Museatex bistream DAC. Any experience with this old fellow ?

brjoon1021

Feb 8, 2023
I am wondering if any of you have had experience with it would chime in on it. I have been using it for months since getting my system out of mothballs. I have nothing to compare it to. It is old, but was well regarded. Still a good DAC, in short ?

twowheels

Feb 14, 2023
I've got a bidat that I had fully modified by John Wright about 15 years as does my brother. Mine is sitting in a closet since being replaced by a musetec 005. My brother retired his a few months ago when he bought an EMM. The bidat is a fabulous, liquid, analog sounding DAC that was way ahead of its time. There are still a fair number of people who feel it is still a state of the art redbook DAC. My feeling is that it is an excellent old redbook DAC that has since been superceded by newer DACs.

brjoon1021

Feb 8, 2023
I've got a bidat that I had fully modified by John Wright about 15 years as does my brother. Mine is sitting in a closet since being replaced by a musetec 005. My brother retired his a few months ago when he bought an EMM. The bidat is a fabulous, liquid, analog sounding DAC that was way ahead of its time. There are still a fair number of people who feel it is still a state of the art redbook DAC. My feeling is that it is an excellent old redbook DAC that has since been superceded by newer DACs.
Thank you for getting back to me. My model is the one before that it's the "bitstream" it uses the, I believe they call it alpha sigma processor, and then the next one, your, the bidat uses the multi-bit or laddered processor - if I am getting the technologies correct. The streaming device I use and my CD player are just 16/44 so if this is a solid 16/44 DAC I'll stick with it but if it's antiquated sound-wise I want something different I just don't know the answer to that and don't really have the opportunity to try something without buying it

Amir

May 3, 2021
Tehran, Iran
www.amiraudio.com
if you check Impulse response of DACs you can see some DACs have perfect transient response and some other not. Optimising for having perfect Time and frequency response is not easy.

Bidat uses Special Adaptive Filter to have good response in both Time and Frequency Domain.

All NOS DACs like Audio Note DAC5 also have perfect Time domain Response.

I am not sure but I guess Wadax, Emm labs, Playback Design , Vitus , TAD , Wadia, Audio Aero, Nagra try to have good Transient Response.

Weiss, dCS , Esoteric try to have good frequency response.

please let me know If i have any mistake.

about Bidat Special Digital Filter :

"The Bidat algorithm analyzes the digital audio samples for relative accelerations and then chooses the type of filter most appropriate for that segment of data. This intelligent process results in a frequency response which is flat to 20KHz for CD playback. More important, it produces a uniquely pure impulse response without Gibb's ringing. For example, a square wave will have clean rectangular transitions and no ringing.

The Museatex Bidat can claim transient response demonstrably MORE faithful to the recorded signal than the best analog playback systems for vinyl LP's and open-reel tapes. The undistorted transient response of the Bidat means the algorithm contributes no coloration of its own to the processed audio. This performance eliminates the "digital washout" of sonic subtleties and the harshness heard in listening to a conventional interpolating algorithm. For the first time in audio engineering, the full advantage of Digital Signal Processing has been used in the service of signal fidelity by the implementation of a smart filter which could never have been built with analog circuits."

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing