More on the Q5s

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Several paragraphs of waffling and qualifying by JV. X WAS the REALLY BEST, but Y now is the REALLY REALLY BESTEST, HONEST.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I did like the M5 when I heard it, thought that if the Q5 were able to do as well or better at a lower price it would be a real contender. It seems the Magicos really need careful component matching to do their best.

Husk

Member Sponsor
Apr 20, 2010
Spokane, Wa.
Hi Fi + has also just released a full review by Alan Sircom in their newest issue calling the Q5 the best speaker in the world for what its with.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The Q5 is the best loudspeaker and so can you - by Jack Handey.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Yawn. i'm getting rid of my TAS subscription its so bad with Valin-speak these days.

all from a guy who just figured out first reflections should be treated like a year ago.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
JA is not wearing a tuxedo while doing those measurements. Clearly, the measurements must be defective.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I read Fremer's review of the Q5 in the Nov Stereophile last night - I find it extremely spot on with my own experience. This is a rare occurrence for me at least to agree with reviewers.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I read Fremer's review of the Q5 in the Nov Stereophile last night - I find it extremely spot on with my own experience. .

With the Q5 you'll need multiple speaker systems... One for acoustic, one for large orchestra, one for rock... one for.........

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
With the Q5 you'll need multiple speaker systems... One for acoustic, one for large orchestra, one for rock... one for.........

Not sure what you mean, but his review covered large orchestral pieces right along with acoustic et al.

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
Bruce may I ask you to elaborate?

2 Quotes from the review:

"If you listen exclusively or mostly to acoustic music, you'll find the Magico Q5 sets new standards in many areas of speaker performance."

"I can't imagine anyone who's in this game for the music and not the gear, and who's okay with the Q5's subtler bottom octaves, who wouldn't want to own a pair of Magico Q5's-particularly if they listen mostly or exclusively to acoustic music. "

Sounds like a "one trick pony" to me.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
Thanks, Bruce. I did not read the review - heck, I have read any review in more years than I can remember - but I wholeheartedly agree with what you are implying: a great speaker is one that will sound great no matter what you throw at it.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

"If you listen exclusively or mostly to acoustic music, you'll find the Magico Q5 sets new standards in many areas of speaker performance."

"I can't imagine anyone who's in this game for the music and not the gear, and who's okay with the Q5's subtler bottom octaves, who wouldn't want to own a pair of Magico Q5's-particularly if they listen mostly or exclusively to acoustic music. "

You should probably read the entire review and not just the conclusion.

jperrein

Jun 10, 2010

What a strange thing to say, especially coming from a mastering engineer. You are a mastering engineer, right?

If you call "acoustic music" (which I believe includes, among others: classical orchestral, chamber and instrumental music, Operas and vocals, Jazz in most of its forms, blues, folks etc) a "one trick pony" then it must be a hell of a pony.

BTW, If you bother to fully read the review you will realize that MF actually does think that the Q5 is a hell of a pony.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I seem to have apointed myself "Bruce B defender of the Day". Acoustic Music is demanding, no doubt but electronic music can be brutal... It is one thing to reproduce a guitar nicely, another to reproduce the massive SPL of a Hard Rock COncert or the huge Bass wallop of some (well recordeed0 hip hop music.. I have not heard the Q5 so can't comment on its performance , I have however heard that bass and sheer SPL ouput were not its forte .. hearsay I repeat ... So if it is good at Acoustic Music only, then I would have looked at a more "universal" speaker since I listen to anything from Power Wester Clasiical to Easter Indian Classical Music and Hard Rock and Rap and Hip Hop and World Music ...

Bruce B

Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
I have read the review, twice. As a mastering engineer, I don't know what's coming though the door next. Last week I did a rock/punk band from Belgium, this week an electronic band from D.C. Next week I have 7hr. of solo jazz piano to do. I made sure the speakers I have now can reproduce Chinese drums!
As I've stated before, I"ve heard every Magico speaker (except for Ultimate), in multiple venues/set-ups, and have not liked any of them. Speakers are a personal thing, I prefer busty blondes...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing