Mastering and the different media

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Smokester

Most pictures of mastering facilities indeed show cramped spaces with speakers the usual audiophiles aren't even aware of. A few things:

The speakers are not necessarily bad, some are excellent .. Try to listen to Genelec , Dynaudio to have an idea,
second there are exceptions .. Maybe more than you and I know have noticed to wit this picture taken from our very own Bruce B. Pudget Mastering Studios:

or that one which I believe is from SONY , don't know what these speakers are ..

or that ?

I don't know about the space this last speaker is in

Frantz

Isn't this the Stubblebine person from the Tape Project?

The Smokester

Jun 7, 2010
N. California
Frantz, Yes...And modern recordings have been getting better and better IMHO. I guess I still wonder how some of the old golden records came to be so good (in particular, balanced in frequency) but maybe I have the wrong impression about the reference systems they were judged on. Then again maybe the few oldie originals I prefer, in comparison to the reissues, were flukes and modern remastering of the reissues is dominating my impressions.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I believe those are Sony speakers that never made it to market. Saw them in a show report a few years back. Part of the ES project. Notice the super tweeters on top. Very interesting indeed. They look a bit like Eidolons don't they?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing