LampizatOr Horizon - Tube Rolling Paradise

This overview from the emission labs site gives a helpful summary of the heater current draw and output of the various RGN valve types. Pv200/600 actually measures more like 4004.

View attachment 109020

Are you suggesting that the 200/600 would not be as well served with a 2004 adapter?

Are you suggesting that the 200/600 would not be as well served with a 2004 adapter?
Pv200/600 has much higher heater current draw than 2004 (@3.5amps iirc v 2amps) and therefore needs a much lower value resistor in the adapter (Ohm’s law) to receive the full 4 volts. The 2004 adapter would only see it receiving <2.5 volts and not energising properly.

After lots of testing, I have settled on 4X 1003s as the best of the back four. I also tested a few brands of isolation under the Horizon. To my ears and surprise, the Stillpoints Ultra 6 were the best. They cleaned up the bass, opened the soundstage and brought more openness and air. I am currently experimenting with 3 vs 4 of them but they are staying.

With this tube configuration and the Stillpoints, I am getting the best sound out of the Horizon I have yet heard. I am using all TP adapters and all grounded with Takasz silver wire to external grounding box.

Everything is singing. I can hardly leave the room....

got it, I know this song Back light Syndrome - Duende.....and with Valvo it is totaly different song, awesome....even with ordinar adapter,,,next step experiment with c3g and PT14 all with adpaters from Laszlo
You're in for the ride of your life once the remaining tubes, and the TP adaptors bed in

PS anyone getting Ultra 6s for Horizon, you need the bases as well to clear height. These things do amazing things to Horizon. Absolutely stunning difference.

Reactions: ctydwn
PS anyone getting Ultra 6s for Horizon, you need the bases as well to clear height. These things do amazing things to Horizon. Absolutely stunning difference.
I hope you managed to try HiFiStay AbsolutPoint during the testing phase ;)

Reactions: heihei
Not to derail the thread, but on the topic of footers, another nice option are the Swiss-made Sound|Kaos Vibra 68 footers... they are giving me some "wow" improvements, under my speakers and subs.

Next, I will experiment under my Pac/GG and DHT tube amps. First became aware of them while reading and researching 6Moons/Hifi Knights reviews of HiFiStay, Wellfloat, etc.

sound-Kaos-2.jpg

Reactions: christoph
I hope you managed to try HiFiStay AbsolutPoint during the testing phase ;)
I wanted to. They look amazing and do look as though they offer some of what the Ultra 6 offer. I tried center stage (version 1), Darkz, isoacoustics and the graphite ones that Lukasz sells with the Horizon. The Ultra 6 really and truly stood out. (I realize this test is not exhaustive and that there are many, many great footers. I also want to be clear that all of the ones I tried were good and did good things to the sound in their own ways. The Ultra 6 were better for me, though.) I am very content with what they are doing. The 4th does add a bit of openness (just a bit), so one could save and just go with 3 if need be. the Sound|Kaos Vibra 68 look real cool as well!

Last edited:
I found Stillpoints to rob the system of all ambient sound and for me the sense of "presence" was gone
I dont know about elsewhere in the system, as I haven’t tried,, but under the Horizon the Ultra 6 do the opposite of that. They have an excellent synergy with the Horizon.

Reactions: Steve Williams
I have an extra unused quad of P17cs with adapters if anyone is interested. PM me if you are.

I was late getting the new tubes recommended by the influencers. Better being late than never. What a startling and overwhelming revelation! My Horizon has become a new DAC thanks for a quartet of Telefunken c3gs, WF SRS551 (or SFR P17C lately) and Telefunken G2504 rectifier – HUGE improvement in transparency, soundstage, dynamic force and musicality. Breathtaking and exhilarating! I literally lost breath for a few seconds upon first hearing, though the tubes and adapters were not broken in. Used to run Horizon with Mullard ECC32, KT 170 and Takatuski 274B and loved the sound from those tubes. But I have not heard my Horizon until now (at least not in its fuller potential and glory). Good as the old tubes were, they cannot be mentioned in the same breath as the new ones. The TP adapters from Laszlo (@takacs75) are wonderful! Laszlo is exceptionally helpful and caring; he guarantees satisfaction of the TP adapters. The tubes and adapters are pricey, but for roughly the same cost, these tubes with the TP adapters easily surpass Taiko Switch + network card in SQ improvement scores. In hindsight, I wished I had moved faster (when the tube prices had not skyrocketed), spending my funds first on these tubes, which have breathed new life into the relatively new Horizon. Of the new tubes, the TFN c3gs have the greatest sound effect (testified by the influencers, see, e.g., posts ## 1248 and 1317). Some people assert that tubes color sound and prefer solid state sound which are purported to be neutral. My personal experience (from use of several R2R SS DACs in the past) is that such assertion is based on erroneous assumptions. SS colors sound too (but in a different way); absolute linearity is a dream because all electronic components color sound. Regardless, these new tubes do not color Horizon the way assumed by tube-haters: they do not make the sound warmer or more euphoric; on the contrary, they make Horizon sound more linear, transparent, dynamic and balanced in the sound spectrum. Hair on fire when I first heard such hugely improved transparency, soundstage and energetic projection.

Attachments

• AQMX4054.JPG
    AQMX4054.JPG
    655.6 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
I was late getting the new tubes recommended by the influencers. Better being late than never. What a startling and overwhelming revelation! My Horizon has become a new DAC thanks for a quartet of Telefunken c3gs, WF SRS553 (or SFR P17C lately) and Telefunken G2504 rectifier – HUGE improvement in transparency, soundstage and musicality. Breathtaking and exhilarating! I literally lost breath for a few seconds upon first hearing, though the tubes and adapters were not broken in. Used to run Horizon with Mullard ECC32, KT 170 and Takatuski 274B and loved the sound from those tubes. But I have not heard my Horizon until now (at least not in its fuller potential and glory). Good as the old tubes were, they cannot be mentioned in the same breath as the new ones. The TP adapters from Laszlo (@takacs75) are wonderful! Laszlo is exceptionally helpful and caring; he guarantees satisfaction of the TP adapters. The tubes and adapters are pricey, but for roughly the same cost, these tubes with the TP adapters easily surpass Taiko Switch + network card in SQ improvement scores. In hindsight, I wished I had moved faster (when the tube prices had not skyrocketed), spending my funds first on these tubes, which have breathed new life into the relatively new Horizon. Of the new tubes, the TFN c3gs have the greatest sound effect (testified by the influencers, see, e.g., posts ## #1248 and 1317). Some people assert that tubes color sound and prefer solid state sound which are purported to be neutral. My personal experience (from use of several R2R SS DACs in the past) is that such assertion is false based on erroneous assumptions. SS colors sound too (but in a different way); absolute linearity is a dream because all electronic components color sound. Regardless, these new tubes do not color Horizon the way assumed by tube-haters: they do not make the sound warmer or more euphoric; on the contrary, they make Horizon sound more linear, transparent and balanced in the sound spectrum. Hair on fire when I first heard such hugely improved transparency and soundstage.
Wait’ll you add Laszlo’s ground wire :)

Wait’ll you add Laszlo’s ground wire :)
Indeed. Adding. @takacs75 TP adapters and grounding cable are essential to the new tubes. No hesitation that I would recommend spending your monies first on the new tubes and the TP adapters ahead of Switch/Card or Router. Dollar for dollar they produce more improvement in SQ.

Reactions: takacs75
I was late getting the new tubes recommended by the influencers. Better being late than never. What a startling and overwhelming revelation! My Horizon has become a new DAC thanks for a quartet of Telefunken c3gs, WF SRS553 (or SFR P17C lately) and Telefunken G2504 rectifier – HUGE improvement in transparency, soundstage, dynamic force and musicality. Breathtaking and exhilarating! I literally lost breath for a few seconds upon first hearing, though the tubes and adapters were not broken in. Used to run Horizon with Mullard ECC32, KT 170 and Takatuski 274B and loved the sound from those tubes. But I have not heard my Horizon until now (at least not in its fuller potential and glory). Good as the old tubes were, they cannot be mentioned in the same breath as the new ones. The TP adapters from Laszlo (@takacs75) are wonderful! Laszlo is exceptionally helpful and caring; he guarantees satisfaction of the TP adapters. The tubes and adapters are pricey, but for roughly the same cost, these tubes with the TP adapters easily surpass Taiko Switch + network card in SQ improvement scores. In hindsight, I wished I had moved faster (when the tube prices had not skyrocketed), spending my funds first on these tubes, which have breathed new life into the relatively new Horizon. Of the new tubes, the TFN c3gs have the greatest sound effect (testified by the influencers, see, e.g., posts ## 1248 and 1317). Some people assert that tubes color sound and prefer solid state sound which are purported to be neutral. My personal experience (from use of several R2R SS DACs in the past) is that such assertion is false based on erroneous assumptions. SS colors sound too (but in a different way); absolute linearity is a dream because all electronic components color sound. Regardless, these new tubes do not color Horizon the way assumed by tube-haters: they do not make the sound warmer or more euphoric; on the contrary, they make Horizon sound more linear, transparent, dynamic and balanced in the sound spectrum. Hair on fire when I first heard such hugely improved transparency and soundstage.
You and I use the same tube set. Like you I’ve never heard the Horizon sound so good Use the SRS551 as it is far better IMO than the P17c

Reactions: takacs75
I third this testimony. I am also using the same set to great effect. For me the Stillpoints Ultra 6 and this tube set have been revolutionary. I am done with tube rolling for a while (phew)…. May get a back up set though :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing