MQA vs. DSD, what they are, what they are not.

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
David and I capture the what is and the what is not regarding MQA and DSD.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm surprised this wasn't titled PCM vs. MQA since DSD really has nothing in common with MQA.

esldude

Could you clarify something with David Robinson for me? Ask him if he still has the ridiculous idea that redbook PCM can't properly do phase above 2 khz and that is why CD is okay for bass frequencies, but not good otherwise. Further if he still has the stupendously stupid idea that with redbook PCM the phase between channels becomes random for signals above 10 khz? If he has those opinions then I will know to continue not caring a whit about his opinion about anything digital in any format.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Could you clarify something with David Robinson for me? Ask him if he still has the ridiculous idea that redbook PCM can't properly do phase above 2 khz and that is why CD is okay for bass frequencies, but not good otherwise. Further if he still has the stupendously stupid idea that with redbook PCM the phase between channels becomes random for signals above 10 khz? If he has those opinions then I will know to continue not caring a whit about his opinion about anything digital in any format.

Well I'm sure he'll answer in a heart beat with an attitude like that.

Perhaps you might find Mark's thread an excellent guide to communication.

http://audioshark.org/general-audio-discussion-15/working-my-etiquette-7666.html#.VYOEzHD3arU

esldude

Well I'm sure he'll answer in a heart beat with an attitude like that.

Perhaps you might find Mark's thread an excellent guide to communication.

http://audioshark.org/general-audio-discussion-15/working-my-etiquette-7666.html#.VYOEzHD3arU

Well, I don't particularly consider it good manners to broadcast blatant misinformation like he did. He sure wasn't contrite when he said it. It was in a demeaning tone in fact. I actually feel he owes the audiophile public an apology. So excuse me if I didn't ask in the most wonderfully polite manner to suit your sensibilities.

(PS this in a thread started by a fellow recently calling others cowards all around, I wonder did you admonish the OP when he was doing that?)

TBone

Nov 15, 2012
If he has those opinions then I will know to continue not caring a whit about his opinion about anything digital in any format.

I can still remember him & certain pf crew peddling the first two sony players as the greatest digital players ever; w/cd or sacd, and even = to vinyl. Had the 777 in my system for months, wasn't even close to my CDP, never mind my tt. it demonstrated such a high noise floor you could consistently hear it fog over minute details, plus it tended to scream (brightly) instead of sing during more difficult material. Funny, when I had people over to check it out, they were so impressed with its style, they didn't really care how it sounded in comparison. I used to tug this lead bellied beast around to audiophiles/friends hoping someone would take it of my hands. Couldn't sell it locally, and lord knows I tried. it finally went to someone on the west coast.

That player was tooted as "special" by more than a few reviewers.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Peter, DBS (Sirrus/XM) cannot employ such technologies. The data rate for these networks is very low. XM for example has 39 kbit/sec for stereo channels. In other words, you can't even stuff 128 Kbps MP3 in there let alone 1,400 kbit/sec effective data rate of MQA.

If you are going to stream these things in your car, you need to use your cellular network and even then, maintaining 1.4 mbit/sec constantly may be a challenge although doable.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing