Looking for cheap humor? Double your interconnects

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Want a perfect example of what can make this hobby really stupid? Let's start with Doubling Interconnects, from another dumb online publication https://www.dagogo.com/audio-blast-schroeder-method-interconnect-placement/ - how did I miss this jewel

The method I am about to share involves doubling of interconnects. The inspiration for this was the experience of consistently obtaining superior performance from an audio system by doubling speaker cables. By “doubling” I do not mean shotgun speaker cables, but a literal parallel arrangement, wherein two pair are laid atop of each other, as it were, with all connections parallel. That also is a “do at your own risk” activity; one mistake in crossing over a connection and you can blow up an amp. I always check connections three times before turning on a new system, and I suggest this caution for anyone, especially those who are trying something new, have a tendency to be hasty, and/or have limited experience.
I discussed this method extensively with some industry insiders, including the two cable companies referenced below. In all my discussions there were two potential hazards, concerns that were shared First, that the output of the source component needs to be sufficient to drive the doubled interconnects and, second, that the doubling of interconnects should be avoided between active preamps and amplifiers. Regarding the first concern about the output being sufficient to drive the doubled interconnects, there are some designs in DACs that do not use opamps and do not have nearly as high voltage output as other DACs. The doubling of interconnects is seen by the source component as though driving interconnects twice the length and some esoteric designs, such as some NOS (Non-Oversampling) DACs, may not handle it well. Though I have no experience with the Schroeder Method and portable DACs, I would think investigation as to compatibility would be the order of the day.
Building hundreds of systems, over 30 years of being a hobbyist, and 12 years of reviewing has taught me that total gauge is perhaps the most important aspect of a cable’s performance, whether power cord or signal cable, and the heavier the gauge, the better. This is not to imply that conductor material is not important. Based on those results, as well as my experiments with doubling of speaker cables, I wondered what the potential benefit to the sound might be for doubling of interconnects. Most manufacturers of cables do not seem terribly interested, or convinced, of the efficacy of heavier gauge interconnects. Frankly, this strikes me as a neglected area of system design and implementation by industry insiders and hobbyists.

Last edited:
A couple of my customers, whom I would consider to be sane and rational individuals, use this implementation with supposedly good results in both analog and spdif domains.

Quite a few cable manufacturers use progressively larger gauges as you ascend their model hierarchies and gains are consistently reported. I also don’t think it is any great secret that my Sablon cables all use far larger gauges than is normal. So far, so empirically observed.

The thing I don’t ‘get’ about the Schroeder method is how the introduction of two further lossy plug/jack interfaces doesn’t take the sound backwards. Surely it would be better to just build a bigger better cable in the first place?

Yet more theoretically challenging (and one for the advanced conspiracy theorists) however is the (customer) reported view that one can use two different interconnects with very different electrical parameters and blend their sound qualities for better overall sound. This is where I would have expected different impedance loads to have introduced smearing.

All a bit outside my comfort zone for a Sunday morning.

Putting interconnects in parallel will reduce resistance and inductance, which may be good if these are "too high" to begin with, but will increase the capacitance (to the sum of the two), which is rarely (never?) a good thing in interconnects.

This will likely change the sound in some poorly controlled way, but indeed why not trust a designer to optimize these variables in one single well-conceived IC?

It will certainly make things sound different. Maybe some would like it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing