MSB or Rockna DAC

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Considering one of the two DACs here. Either the Rockna Wavedream or MSB Discrete DAC. I've heard the Wavelight by Rockna and was impressed. Just wondering if anyone has had a chance to listen to the Wavedream and any of the MSB product that could provide some feedback.

For background, this for a high end desktop system through a set of powered studio monitors (Dynaudio). Mostly trying to replicate an easy to listen to analog sound. Rockna certainly comes close with the Wavelight. Just curious on the MSB equipment, love the idea of modularity and being able to upgrade at my own pace. I had a tube rig (VTL) back in the day and never forgot that sound. Trying to come close to that with a compact unit to fit on my desktop for near field listening is the goal. MSB and Rocka seem to fall into the category based on what I've heard and read.

Thank you!

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
I'm interested in this comparison as well along with Dcs Bartok, currently have a Rockna Wavelight and it is already pretty amazing, wondering what the next step is.

Reactions: Historia

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I get my MSB Discrete DAC tomorrow...Had the Rockna Wavelight for about a month. I will report what I think between these two DACs. Obviously a big delta in pricing, but it will be interesting to see the sonic differences. I am sure they are considerable considering my MSB has to outboard power supplies that have much larger toroids thank the Rockna. But nonetheless will report back

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
I get my MSB Discrete DAC tomorrow...Had the Rockna Wavelight for about a month. I will report what I think between these two DACs. Obviously a big delta in pricing, but it will be interesting to see the sonic differences. I am sure they are considerable considering my MSB has to outboard power supplies that have much larger toroids thank the Rockna. But nonetheless will report back

That would be very interesting. I have found that when I go open minded into comparisons without prejudice, results sometimes are surprising, looking forward to hearing yours.

Reactions: owen lawlor

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
That would be very interesting. I have found that when I go open minded into comparisons without prejudice, results sometimes are surprising, looking forward to hearing yours.
Shipping delays, just got it today..And it was missing a module I needed so alas I wait until Thursday to report out.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Well first impressions of the MSB Discrete DAC: I put it in the system and held back on adding the second power supply so I can fully understand what the second PS will do to the sound...All I can say is this DAC is another level (and it should be for the price diff) compared to the Wavelight...I'd hazard a guess it's closer to the Wavedream series of DACs. It's simply holographic compared to the Wavelight, gobs of high frequency detail that wasn't there with the Wavelight, but yet it's incredibly smooth (For reference my system details are below).

Wavelight is awesome for the money, but MSB is really making some incredible sounding products that function at super hifi level. It's like tear jerker stuff with some track when I listen, I feel like I've achieved my version of HiFi nirvana.

I will report back as I finalize, add the second PS and figure out the quagmire of cables..Ready to just be the first guy to do a full spool of Monoprice on a set up like this. ;)

Amp= Sugden A21SE Integrated
Source= MSB Discrete DAC
Speakers= Dynaudio Special 40
Sub= Rel T5i

Last edited:

Viper

Feb 3, 2015
Hello I just got my MSB Discrete Dac this past Saturday with 2 power supply's..I just returned it to the store Todayo_O.............Why because this dac blew my freaking mind it was the single biggest improvement in my system ever and ive made lots of improvements....Had my friend over and had to pick his jaw up off the floor........Ya i Returned it Fast because i had them get me the next level up the Premier Dac with 2 Power Supplys:cool::cool::cool:.....The sound is just mesmerizing every bit of detail to every single sound is utterly Perfect....Sound Floor what sound floor there is nothing there but the music......I just cant explain......You need to go hear any of there Dacs whenever you can get a chance.....But adding one to your system it will let you know immediately everything that has been missing in your music and everything that was missing from the rest of your system:cool::cool:

Amp - Pair of Ayon Epsilon Evo Signature Mono

Source - MSB Premier DAC

Speakers - Dunlavy SC - VI

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Hello I just got my MSB Discrete Dac this past Saturday with 2 power supply's..I just returned it to the store Todayo_O.............Why because this dac blew my freaking mind it was the single biggest improvement in my system ever and ive made lots of improvements....Had my friend over and had to pick his jaw up off the floor........Ya i Returned it Fast because i had them get me the next level up the Premier Dac with 2 Power Supplys:cool::cool::cool:.....The sound is just mesmerizing every bit of detail to every single sound is utterly Perfect....Sound Floor what sound floor there is nothing there but the music......I just cant explain......You need to go hear any of there Dacs whenever you can get a chance.....But adding one to your system it will let you know immediately everything that has been missing in your music and everything that was missing from the rest of your system:cool::cool:
Did you get the powerbase?

I have a discrete, love it. Trading it up for a brand new premier decked out with the power base. MSB is special for sure.

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
MSB knows what they are doing. Lots of happy customers and the ability to add modules as needed let’s the owner customize.
I do like the dedicated headphone amp for the Stax.

Viper

Feb 3, 2015
Did you get the powerbase?

I have a discrete, love it. Trading it up for a brand new premier decked out with the power base. MSB is special for sure.
Hello......Yes im doing 2 powerbases for the Premier....Cant wait....Wont have it for about three weeks or so.....

Reactions: skids929

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Hello......Yes im doing 2 powerbases for the Premier....Cant wait....Wont have it for about three weeks or so.....
I didn't even know you could do two power bases. That had to have been a pretty penney. Are you sure it's two power bases or two discrete power supplies?

Viper

Feb 3, 2015
Hello....That is what the dealer told me makes it the best you can get it...By the looks of the back panels i would think one base does P1 and the other does P2 from my understanding one will power the digital and the other the analog sections of the DAC.....and yes at 7500 per base it adds alot Premier-DAC-Jackpanel-White-900px-Rev2.jpg

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Hello....That is what the dealer told me makes it the best you can get it...By the looks of the back panels i would think one base does P1 and the other does P2 from my understanding one will power the digital and the other the analog sections of the DAC.....and yes at 7500 per base it adds alot View attachment 81213
Thats a single power base, you're getting two of those? The DAC is the upper part. Bottom chassis has two torroids in it, and yes one powers the digital section of the dac and the other powers the analog section, but the power base is all one chassis. When you said two powerbases that got me thinking, hmmmmm. Probably can be done actually just not sure it's needed, I just assume move up to a reference DAC at that point, you get more torroids and the hybrid dacs instead of the Prime DACs.

Viper

Feb 3, 2015
Hello.....Sorry i just took that picture off of the MSB website to show the back of the unit....I will have three pcs...Dac plus 2 Power Bases so 3 pcs all together :cool: :cool: :cool:

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Hello.....Sorry i just took that picture off of the MSB website to show the back of the unit....I will have three pcs...Dac plus 2 Power Bases so 3 pcs all together :cool: :cool: :cool:
oh wow, thats great...report back in with the differences in sound you get with that set up. Congrats on your premier. MSB is great.

billse

Apr 18, 2022
Hello....That is what the dealer told me makes it the best you can get it...By the looks of the back panels i would think one base does P1 and the other does P2 from my understanding one will power the digital and the other the analog sections of the DAC.....and yes at 7500 per base it adds alot View attachment 81213
Hi Viper
I was considering this DAC. Do you use a pre-amp or directly into power amps. Was wondering as I can't afford both pre and premier dac as well. Sounds like you really enjoy this DAC. Hope that you are still enjoying it. Bill

Viper

Feb 3, 2015
Hi Viper
I was considering this DAC. Do you use a pre-amp or directly into power amps. Was wondering as I can't afford both pre and premier dac as well. Sounds like you really enjoy this DAC. Hope that you are still enjoying it. Bill
Hello. Just to clear things up from my previous posts. There is only one Power Supply for the premier not two. I run it directly into the amps. No Preamp. I have ordered the Brand New Digital Director to go with the premier hopefully they will ship sometime in sept or Oct. that should bring the premier to another level yet. Can’t wait

Reactions: onsionsi

billse

Apr 18, 2022
So nice that you enjoy your equipment. I had just read about the digital director before coming back to check on your post. Sounds like it will be a nice addition. I will investigate further for myself but have to take the first step. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Viper

Feb 3, 2015
So nice that you enjoy your equipment. I had just read about the digital director before coming back to check on your post. Sounds like it will be a nice addition. I will investigate further for myself but have to take the first step. Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Hello. No problem. MSB does a great job in the digital domain I actually just purchased a Innuos Statement and will use that for the renderer and not use the one in the Premier Dac

Reactions: billse

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing