Looking for a “fun” sounding cartridge

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I have 3 arms on my Techdas AF3:
- Thales Simplicity which I use to track the DS Audio W2 - this is my “all out assault” combo, used, mostly, for classical music.
- Ortofon 9” with an SPU Synergy and SPU Mono - used mostly for oldies (50-60 Jazz and vocals) as well as mono-pressed records.
- SME V-12 - which, at the moment, is boxed and not in use.

I’m thinking of (re-)setting up the V-12 on my AF3, to have another “flavor” in my analog setup. My direction is a “fun”/“punchy” cartridge, aimed for my rock-pop/folk/prog section.

The budget is $1500-2000.
The first options that came to my mind are the “nude” EMTs - HSD006 or TSD75.

Love to hear your opinions/suggestions!

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
I'll send you a Sensitive Sound ART Dark to try for free (if your countries import rules aren't too stringent). It's a touch below your price range. Below 10g so should play nice with the SME...

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
I'll send you a Sensitive Sound ART Dark to try for free (if your countries import rules aren't too stringent). It's a touch below your price range. Below 10g so should play nice with the SME...
Hi!
Thanks for the (only :() reply! Extremely generous offer! But, I’d rather go for something more tradable, and I’m located on the other side of the globe...

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
London Decca

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Find an Shure V15 MkIII and get a JICO stylus. Super fun, great tracker, low tracking weight and will work great with the SME V-12. You'll be surprised how much you'll enjoy it.

Reactions: Robert Young

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
MM - cartridge man music maker - I heard one in a SME V on an Avid Acutus and it was very powerful sounding.

MC - I hear that the Benz range are good for the music you want. Try and as Karmeli, Syntax or Mike Levigne - they know just about everything out on the market

Solypsa

Jun 7, 2017
Seattle
www.solypsa.com
Hi!
Thanks for the (only :() reply! Extremely generous offer! But, I’d rather go for something more tradable, and I’m located on the other side of the globe...
Makes sense. Of course "tradable" is mostly valuable for carts you don't fall in love with!

Tone Audio reviewed one of the Sensitive Sound ART carts and pretty much described what you are asking for...of course I agree ;)

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
At under $2k, the Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC should be fun. As long as you can load it at 1K ohm (or higher in value). Low output moving iron - definitely different from the MC sound.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm really glad to see MM recommendations!

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Find an Shure V15 MkIII and get a JICO stylus. Super fun, great tracker, low tracking weight and will work great with the SME V-12. You'll be surprised how much you'll enjoy it.
Thanks! I’d rather purchase a new cartridge than start “digging” for vintage ones. Any in-production MM you can recommend?

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
MM - cartridge man music maker - I heard one in a SME V on an Avid Acutus and it was very powerful sounding.

MC - I hear that the Benz range are good for the music you want. Try and as Karmeli, Syntax or Mike Levigne - they know just about everything out on the market
Thanks!
Is Cartridge Man still in business?

Which Benz?

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Cartridge man is still going strong just do a google search.

As the Benz - the LP-S may be a bit more than 1500 - 2000 usd - I know a Good uk price if you pm me

I guess you ought to consider one of the Benz wood cartridges

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
I am told the sme is not too mm friendly - that said I’ve not owned one.
How about a London Decca apparently very exciting

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Cartridge man is still going strong just do a google search.

As the Benz - the LP-S may be a bit more than 1500 - 2000 usd - I know a Good uk price if you pm me

I guess you ought to consider one of the Benz wood cartridges
Thanks!

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
The JICO stylus makes the cart brand new. If you want an excellent remake of a classic MM, I'd recommend the Nagaoka MP-500. A good friend just replaced an $1500 MC for this $700 MM and he couldn't be happier. He has a Transrotor and SME 4 arm.

https://lptunes.com/collections/nag...s/nagaoka-mp-500-mp-500-mp500-phono-cartridge
Talked to a local dealer, and he mentioned that he prefers the MP-150 over the MP-500 for that kind of music (something related to the sound of the boron cantilever vs the aluminum one).
I've found the exact opposite.
About the London Decca?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Talked to a local dealer, and he mentioned that he prefers the MP-150 over the MP-500 for that kind of music (something related to the sound of the boron cantilever vs the aluminum one).

About the London Decca?
I can't comment on the London Decca. You asked for "fun" and a reasonable price. That screams MM to me.

Reactions: KeithR

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
Personally I love the idea of a replaceable stylus. I was thinking of a Garrott p77i as it is good vfm and all the reviews suggest a fun and solid cartridge - has replaceable stylus too. As to sme v’s I recall reading that they were designed in the early 80’s with a view to use mc’s. I am not qualified to comment save to say be careful to match compliance with the arm - as aforementioned I heard one with a Music Maker and it was really bold, rich, fun - visceral - not got the airy highs of an mc - but in the words of the song “it’s all about the bass - no treble!”

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing