Max Townshend RIP

108CY

May 4, 2013
I am sad to write to write about a dear friend Max Townshend who left this world yesterday at the age of 78, I spoke with his wife and daughter Harriot this morning and encouraged me to write a few words. I first knew of Max over 40 years ago when i my father owned a Cranfeild Rock, I first met max when i was 10 years old and was using a Rock (one of my dads) from this age. Over the years we developed a strong friendship. His sheer dedication and passion and knowledge of engineering and production was truly breathtaking. Townshend was set up in 1975 in Sydney. Max came to England in 1978 and launched the parabolic stylus and then met professorJack Dinsdale at an early Penta show, max understood that Professor dinsdales approach was truly unique and decided to max the approach widely available this was the beginning on what became a truly iconic turntable. The majority of rock turntables were manufactured in Walton upon thames in the uk and with the launch of the Rock reference max had moved operations to Malta and for a three years he moved to Texas. The Rock reference had many wonderful reviews with the likes of REG from absolute sounds using it as his reference turntable together with John Bamford of Hifi answers together with many others. Max was a remarkable individual who really believed in his approaches and what could be achieved and provided a huge amount of enjoyment to thousands of Rock owners over the world especially with the Elite rock. Max was a friend to me and we had many hours of interesting conversations on analogue replay, and came to my wedding over 15 years ago. In 2007 Max introduced the Rock V after many years of not making turntable I actually received an early sample on the day of my wedding, later he introduced a simplified turntable the rock 7. I will say it there was only one Max Townshend a true legend and a contributed vastly to our industry in his 78 years on this planet he was born in 1943 in Australia. He leaves behind his dear wife sue and his three daughters and grand child. and will be missed by many I will most certainly miss Max end of and era for many. It shows us life is so precious and the importance of valuing each other.

Last edited:

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
RIP Max.

I luv his Super Tweeters - great product

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Very sad to hear this earlier this morning

While I only crossed paths at a couple of shows. From memory don't think I ever owned any of his products but they were always intriguing. I giant within the UK audio scene, he will be missed by many. RIP

Reactions: bonzo75

audioquest4life

Sep 23, 2020
RIP Max. He was a great designer of audio products.

Apk99 delete

Nov 8, 2021
RIP Max. I had the surprise pleasure of speaking with him recently after purchasing an Allegri Reference. My condolences to his family.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
One of my absolute favourite people in audio. Innovative, and effective products that really worked. He sent me the Bugge thesis on tonearm damping. In Autumn (not sure the month) this year he told me about a new turntable project after his latest pre-amp. As a tribute to him and the thesis I am going to complete 2 TT projects ASAP . Miss you Max

Reactions: 108CY

Klonk

Mar 4, 2012
RIP Max. I used a few of your products and always like them a lot.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Just noticed this sad news … A character in the industry for sure in a good way.
I hope the company continues without him at the helm , his SEISMIC VIBRATION ISOLATION
Pods , Platforms and Podium bases are very effective , particularly for those of us cursed with suspended wooden floors

Password PODIUM

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
May he Rest In Peace! Indeed an excellent person to deal with. I didn’t have the pleasure of knowing him personally as well as Mik does. But I have had the pleasure of dealing with him when I got my custom made seismic podium. A true gentleman and an excellent product, I still swear by.

Sorry for your loss, Mik!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Very sad to hear this earlier today, he will be very much missed especially here in the UK, he was a big part of our show scene, always up for a good conversation about engineering amongst many other things, his legacy will live on in his ingenious products sold all around the world..

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Oh How sad :( --always great to chat to him at the UK shows--he will be sorely missed-he was a "Sandgroper" from WA Australia .

RIP!:mad:

BruceD

KenK

May 11, 2017
This is heartbreaking. I saw Max a few months ago at the memorial for another of hi-fi's true originals, Tim de Paravicini. This is a terrible loss. Lots of love to Sue.

Chop

Aug 9, 2020
England
Nice note Mik. Its a great shame to lose him.

darkmatter

Mar 11, 2014
East Anglia UK
Very sad news.
I always enjoyed my chats with Max at various HiFi shows over the years and use two of his TVC pre-amps in my systems, One Loudspeaker I would love to have learned more about is the Sir Galahad. I heard them at the Penta show, must have been early / mid 90s. They were excellent with scale, dynamics and extreme bass extension.
Condolences to his family and friends.
RIP Max

108CY

May 4, 2013
Very sad news.
I always enjoyed my chats with Max at various HiFi shows over the years and use two of his TVC pre-amps in my systems, One Loudspeaker I would love to have learned more about is the Sir Galahad. I heard them at the Penta show, must have been early / mid 90s. They were excellent with scale, dynamics and extreme bass extension.
Condolences to his family and friends.
RIP Max

Max took a smaller version of the Sir Galahads to the show, John Bamford had the only pair of the original design.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing