Lampizator Valve / Tube Rolling Review Thread

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I don't know what your problem is. I asked a legitimate question and all you want to do is fight. Al's comment seemed to indicate you can't measure amperage just using the tube pins. He states that clearly unless I misunderstood. I have no idea what a wind up is but why would I be trying to set up you up? We are just having a discussion about it.

Don't bother responding. I will figure this out elsewhere.
Pm me I’ll explain its simple
And don’t listen to anyone who says you measure amps putting leads across the pins.
The leads go in series one lead to tube pin not inserted
The send lead hues into tube socket where the pin is not being used. I can’t send a pic for now.
if you have leads and alligator you can use the to connect or faster
But you really don’t need to know amps just dc voltage

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I haven't tried the Tak in the Pacific yet. It was my preferred rectifier in the Big 7 but this could be different. I will report back.
Buy a cheap SS recti it’s good to have it is great for burning in output tubes It also gives the best detailed bass period
Now upper freq not always good. But for background music or non crital is great as recti burn full playing or not

Reactions: christoph

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Buy a cheap SS recti it’s good to have it is great for burning in output tubes It also gives the best detailed bass period
Now upper freq not always good. But for background music or non crital is great as recti burn full playing or not

Oh, I have a box of 5U4Gs and other cheaper rectifiers. I also have CV378s, GZ34s, etc.

Is the 596 considered cheap? ;)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Pm me I’ll explain its simple
And don’t listen to anyone who says you measure amps putting leads across the pins.
The leads go in series one lead to tube pin not inserted
The send lead hues into tube socket where the pin is not being used. I can’t send a pic for now.
if you have leads and alligator you can use the to connect or faster
But you really don’t need to know amps just dc voltage

https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/guides/zsfgr82/revision/3

Good diagrams.

My explanation was not good. Measure the voltage (not the current) across the two filament pins i.e. in parallel, and if you get 4V for PX25, say, since V=IR, for a given filament resistance which is fixed and which you need not know, you must have the right current.

Agreed Al?

Knowing the filament resistance and voltage gives you the current i.e. I = V / R.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
On Aug 11 you said “I just did the same with an Osram PX25 and got 1.8A on average.” Doesn’t sound like it was a lot time since you made this measurement. You also told me it was “child’s play.” You even told me how to set up my DMM to measure amps. It wasn’t a formula applied to voltage.

Nope. I had forgotten this simple parallel / series connection thing.

But it is pretty simple I still maintain that. It is just Ohms law.

Hang me later, though, when you have it sussed. I am guilty.

So do you understand how to do it now? I will redo my measurements tomorrow.

To help a bit more with Al's agreement, if you get 4V and the spec of the tube is 2A, it follows that the filament resistance must be 2 Ohms.

The only thing you need to get clear is which are the two filament pins. B4 and UX4 bases are not the same.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Measuring voltage across the filament pins is pretty simple.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
dminches - I think you have AD1n to UX4. So obviously use the UX4 300B pin out diagram you posted for the filament pins to use i.e. the two thick ones as we discussed.

Everything should now be ultra clear and yes I do apologise.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
dminches - I think you have AD1n to UX4. So obviously use the UX4 300B pin out diagram you posted for the filament pins to use i.e. the two thick ones as we discussed.

Everything should now be ultra clear and yes I do apologise.

It is all good. Thanks.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
It’s not good guys , while it ended well it’s not safe if posters don’t know what to show. I also keep saying no amps needed and it’s just voltage you care about
Im
Going to upload a pic of how
But you need a few things
One being a socket saver adaptor
Then it gets opened to expose wires

Reactions: iain

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

Attachments

• 0265C955-419F-4BE0-8667-B13816099A7C.jpeg
    0265C955-419F-4BE0-8667-B13816099A7C.jpeg
    617.8 KB · Views: 14

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Great now remove the tiny pin holding it in place. Now you can spread the top from bottom. Find a wire that connects thick pin from bottom to top. cut the wire. Now Use both leads as before on amps. place one lead on the bottom wire and the second lead to the other side leading to the top cut wire. Now you have a series circuit to use to measure Amps.

Reactions: christoph

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Great now remove the tiny pin holding it in place. Now you can spread the top from bottom. Find a wire that connects thick pin from bottom to top. cut the wire. Now Use both leads as before on amps. place one lead on the bottom wire and the second lead to the other side leading to the top cut wire. Now you have a series circuit to use to measure Amps.

Al, if I measure the voltage across the 2 filament pins will I still get the clicking noise? Was the noise a result of how I set my meter for amperage?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing