Looking for subwoofer recommendations for TAD CE1 TX stand mount speakers

luthcol

Jul 25, 2015
I am looking for subwoofer recommendations for my TAD CE1 TX speakers. My room size is 28 x 22 with 15' ceiling.
All help appreciated.
Mick

I am looking for subwoofer recommendations for my TAD CE1 TX speakers. My room size is 28 x 22 with 15' ceiling.
All help appreciated.
Mick
Hi Mick,

I would strongly suggest that you investigate the JL Audio CR-1 active line level crossover, regardless of which subwoofer/s you choose to integrate with your TAD speakers. For subwoofers themselves, I would be inclined to go with sealed units with a preference for two smaller units rather than a single large unit. If budget is not a limiting factor then a pair of JL Audio f212v2 would be great, otherwise, a pair of f112v2 would be on my radar.

I have a similar size room /ceiling height and use a pair of Velodyne dd10 plus subs with my CR1’s to very good effect, with the Servo set at its highest. I have the subs on 22” sistrum stands and sitting very far from any walls or corners for very tight bass with no overhang. I run my TAD’s full range as I’ve heard people say even the very good JL crossover will have a detrimental impact on sound.

While Uber expensive, I’d love to hear the new Wilson benesch infrasonic generators and hope to hear them soon, but at $30k US each……

Below is my Velodyne setup.

IMG_4566.jpeg

I would argue that the insertion loss (impact on ultimate sonic transparency) of an active line level crossover like the JL Audio CR-1 is absolutely negligible compared to the huge benefits of relieving the "satellite" speakers and their driving amplifiers of the lowest octave (via the CR-1's high pass filter at 24 dB/octave). Under these conditions, I would expect significantly greater mid-bass power and midrange purity plus a smoother blend between satellite and subs.

Maybe your personal experience is different.

I would argue that the insertion loss (impact on ultimate sonic transparency) of an active line level crossover like the JL Audio CR-1 is absolutely negligible compared to the huge benefits of relieving the "satellite" speakers and their driving amplifiers of the lowest octave (via the CR-1's high pass filter at 24 dB/octave). Under these conditions, I would expect significantly greater mid-bass power and midrange purity plus a smoother blend between satellite and subs.

Maybe your personal experience is different.
I haven’t tried using a crossover but when I was interested in buying the JL crossover, several people said they had one and didn’t like how it affected the upper pass. I was wondering if making a passive speaker cable with hard wired roll off filter just for woofer section might be more transparent? Meaning bi-wire.

I haven’t tried using a crossover but when I was interested in buying the JL crossover, several people said they had one and didn’t like how it affected the upper pass. I was wondering if making a passive speaker cable with hard wired roll off filter just for woofer section might be more transparent? Meaning bi-wire.
I expect that the passive components required for such a high pass filter (at around 80-120 Hz) would be extremely large, expensive and with tremendous potential to colour the sound, at least compared to the active solution. Otherwise, why do people change small value capacitors in preamps in pursuit of sonic differences.

I am an advocate of extremely transparent volume controls over active preamps but the electroacoustical benefits of properly implemented line level active crossovers outweigh any possible insertion loss or distortions by several orders of magnitude.

I have a similar size room /ceiling height and use a pair of Velodyne dd10 plus subs with my CR1’s to very good effect, with the Servo set at its highest. I have the subs on 22” sistrum stands and sitting very far from any walls or corners for very tight bass with no overhang. I run my TAD’s full range as I’ve heard people say even the very good JL crossover will have a detrimental impact on sound.

While Uber expensive, I’d love to hear the new Wilson benesch infrasonic generators and hope to hear them soon, but at $30k US each……

View attachment 130349
Thank you for your recommendation.

View attachment 130349
The Wilson Benesch infrasonic generator is on my list as is the Magico subwoofers. I was told by a few people that I trust that the WB is the one that would pair the best with my speakers

@luthcol, the only issue with the WB is the cost. 2 subs is always better than 1 as far as smoothing out and distributing bass. The new IGx would be $60k for the pair. The previous generation, could be powered with a more powerful amp than they sold with it. Not sure how much an improvement the new generation makes. Unfortunately I’ve never heard either, but hope to soon.

@Young Skywalker I’d want to roll off the bass to my tad woofers much lower, around 60hz as I’m not sure how well my subs would play much higher. I’ll start asking around about a passive solution to experiment with. I’ve also thought about sealing the port in my tad as that would limit the bass extension. Anyone done this?

Last edited:
Reactions: Young Skywalker
@luthcol, the only issue with the WB is the cost. 2 subs is always better than 1 as far as smoothing out and distributing bass. The new IGx would be $60k for the pair. The previous generation, could be powered with a more powerful amp than they sold with it. Not sure how much an improvement the new generation makes. Unfortunately I’ve never heard either, but hope to soon.

@Young Skywalker I’d want to roll off the bass to my tad woofers much lower, around 60hz as I’m not sure how well my subs would play much higher. I’ll start asking around about a passive solution to experiment with. I’ve also thought about sealing the port in my tad as that would limit the bass extension. Anyone done this?
How do you find the bass on your Reference TAD speakers? I am considering upgrading to the TAD-R1TX but I really love the mids and trebles on my CE1 TX and do not want to give that up.

How do you find the bass on your Reference TAD speakers? I am considering upgrading to the TAD-R1TX but I really love the mids and trebles on my CE1 TX and do not want to give that up.
I’m not sure why the mid/treble would be of any concern moving to the reference series. But only you can decide if the upgrade is for you after listening.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing