Lampizator DAC on all the time?

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Lampizator DAC owners:

Do you turn your DAC off when the listening session is over?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I turn it off always as I listen once in a while but a few good friends plug ss recti and some utter crap output tubes in and leave it on actually non stop (of course if they are out for few days they turn it off).

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015
Although I know of a guy who leaves his Kondo based system powered up 24/7 to minimise thermal shock, I wouldn't recommend leaving any valve gear left on unattended. Previous experiences with power tubes running away, glowing cherry red and blowing resistors with the (stock!) fuses not triggering have made me wary. Besides, decent tubes are expensive so you don't want to burn away their lives without good reason.

Reactions: marslo

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Lampizator DAC owners:

Do you turn your DAC off when the listening session is over?

I turn all my tube amps off when I leave the house for longer than an hour.

When the listening session is over for the day, I also power down my Lampi DACs.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
I power down, but leave standby power on
I do the same here with the Pacific (that has a remote control)

newbiecapri

Dec 20, 2019
I run my gears 5 hours everyday 6 days a week... I only turn it on once and turn it off once.. knock on wood, no issues..
there are times I turn it on and off 2-3x especially when swapping speaker cables, XLR, etc.. again, no issues..

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I've been leaving my DAC on 24/7 but turning off my amp and preamp each day. Looking at the replacement costs for new tubes I may try a new approach.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I don’t Leave the dac on during the week. But weekends it stays on glowing but has cheap tubes and ss recti. I do find this makes it sound better then off and on to play while in 30 mins or so it’s very good. my amps are always on standby and need a good hour when turned on to play. the servers and preamp amps are always on including the phono preamps.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Thanks for the replies. I've been leaving my DAC on 24/7 but turning off my amp and preamp each day. Looking at the replacement costs for new tubes I may try a new approach.
Mine has been on for four years lol. Still going strong.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Leif,
You still on your original tubes?

The Output tubes are only being gently petted in Lampi DACs so therefore will last forever.
But the Rectifiers are being driven full throttle, though.
An SS (or any very cheap tube) recti does the warm up trick for me.
I wouldn't roast a precious Taka (for example) just to warm up the DAC :p

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The Output tubes are only being gently petted in Lampi DACs so therefore will last forever.
But the Rectifiers are being driven full throttle, though. (...)

Interesting. If the output tubes are only gently petted where goes the rectifier current? Do you have black holes inside the Lampi? ;)

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I leave always on my ss gear - Aurender , TEAD phono stage and the bass sections of Duo Mezzo’s.
I switch on the tube components only for listenning ie my Ayon integrated and Pacific DAC, usually for 2-3 hours daily. Audio Aero is on standby mode.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Reactions: christoph

fbs

Apr 22, 2019
Bavaria
I power down the TRP after the daily listening session as well as my further tube gear. NOS tubes are to rare to get and of course expansive.

Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing