Spinning :)

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpeg
    IMG_0196.jpeg
    775.8 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: kozzmo

kozzmo

Nov 19, 2019
Every time I try a new cartridge the Lyra Delos ends up back in my system...however it's a love hate thing....the Delos lacks just a bit of weight that other cartridges seem to have, especially with brass instruments....perhaps it's time to up the line!!

Reactions: Mendel

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Every time I try a new cartridge the Lyra Delos ends up back in my system...however it's a love hate thing....the Delos lacks just a bit of weight that other cartridges seem to have, especially with brass instruments....perhaps it's time to up the line!!
That was the thing I noticed first, the Kleos is fuller in the bass and lower midrange than the Delos. However, it is not a warm cartridge like my wood bodied Benz Micro, but definitely not thin or strident. It is the most neutral cartridge I have had in my system. Extremely quiet in the groove, very fast and dynamic (like the Delos), and very detailed throughout the whole range.
If you like the Delos you will love the Kleos.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
I now have approximately 100 hours on my Kleos. The sound has opened up quite a bit, especially the top treble. I am thrilled by the sound I am getting, the best ever for me.
The Kleos is very responsive to setup. Tiny changes in alignment, azimuth, tracking force and VTA are easily heard and very worthwhile. When you get it right you can really hear it.
The Kleos is not a warm sounding cartridge like my old Benz wood body. Nor is it a lean or cold sounding cartridge. If the recording Is sweet and warm, thats what you hear. If the recording is thin or strident, that’s what you hear. Nothing is glossed over or altered. In my all tube/full range electrostatic setup this works great. In a solid state state system with metal dome tweeters the Kleos might be too neutral. But probably not.
The Kleos is first and foremost a detail revealer. I know it is a cliche, but honestly I am hearing things in records I have played for 40 years that I never heard before (not even with two Delos’s). These tiny details make the sound seem less electronic, more real sounding. The added information also aids in imaging. The speakers disappear (not easy with 5’ by 2’ electrostatics) and the center fill is excellent. Amazing.
Very happy with the Kleos, I can definitely recommend it for anyone shopping for a cartridge in this price range.

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
I now have approximately 100 hours on my Kleos. The sound has opened up quite a bit, especially the top treble. I am thrilled by the sound I am getting, the best ever for me.
The Kleos is very responsive to setup. Tiny changes in alignment, azimuth, tracking force and VTA are easily heard and very worthwhile. When you get it right you can really hear it.
The Kleos is not a warm sounding cartridge like my old Benz wood body. Nor is it a lean or cold sounding cartridge. If the recording Is sweet and warm, thats what you hear. If the recording is thin or strident, that’s what you hear. Nothing is glossed over or altered. In my all tube/full range electrostatic setup this works great. In a solid state state system with metal dome tweeters the Kleos might be too neutral. But probably not.
The Kleos is first and foremost a detail revealer. I know it is a cliche, but honestly I am hearing things in records I have played for 40 years that I never heard before (not even with two Delos’s). These tiny details make the sound seem less electronic, more real sounding. The added information also aids in imaging. The speakers disappear (not easy with 5’ by 2’ electrostatics) and the center fill is excellent. Amazing.
Very happy with the Kleos, I can definitely recommend it for anyone shopping for a cartridge in this price range.
This is excellent! I've been a Delos user since 2016 and just got a new one but now thinking I will exchange it for a Kleos. My local dealer will be sending me one to demo for a couple weeks. I'm sure I will tell him to order one...
Thanks for your review!
Cheers

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
This is excellent! I've been a Delos user since 2016 and just got a new one but now thinking I will exchange it for a Kleos. My local dealer will be sending me one to demo for a couple weeks. I'm sure I will tell him to order one...
Thanks for your review!
Cheers
If you can swing it I think you will be happy. The difference is not night and day, the Delos is a great cartridge. But the Kleos does everything the Delos does just a little better. Totally worth it for me. Hopefully they will have a Lambda version of the Kleos out for my next one, the Etna is way out there for me price wise.

kozzmo

Nov 19, 2019
If you can swing it I think you will be happy. The difference is not night and day, the Delos is a great cartridge. But the Kleos does everything the Delos does just a little better. Totally worth it for me. Hopefully they will have a Lambda version of the Kleos out for my next one, the Etna is way out there for me price wise.
Having just went from a Delos to an Etna(older non Lambda) I can tell you that the Delos is worth every penny it sells for. There seems to be a point in this hobby where things get incrementally better at a cost of several more thousands...and the Delos packs it all in at 2K and that may be the point where cost vs dollars paid is the best bang for the buck. Everything after that gets much more expensive for less in return...

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
I've had the Kleos on loan now for about 3 weeks. I think the loaner has a slight, very slight bend in the cantilever so the performance may be off. I have to skew the cart more than normal to align the cantilever.......but even with that I am getting some added benefits of the Kleos over the Delos. I've advised my dealer to go ahead and order me a Kleos, I know Lyra is behind in production so will be at least 2 months out. The biggest benefit I notice is surface noise dropped quite a bit. And that's saying a lot since I always had low surface noise with the Delos.......

Cheers!

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Four months on. Still totally smitten by the Kleos. Way warmer in the mids than the Delos. Very detailed, and the quietest cartridge I have ever heard in the groove. Silence until the music jumps out. I have never had a Koetsu, maybe the Kleos sounds cool and analytical compared to a Rosewood Signature. Or maybe the Koetsu sounds slow and overripe compared to the Kleos. Very subjective, but I may have to find out someday. Until then very happy. Cheers!
P.S. Would also love to try one of the Hana Umami’s, I really like my Hana SL (although it’s not in the same league as the Kleos nor should it be for its price). So many great cartridges out there….

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
I received my Kleos sooner than I expected.......Absolutely a great decision on my part to upgrade from the Delos. Fully setup, using both Wally Tractor and Foz Meter, some of the best measurements I've had with the Foz. All this shows with the Kleos performance, biggest benefit is resolution is much much higher than the Delos, and low end is more articulate, still has the deep tone that I got with Delos but with higher clarity. I also have to agree with @Mendel the surface noise has been all but eliminated with the Kleos, especially new records.

Here it is all setup and doing its job~!
Cheers

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Catcher10 congrats!
Enjoy your Kleos, it will get even better after the first hundred hours.

Reactions: Catcher10

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Catcher10 congrats!
Enjoy your Kleos, it will get even better after the first hundred hours.
Everything I have spun so far sounds fantastic...Including older records have a new sound. What really helped was the Wally Tractor, I had been suspicious of my previous protractors just not giving me the desired outcome.
The Wally is very involving and takes a lot of patience to use, especially getting used to the mirror surface and the arc line, super hard to see that you have it spot on. The cantilever alignment is easier, but setting overhang with the arc line is really an eye strain!! After all that the Foz meter readings were spot on...
Soundstage is widest I've ever experienced as well depth and 3D is cra-cra.........I'm happy!

Jackl3y

Sep 9, 2022
I’m interested in the Lyra but my system is already a bit forward so something a little laid back would be a better fit. Also pondering Phasemation and MSL. Not sure where that’s going lol but will need a new art I. The next 6 months.
my phone is a current injection type so no loading.

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018
Everything I have spun so far sounds fantastic...Including older records have a new sound. What really helped was the Wally Tractor, I had been suspicious of my previous protractors just not giving me the desired outcome.
The Wally is very involving and takes a lot of patience to use, especially getting used to the mirror surface and the arc line, super hard to see that you have it spot on. The cantilever alignment is easier, but setting overhang with the arc line is really an eye strain!! After all that the Foz meter readings were spot on...
Soundstage is widest I've ever experienced as well depth and 3D is cra-cra.........I'm happy!
Listening to this record and can't stop smiling at how dynamic it is, as the resolution is stunning with the Kleos..........

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing