Lps that disappointed you sound wise

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Recently I purchased the Sinatra Capital Years box set. Sound is mostly very very good. Yes I compared a couple of lps from the box set with copies I already owned and no a couple were not as good, but overall very happy with my purchase

Next I decided to get the Nat King Cole Capital Years box set. My other fave solo male singer. The Sinatra had whet my appetite. But oh no. What’s this. Vocals waaaaay too forward in the mix drowning out the lush arrangements. Unlike the Sinatra where he sits lovely, immersed in the music and just right IMHO

I tried the first few lps of both box sets with the same outcome. Sinatra sitting pretty. Nat way too high in the mix ( mastering?) and full in your face in a most uncomfortable way. (I also thought Nats song choices were often not to me liking - but that’s another issue altogether.) Tres disappointing.

What lps were you let down by, sound wise?

Cableman

Dec 27, 2013
Are those the sets mastered by Alan Dell? I’ve not heard the Cole box, but judging by how well he did with the Sinatra set I’m guessing the tapes Dell worked with for NKC were mixed as you describe originally. And to answer your question, anything mastered by Bob Norberg.

Actually, “let down” is much too kind for the masterings Norberg imposed himself upon at Capitol. What a waste of resources.
They are. And that’s what shocked me. Sinatra good. Cole very very bad!

Reactions: jeff1225

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Cat Stephen's Tea for the Tillerman. I was not impressed neither by the content nor sound quality. A collector took it off my hands.
That is my subjective opinion.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Most of the vinyl reissues of 90’s rock music is horrible: Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, etc. Not surprising as they were never released on vinyl in the first place.

i was impressed with the Mofi reissue of Weezer’s Pinkerton however.

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
99.99% of modern digital vinyl remasters

Reactions: Bruce B

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think John Denver's The Windstar Greatest Hits has terrible sound. I literally threw the record in the garbage.

Reactions: Cableman

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I think John Denver's The Windstar Greatest Hits has terrible sound. I literally threw the record in the garbage.

Thanks, that’s one I won’t purchase,

Re-tread

Mar 8, 2020
I always wished that Supertramp's Breakfast in America sounded (was mixed?) better.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Yellow man reissue.very poor sound and I used to own the original which was good sounding.i fort the reissue would be better but boy was I wrong.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing