MQA Declares Bankruptcy

Lee if you read and understood the 2020 and 2021 MQA financial statements and Reinet Investments 2022 interim financials you would know I’m not speculating when I say MQA Limited ran out cash and then entered Administration because they couldn’t pay their bills.

Bottom line is Bob Stuart, Mike Jabra and Ken Forsythe failed and the only question now is when should Bob and Mike have realized MQA Limited was a lost cause.
What is Scala 6 worth? Where might variable throttling be valuable?

If you claim Bob and Mike failed then you must believe Scala 6 has no value. My guess is that Scala 6 may have value.

One more thing…Robert Harley, myself, Peter McGrath love the sound of MQA but we are not venture capitalists. Our job is to have an experienced opinion on sound. It’s not to judge the financial success of a startup.

I am not sure MQA will fail but if it does, it is a question of business management and capitalization. It doesn’t mean the format lacks value from a sonic standpoint.

Reactions: ashandger
Or backlash form their dishonesty that led to a decline their customer base.
As an aside, I am a little confused when a group of reviewers say:
One more thing…Robert Harley, myself, Peter McGrath love the sound of MQA but we are not venture capitalists. Our job is to have an experienced opinion on sound.
I would presume the standard would be neutrality. My experience with the absolute sound is that anything with a "sound" warranted criticism.
Long live MQA!

One more thing…Robert Harley, myself, Peter McGrath love the sound of MQA but we are not venture capitalists. Our job is to have an experienced opinion on sound.
I would presume the standard would be neutrality. My experience with the absolute sound is that anything with a "sound" warranted criticism.
Long live MQA!
All three of us heard improvement in the sound quality of Peter’s files and others with MQA encoding. You can disagree with our opinion but we were not dishonest.

As for neutrality, think about just the filters on MQA. If there is less ringing, then the sound will be closer to the performance.

There has been no decline in our customer base. We are at roughly 80K subscribers now, a three fold increase from when I started, largely due to digital subscriptions taking off like a rocket.

I am sorry Lee. I muist not have been clear. I meant MQA experienced a decline in customer base due to MQA dishonesty.
Congratulations on your current and future success. I would have subscribed already, but Google keeps asking me to verify my identity????

Edit: "As for neutrality, think about just the filters on MQA. If there is less ringing, then the sound will be closer to the performance.
Closer than what? Lossless?

Last edited:
I am sorry Lee. I muist not have been clear. I meant MQA experienced a decline in customer base due to MQA dishonesty.
Congratulations on your current and future success. I would have subscribed already, but Google keeps asking me to verify my identity????

Edit: "As for neutrality, think about just the filters on MQA. If there is less ringing, then the sound will be closer to the performance.
Closer than what? Lossless?
Oh I see. I misunderstood. In any event, MQA customer base decline is hard to measure. They have kept signing license agreements so perhaps their customers are really hardware manufacturers and music & video content companies.

What is Scala 6 worth? Where might variable throttling be valuable?

If you claim Bob and Mike failed then you must believe Scala 6 has no value. My guess is that Scala 6 may have value.
MQAir is not ready to go so the IP is not worth anything. You said you have heard a demo, fine but that is a long way from completion. And the current competition will improve the sound quality enough to satisfy almost everyone leaving no market for variable throttling.

One more thing…Robert Harley, myself, Peter McGrath love the sound of MQA but we are not venture capitalists. Our job is to have an experienced opinion on sound. It’s not to judge the financial success of a startup.

I am not sure MQA will fail but if it does, it is a question of business management and capitalization. It doesn’t mean the format lacks value from a sonic standpoint.
We were able to convince the people that mattered that your opinions about the sound quality of MQA were wrong.

The top reason startups fail is no market need. So, either the sound quality wasn’t better or nobody could convince even a tiny part of the market that it was better.

MQAir is not ready to go so the IP is not worth anything. You said you have heard a demo, fine but that is a long way from completion. And the current competition will improve the sound quality enough to satisfy almost everyone leaving no market for variable throttling.
That’s not correct. Scala 6 can be valuable to buyers even if more development is needed.

Long live MQA!
The backlash against MQA and the audiophile press prevented MQA from getting a market share. It is doubtful 300,000 people can decode an MQA file.

Bob Stuart told me himself MQA changed the sound, so it isn’t neutral.

Long live MQA? Sorry if the Licensed Insolvency Practitioners come up with a plan to rescue or restructure MQA Limited they will have to file a plan with Companies House. That plan will be the roadmap to finish MQA off for good.

That’s not correct. Scala 6 can be valuable to buyers even if more development is needed.
That would require due diligence and the administration process doesn’t allow enough time for that.

Long live MQA? Sorry if the Licensed Insolvency Practitioners come up with a plan to rescue or restructure MQA Limited they will have to file a plan with Companies House. That plan will be the roadmap to finish MQA off for good.

Long Live MQA! was satirical. The poster has made clear where he stands.

That would require due diligence and the administration process doesn’t allow enough time for that.
Sure it does. All MQA have to do is demonstrate a working prototype (which they have) and the buyers will be able to assign some value to it.

Long Live MQA! was satirical. The poster has made clear where he stands.
Hard to tell the poster’s sense of humor when he says this “Congratulations on your current and future success” about Lee.

As Lee is not a reviewer I doubt he has loaned components to return.

I wonder what is behind Tom's vitriol.

Reactions: HughP3
"The backlash against MQA and the audiophile press prevented MQA from getting a market share. It is doubtful 300,000 people can decode an MQA file."
huh? Backlash?
To this date a significant portion of the audiophile press and community remain in complete denial about their transgressions of MQA. For most of us it was fostered upon us. It failed because it is an overpriced redundancy.

As Lee is not a reviewer I doubt he has loaned components to return.

I wonder what is behind Tom's vitriol.

I honestly don’t understand why Tom put out that press release. The facts are that Tom himself approved every audio purchase I made during my time at Nextscreen and I purchased these items at standard accommodation pricing. I followed the rules closely and did nothing unethical.

I did do video reviews for our TAS video channel so I would receive equipment in for evaluation. This equipment was promptly returned after the video was shot. For example, we just did a review three weeks ago of the Alta Audio Hestia II loudspeakers with Infigo electronics. We shot the video and the very next day a truck picked up the huge boxes and Pelican-like cases and took them to a warehouse in advance of the Axpona show.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing