Most extreme Von Schweikert system on the planet?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Jack, is this the brother that is coming with you next week to the SF Bay Area? I am looking forward to meeting the two of you. Dont forget to bring with the music that you know well and use to compare systems

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gavin, If you don't mind a third of the system, I'll adopt you ;)

Hi Steve,

Yes he's the one that will be meeting up with us. When you see us for the first time, I'm the better looking one. Hahahahaha. I'll burn a compilation of familiar tracks :) Can't wait to meet you too.

Jack

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
promises to be fun.

i was hoping to have my outboard head amp for my Studer up and running but doesnt look that will happen by then. My bypass switch was done several months ago but I have been dragging my feet trying to choose which head amp to go with. The gentleman who built my switch wants to build his own head amp which I am leaning towards although I am intrigued by the new one from DeHavilland which people are saying emulates the Ampex sound

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Cara is doing a tape head amp? Looks like the tape community is growing more than I had thought.

Their stuff always has wonderfully rich tone. I can imagine what they say about emulating the Ampex sound. Jim had a couple of Revox R2Rs back in the day and we're both eyeing the Tape Project catalog. Our only stumbling block is the lack of qualified technicians in our country.

Dimfer

Member Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Canada
just wondering if the Emperor ever considered ML3 for this system, and why he picked VAC instead.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Jim is about headroom Ding and the ML3 delivers it best with a partnering Lamm pre especially the LL1. This is sort of where the stumbling block lay. He has a lot of sources and for him a remote is a must. He also likes the 7.5 series of Pres from VTL for their extremely neutral presentation and fantastic ergonomics.

I'm the one considering the ML3 + LL1 down the road and have been kicking around ideas with Albert for a ~105dB semi-active loudspeaker to deliver the goods. He's been doing some stuff at the cal-tech lab to investigate some things I can't really disclose. ;)

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I'm the one considering the ML3 + LL1 down the road and have been kicking around ideas with Albert for a ~105dB semi-active loudspeaker to deliver the goods. He's been doing some stuff at the cal-tech lab to investigate some things I can't really disclose. ;)
What a tease! Very interesting.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
He has a lot of sources and for him a remote is a must.

Jack,

I share this "lazy" view :eek: ! I can not imagine a good preamplifier without a remote. I like to adjust the level of the music from my seat, most of the time without looking to the preamplifier scale.

Although I believe that doctors can consider that this regular walk to turn the volume knob is good for our health!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The L2 is worth walking for, the LL1 is worth climbing a mountain for :)

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi JackD201,

I heard a wonderfully synergistic digital system using the Lamm L2 Reference linestage, the Lamm ML 3 mono blocks and the Gemme Vivace speakers. You can play around with this wonderful little system while waiting for Albert to cobble up a speaker for you.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I was privileged to have entered this most extreme VS set-up last Saturday. Words are not really enough to express my feelings after listening to this carefully thought out and designed audio system and fantastically well treated room. It is really like walking into an 'emperor's music palace. Being in there listening to music is so pleasurable time is the main obstacle. It flies so fast. There is so much to listen to in here, what with the multiple analog combinations. Each record sounds different. You can just pick your best strawberry and eat it. Mighty impressive.

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I few months ago, I got an invite that I had been waiting for more than 2 and a half years - a return trip to the the most extreme VS based system I've ever heard to listen to the MKII revision of the astounding VR11SEs and the second 'city premiere' (the first was from Jack) of the Tech Das Air Force 1 turntable.

I took a few pictures, and here is the view from the listening chair.

Big tube amps from VAC, WAVAC, and VTL.

Closer look at the VAC and WAVAC amps.

The front end. Too many to mention. :D

TechDas AF1 with 2 fabulous looking tonearms from Durand - the Telos (back) and Talea (right side)

Again, I have to repeat that words are not enough to describe the musical experience. We played lots of genres of music and music I am very familiar with. The scale and dynamics is incredible, and the music sounds fantastic from almost anywhere in the room. Prior to this, I visited Jack a few weeks before and I found the sound already awesome enough but I told Jack, this one is very much like yours but BIGGER! :D And for me and the NBA, bigger is better. :D Sorry Jack, but as I said before, Shaq is Shaq. But wait a minute, Shaq is tapped to MOVE to your house soon. I may have to revise my line. :D

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
The system looks great, the set-up of the room is beautifully executed.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
:D

I changed the stuffing density of 4 of my in-wall bass traps in preparation for Shaq's attack, in the meantime I have to raise the crossover point above factory flat. I sure can't wait!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Love the system and the room...wow...

jadis

Apr 28, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The system looks great, the set-up of the room is beautifully executed.

It's truly a beautifully constructed building, from the outside to the inside, and once inside, I always felt like I didn't want to go home. :D Very cozy, comfortable and cold. :D 6 hours is like 6 minutes. :D

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
WOW, what an amazing system!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
What's in back of the WAVACs? Is the system triamped?

Guess no one told your friend that tubes amplifiers ring. :)

What's he got for tapes?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Jadis,

Great system. Tubephile gets a new meaning!
Most of the cabling was hidden - a very nice feature. We can see some Shunyata vestiges - what was the remaining of it?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing