Manfred Mann Earth Band, a little late to this party, any fans here at WBF

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Never paid any attention to this band other than the Springsteen cover tunes played on the radio years ago. I apparently acquired a copy in one of my bulk purchases awhile ago. Recently I have been turning my head to my record collection and blindly pulling out a record and listening to both sides and make a decision to keep or discard.

So this time I pulled out Roaring Silence, not the original, this one had Spirits in the Night stuck in there, the one and only MMEB album I own.

Let me just say it was a big mistake on my behalf to assume I knew what this band was about based on a couple cover tunes played on the radio. I had ZERO idea they were a Prog-ish band with gobs of talent on display. I am working my way through their catalog now via streaming. Really surprised no one has taken an interest ( Steve Wilson) in remixing these seventies recordings, alot of magic there!

Any fans out there, anyone care to rub in my ignorance on not investigating this music decades ago...

Reactions: Al M.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Have Nightingales and Bombers (1975). Crazy good (!!) album, all excellent musicians. Great own compositions, and great, inventive covers. Spirits in the Sky by Springsteen, Visionary Mountains by Joan Armatrading. Incredible drumming on the latter.

As a teenager I also had Solar Fire (1973) and Watch (1977) on vinyl. Big fan back then, still am, but it hasn't been a main interest of mine to listen to the albums. I should. I am also a big Beatles fan, but don't own a single album currently (after I ditched my vinyl following my teenage years).

Your post inspired me. I should listen on YouTube to some of the other old stuff of MMEB that I used to have and see if it still grabs me. Probably it will, given how much I love Nightingales and Bombers.

Reactions: ddk and Hi-FiGuy

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
Have Nightingales and Bombers (1975). Crazy good (!!) album, all excellent musicians. Great own compositions, and great, inventive covers. Spirits in the Sky by Springsteen, Visionary Mountains by Joan Armatrading. Incredible drumming on the latter.

As a teenager I also had Solar Fire (1973) and Watch (1977) on vinyl. Big fan back then, still am, but it hasn't been a main interest of mine to listen to the albums. I should. I am also a big Beatles fan, but don't own a single album currently (after I ditched my vinyl following my teenage years).

Your post inspired me. I should listen on YouTube to some of the other old stuff of MMEB that I used to have and see if it still grabs me. Probably it will, given how much I love Nightingales and Bombers.
Just finished up from the first album through Solar Fire so I have Good Earth to get through before N&B, looking forward to all of it.
The song Road to Babylon on Roaring Silence hooked me and took me down the rabbit hole.

I like how he draws off Classical / Jazz / Blues. His interpretations of classical are pretty cool. He is like the modern day band Disturbed making killer covers. Quite the social justice / environmental warrior of the day too! So much so he was banned from going to his home in South Africa due to his very outspoken stance on apartheid.

Reactions: ddk

P-pan

Sep 28, 2015
Better to be late to the party than to miss it completely.

I've probably been listening to MMEB since the late '70s. Maybe not so regularly but in periods.

Thx for reminding me.

First out...

Manfred Mann_412.JPG

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
...I had and liked the "My Name's Jack" 45 rpm circa 1968. That count for anything?

Well, it's not his Earth Band, but it counts as Manfred Mann. I also like his "Pretty Flamingo" and "Mighty Quinn".

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Actually, I just listened again to "Pretty Flamingo". I don't like this song, I *love* this song!!

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...I love the pants they're wearing on the Pretty Flamingo album cover, Qobuz version, but the version/pic with the girl and the boa seems more "correct." Good call. Cool song. So very "of the time" musically, right?

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Yes, have several vinyls, still listen to them in rotation. I don't even know how famous they ever were, first heard on WTUL radio in New Orleans in the olden days, taped some of the music, got the vinyls in the 90's.

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
So I have made it up through Roaring Silence thus far. So blown away by the music and the talent. Least favorite thus far, The Good Earth, some bright spots and some not so bright. Favorite so far, everything else. N&B, damn Gina!

Some damn brilliant music here.

I was talking about the band with someone and he made the statement that there was so much of that kind of music at the time that some got over looked. I could not agree more.

Looking forward to moving on to Watch and then seeing what they did with the 80's, an era that in my opinion, the only good thing that came out of it was Metal, we shall see!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing