuance. I believe that the current Genesis Dragons can have their 'wings' cut down so the main panel is considerably narrower. Would that work in your new space?

Giuma

Sep 21, 2022
I have heard the Genesis Ones before in an exception system. They are tremendous speakers and hard to replicate for extreme ease, dynamic scale beyond scale and also remarkable nuance. I believe that the current Genesis Dragons can have their 'wings' cut down so the main panel is considerably narrower. Would that work in your new space?
I have never listened to the Genesis Dragon Ones and I don't know if the drivers used now are as those in my 1995 Genesis One (In those times Hanry Pearson said the Genesis One midrange was the best in the world.) I thought that the Apogee Diva Extreme might give in a smaller cabinet the same musical performance.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Different Apogee restores sound different. You will have to listen to different apogees and pick the one you like, or tell the restorer to do one exactly like that.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Giuma,

Are you considering a smaller model of Genesis? Like the Forte?

Giuma

Sep 21, 2022
You are right, but from a practical point of view it's difficult to do that, because the best restorers live very far from each other (USA, Australia, Holland)

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing