My feels about this forum

Audiophile Neuroscience

Dec 1, 2015
Near Sydney, Australia
IMHO we do not need Latin to debate tweaks

Of course not ! I did not start the Latin phrases theme but ran with it for a bit of fun, as I thought others did.

plain english is enough to show how hard the subject can be. Sometime ago we had a thread trying to define tweak and the disagreement on the suggested definitions was very clear.

IME people rarely agree on such things. Some of course just like being argumentative.On another forum there was a long thread along the lines of what would it take to change your mind. In part , it came down to pushing agenda and unshakable belief systems.There is a Nietzsche-ism (I think it is authentic but may be apocryphal) - there are those that want to know and those that want to believe. Which leads to......

My preferred for this great hobby: "Fere libenter homines id quod volunt credunt." :)

IMO no truer words (that people generally believe what they want to believe). I think I said earlier, "people like what they like" and tacked onto that could be, people generally like to believe and believe what they like.

Cheers
David

Reactions: Al M.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
@Tim F - Welcome to WBF!

I am a fellow UK-based member and also a long-time (since 2005) contributor to HiFiWigwam, Art of Sound, TAS (The Audio Standard) and PFM (Pink Fish Media) forums.

I am based near Winchester, Hampshire and have attended Wam gatherings in Hampshire and West Sussex as well as hosting bake-offs at my home. As a result, I have made many new friends!

As a matter of interest, what are your system components and whereabouts in the UK do you live?

As a near neighbour (Portsmouth) I'd be delighted to invite you to visit sometime to listen to and comment on my system. Not as lavish as yours but hopefully being improved in the next couple of weeks when new speakers arrive. Peter

Reactions: Tim F and XCop5089

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Tang, you cannot communicate with @Lagonda that way. Ron uses Google translate and can ban you
Tang, DDK and i all prefer pictures instead of latin, we are simple folk with sophisticated/bizarre fetiches. Some things are just difficult to describe in words !
I’m talking about cartridge setup of course ;)

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
IME people rarely agree on such things. Some of course just like being argumentative.On another forum there was a long thread along the lines of what would it take to change your mind. In part , it came down to pushing agenda and unshakable belief systems.There is a Nietzsche-ism (I think it is authentic but may be apocryphal) - there are those that want to know and those that want to believe. Which leads to......

IMO no truer words (that people generally believe what they want to believe). I think I said earlier, "people like what they like" and tacked onto that could be, people generally like to believe and believe what they like.

Cheers
David

I don't find people in this hobby immutable, actually I often find the opposite is true. On the whole audiophiles are open to new experiences and given the opportunity they will easily embrace a new way or thing. Most of us just need to find out more before realizing that we haven't figured out what we really like.

david

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Tang, you cannot communicate with @Lagonda that way. Ron uses Google translate and can ban you
Don't want to graduate to the feminist yardstick.

Veni, Vidi, Tweaki

Reactions: christoph

Audiophile Neuroscience

Dec 1, 2015
Near Sydney, Australia
I don't find people in this hobby immutable, actually I often find the opposite is true. On the whole audiophiles are open to new experiences and given the opportunity they will easily embrace a new way or thing. Most of us just need to find out more before realizing that we haven't figured out what we really like.

david

Hi David
I think we may be at least partially on the same page in some ways.

As I see it, the ones as mentioned previously, "that want to know" (to the extent that knowing is possible) or are accepting that some things are not knowable/ testable/ falsifiable, will tend to remain flexible and open to possibilities.

IMO the so called great audio divide/debate is due to clash of unshakable belief systems. You may disagree but I would suggest visit any audio forum discussion on DBT.

I think it also may depend on what cohort of people you tend to run with. Like-minded audiophiles will appear more "open" to your way of thinking.There are for example like minded folks on measurement based for.....ums (phew) that will not embrace a new thing without (so called) objective proof.They will embrace a new way or thing, yes, so long as it accords with their beliefs.Bring up cables sounding different at your peril.

I see myself as neither a "subjectivist" nor "objectivist". Personally I am happy looking at both subjective and objective viewpoints (another topic).

I hope that makes sense - it is not dogma, just as i see it. it would have of course been easier explaining it in Latin ...<tongue-in-cheek emoji of absolution>
:)

David

Reactions: Bobvin and ddk

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR

In my experience the founders/owners of an internet forum are the ones who set the tone, and Steve and Ron set really good examples.

Ummmmm, you forgot Amir.

Sorry, guys. Couldn't resist. :)

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

Thought I'd share some thoughts, and ask a few questions. I'm from the UK and have been into hifi for many years. Recently started to spend more time here having been mostly on pinkfish and hifiwigwam forums. Firstly thanks to all who've been really helpful, welcoming and friendly. I was looking for more expertise as I started to move into more expensive levels of kit.

There seem to be a core group of posters most of whom know each other and a lot of people connected to the industry. Seems like a good thing as you see a lot of friendships. I wonder if there's scope to listen to some of these systems? Are you generally welcoming?

As there are a lot of industry connected people, I have to take some recommendations carefully. How clear are people when they are posting that they're recommending products they sell?

Firstly, even though I have the best system of anyone I know, I feel pretty poor here. The kit typically being knocked around is vastly expensive. Recommendations for components and accessories tend to be extremely expensive with a default position to spending a tonne. The average forum doesn't recommend £1000 cables without a second thought. When offering advice do you think much about what people's budget is, and more to the point if you've come across lower price point bargains? I've just seen a recommendation for a $4k streamer to a guy with a £200 amp!

Anyway a few thoughts! No offence meant, in case you were wondering....

Thanks, Tim

Hi Tim, I am pretty new here also.

I currently live in Australia, but resided in the UK (Cambridge and London) for 17 years, and also spent many hours on Pinkfish. It's been many years since I posted there, but I still remember some of the characters.

I have to say that I like this forum, in that there is a lot more intelligence and openness shown by most members than on other audio forums.

Yes it can seem a bit elitist at times, with many people spending more on footers that others (like me) will spend on a system, but we all have different ways of trying to get to the same goal - musical enjoyment.

Cheers

David

Audiophile Neuroscience

Dec 1, 2015
Near Sydney, Australia
Hi Tim, I am pretty new here also.

I currently live in Australia, but resided in the UK (Cambridge and London) for 17 years, and also spent many hours on Pinkfish. It's been many years since I posted there, but I still remember some of the characters.

I have to say that I like this forum, in that there is a lot more intelligence and openness shown by most members than on other audio forums.

Yes it can seem a bit elitist at times, with many people spending more on footers that others (like me) will spend on a system, but we all have different ways of trying to get to the same goal - musical enjoyment.

Cheers

David

Elitist?! Hardly, they won't let me use Latin ! :confused:

I am also in Oz but have family in London. Cambridge is a beautiful part of the world.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Elitist?! Hardly, they won't let me use Latin ! :confused:

I am also in Oz but have family in London. Cambridge is a beautiful part of the world.

I loved Cambridge, London not so much.

Which part of Oz are you in?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I now live way closer to Cambridge than to London. A really thriving place for live classical.

Reactions: dcathro

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
I now live way closer to Cambridge than to London. A really thriving place for live classical.

I used to love sitting in the chapels listening to evening song! Great memories!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The use of Latin on WBF is officially approved! :)

Please don't say I started it o_O:p

I love WBF because it is such a great mixed bag of nuts :D

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
We love Cambridge. It has enough of the energy of London with none of the overcrowded streets, and fantastic live music.

And we're lucky enough to live pretty close to Cambridge, on a stretch of water even closer than the people in that photo.

One thing I have noticed. Power is way less adulterated in our low density population village. This is absolutely reflected in SQ in my system.

Better quality power is ALMOST sufficient reason to have ditched London.

But more critically, state of mind and culturing Slow Living is the aim. If only I wasn't so stressed in 2020, I might be getting that right Lol.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Hunter Valley.
Does this bring back memories of Cambridge?
View attachment 66225

Sure does!

I worked for Philips on St Andrews Lane, further up the river and used to run along that path in the photo in my lunch hours into town and then along the backs of the colleges.

Happy happy times!

What's your connection?

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
We love Cambridge. It has enough of the energy of London with none of the overcrowded streets, and fantastic live music.

And we're lucky enough to live pretty close to Cambridge, on a stretch of water even closer than the people in that photo.

One thing I have noticed. Power is way less adulterated in our low density population village. This is absolutely reflected in SQ in my system.

Better quality power is ALMOST sufficient reason to have ditched London.

But more critically, state of mind and culturing Slow Living is the aim. If only I wasn't so stressed in 2020, I might be getting that right Lol.

I too used to love Cambridge when at school in Ely, but hardly been there since. Lived my working life in London, but now pleased to be away. Now living on the South Coast with fabulous views over the Solent and Portsmouth Harbour. I enjoy the free jazz evenings at pubs and other veues, something difficult to find in London. I do miss the big venues such as RFH and ROH and even the RAH that was easy to walk to for Prom Concerts. Peter

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing