Multi-decks (TTs) - rationality and recommendations

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
A line-tracker or a direct drive:) For example Bergmann Galder or Technics SL-1000R. I have not yet heard the OMA Technics, but the standard is really good, and can be improved with external arms.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I compared the BB and AF3 in the same system, I much preferred BB. I thought techdas (all models) are too showy in terms of they wham and slam and separate but I don't like them. The nuance and details are not there. They don't just play. They keep doing something.

ST ST is second fiddle, my point is it is so satisfying that you can keep listening to it and save on the rest of the money. Compares are a good sport but not worth the difference in money terms imo once you find a satisfying analog set up.

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Compares are a good sport but not worth the difference in money terms imo once you find a satisfying analog set up.
Some straight up sensible talk here. Might get kicked out for it ;)

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
A line-tracker or a direct drive:) For example Bergmann Galder or Technics SL-1000R. I have not yet heard the OMA Technics, but the standard is really good, and can be improved with external arms.
Didn't have the Bergmann in my shortlist. I assume its strength is the linear-arm (?).
How is it compared to the Technics?

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
Didn't have the Bergmann in my shortlist. I assume its strength is the linear-arm (?).
How is it compared to the Technics?

I have not gotten around to comparing with the same pickup/riaa and tonearm cables yet. But both are really good, I enjoy music a lot with both:) They are quite different set up at the moment. The Technics with 85th Ann SPU, NO Frey2+ tonearm cables, Consolidated stepup and Kondo GE1 riaa. The Bergmann has Kiseki Purpleheart/NO Valhalla 2+ tonearm cable and Burmester 100 riaa.

Reactions: iaxel

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
I have a Plinth being made by Acoustand in the UK for my SP-10R, Lee is a real gentleman to work with.

Reactions: XV-1

ALF

Mar 15, 2012
Southwest
Current collection…

EMT 927 refurbished by Hans-Ludwig Dusch in Germany, Schopper 124, MS RY5500RX3000HS80 (the hammertone one…this is the Fanken-Seiki, MS RY5500RX5000HS80 (black) with the Bavarian Setup (Syntax model,) Vyger Atlantis and full Kondo Ginga System (this is the last “current” model, it is no longer in production.)

vbw,
-a

Last edited:

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Current collection…

EMT 927 refurbished by Hans-Ludwig Dusch in Germany, Schopper 124, MS RY5500RX3000HS80 (the hammertone one…this is the Fanken-Seiki, MS RY5500RX5000HS80 (black) with the Bavarian Setup (Syntax model,) Vyger Atlantis and full Kondo Ginga System (this is the last “current” model, it is no longer in production.)

vbw,
-a
What no direct drive ;)

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Well you have already some of the best in idler and belt ( 927 and big micro and Vyger ) so the bar is very high. Seems like a Rockport or a Denon DN308 might hold a place in the room ;)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Well you have already some of the best in idler and belt ( 927 and big micro and Vyger ) so the bar is very high. Seems like a Rockport or a Denon DN308 might hold a place in the room ;)

I like PBN's reconditioned DN308!

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
The reason I use multiple turntables/arms/cartridges is that specific records sound great with specific combos.

Generally, i play jazz on the 301 and pop/rock/soul on the ptp lenco. The td 124 is specifically good with female voice.
There are exceptions and i almost always know exactly what i want to hear a particular record on.

I use a luxman switch box so that i can easily change playback. Added bonus is that i can dj continuous play of old 45s (which often sound much better than the lps, btw) for my kids.

In addition to the above i have two lenco L70, two L75 and one (rare) L77 in the house. I’ll get an sp10 at some point.

Jesper

Reactions: Mike Lavigne

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
i'm the same. different tt's have different attributes and pull me into specific music more completely.

my belt drive, air bearing, linear tracking CS Port does delicacy, space, openness, inner detail, layering, image separating, and tonal textures that play to classical best, and most vocals best. the most subtle intricate music is open and meaningful. it can rock, but in it's own style. understated but also energetic in a micro-dynamic way. a bit left brain.

my Saskia idler has outstanding tonal density, beautiful rich bass heft and articulation, great focus and sense of ensemble. it flows and leans into the beat. love it for jazz, blues, lots of rock. certain vocals are best here. right brain all the way. easy to love.

my NVS direct drive/active isolation loves big bold music; stadium rock, anything with big scale. unlimited dynamics. explosiveness. space, scale, image separation, neutrality and holographic stage.

all three do everything well and could be all around performers in a top system. but they have their strengths that play to certain music best.

my other direct drive, the vintage EMT948, i only play stereo cutter head mono's, which is primarily jazz. it's really fine with that. maybe sounds more like an idler than direct drive to my ears.....with a tiny bit of added heft and warmth.

Last edited:

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
I admit the idea of multi-decks (turntables) has come to my mind a few times in the past.
I believe I understand the thought behind having multiple arms and cartridges. As long as you have a turntable that can reflect these changes in the best possible manner.
My question is about multiple turntables.
- Are those used mostly for comparison?
- Is the aim to have the best table-arm-cartridge combination to create a certain voicing that favors certain music genres?

I found that if I have a better overall performer (e.g. 2 cartridges that one outperforms the other - overall), the other "wannabees" are left aside to gather dust.

I know it may be fun, but I want it to last (longer than the initial hype of ownership).

Owning a TechDas AF3P, with a ~$15-20K budget - what would you recommend as a 2nd deck to go along.

P.S. I'm not into vintage restoration, unless I get the entire package "as new".

Get a lenco L70 with a (us made) shure sc35c/n35x. With s78 great for 78s too. Doc’s order for vintage neuroses.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
I have a Plinth being made by Acoustand in the UK for my SP-10R, Lee is a real gentleman to work with.

Have you got the plinth yet?. Very interested how you are finding it.

Phantom-Audio

Apr 23, 2017
Jakarta
www.phantom-audio.com
Have you got the plinth yet?. Very interested how you are finding it.
Yes i have it but Technics SP10 still on delay its been over 8 months now on order. Getting frustrating. The Plinth is a beauty and work of art. Lee is extremely easy to talk to and deal with.

Reactions: XV-1

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Yes i have it but Technics SP10 still on delay its been over 8 months now on order. Getting frustrating. The Plinth is a beauty and work of art. Lee is extremely easy to talk to and deal with.

Crazy, on back order for 8 months. Technics must be having issues in transferring SP10R manufacturing from Japan to Malaysia. They must maintain the same quality as they have not lowered the price of the SP10R.

I have one of Lee's new SP10R plinths on order for my SP10mk3. Great to hear the positive feedback. Really looking forward to it.

What tonearm are you having with the SP10R?

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Crazy, on back order for 8 months. Technics must be having issues in transferring SP10R manufacturing from Japan to Malaysia. They must maintain the same quality as they have not lowered the price of the SP10R.

I have one of Lee's new SP10R plinths on order for my SP10mk3. Great to hear the positive feedback. Really looking forward to it.

What tonearm are you having with the SP10R?

Has the acoustand plinth arrived yet? Would love to read about your feedbacks.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Has the acoustand plinth arrived yet? Would love to read about your feedbacks.

I wish . Lee @ Acoustand is booked up 12 weeks in advance currently.
I hope in November I will receive my plinth.

Cheers

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing