Lampizator Big7 MK2 Upgrade

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
USB ground loop issue solved. I used the Uptone Audio ISO Regen placed right at the input to the DAC, powered with a 9V PS (Teddy Pardo) that I had on hand. No more hum via USB:). In fact, I also use the B7 as my main preamp and integrate my 5ch HT fronts via analog input on the B7. Setting the VC to approximate unity gain (depends on tube type and whether SE or bal), and without signal playing, it is totally quiet from my listening position. Pretty impressive performance IMO!

Anyway, sounding spectacular and now for some continued tube rolling fun. I have posted some impressions/pics in the tube rolling thread as well.

My only small critique at this point is that I would like to have capability for discrete remote input selection. It’s not that big of a deal to scroll up/down but seems it should be easy to add this. I have a somewhat antiquated universal learning remote, but I’m told at this point there’s no way to do it.
Congrats and enjoy your Big7 :cool:

Soundcatcher

Jan 29, 2022
Hi everyone, another big 7mkll owner here. I've always come here for news about lampizator. Had the 4bthe big 6 and the 7 now. I don't think I'll ever get out of the lampizator boat. Right now using it with LTA Z40+ Integrated Amp and dynaudio contour 20. Very happy with my system. I'm switching between a KR RK 5u4g and a Psavene acme 274b. My ears tell me both are very good. The RK has a little more tube flavor while the acme has more frequency extremes and bass. I want to try the KR 242 as soon as I can get it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cpcat and christoph

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
The RK 5u4g is a favorite Recti for me. The Tak 274b is another one to try, I prefer it slightly over the RK 5u4g. I have not tried the Psvane acme 274b.

I too am waiting on trying either RK 242 or RK PX25 or both. Neither are available right now from Lampi last I checked. I am using WE300b reissue currently which are really nice so I guess I can be patient.;)

Reactions: Soundcatcher

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
USB ground loop issue solved. I used the Uptone Audio ISO Regen placed right at the input to the DAC, powered with a 9V PS (Teddy Pardo) that I had on hand. No more hum via USB:). In fact, I also use the B7 as my main preamp and integrate my 5ch HT fronts via analog input on the B7. Setting the VC to approximate unity gain (depends on tube type and whether SE or bal), and without signal playing, it is totally quiet from my listening position. Pretty impressive performance IMO!

Anyway, sounding spectacular and now for some continued tube rolling fun. I have posted some impressions/pics in the tube rolling thread as well.

My only small critique at this point is that I would like to have capability for discrete remote input selection. It’s not that big of a deal to scroll up/down but seems it should be easy to add this. I have a somewhat antiquated universal learning remote, but I’m told at this point there’s no way to do it.
Glad to hear you were able to remedy the hum, but if possible do try to give a good long listen with and without the Regen. I personally do not like it's effect on our DACs over time. Just my opinion.

cpcat

Jun 20, 2016
South Carolina
Glad to hear you were able to remedy the hum, but if possible do try to give a good long listen with and without the Regen. I personally do not like it's effect on our DACs over time. Just my opinion.
That was awhile back. I am no longer using. I am now using a Fitlet mini PC as my player and attached via Ethernet to the Desktop PC which now acts as server. Works great and I no longer have USB ground loop issues either —and thus no need for the Regen. Thanks!

Any comment on RK 242/RK PX25 tube availability?

Reactions: Soundcatcher

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
I believe we *may* have stock on the PX25s. I do not anticipate having stock on the RK 242s in the near future.

Soundcatcher

Jan 29, 2022
Just received a brand new pair of KR RK 242 from Franciszek. Fred and Francis were very helpful, I can't believe they're here and wasn't that long of wait. So far its matching pretty good with the LTA Z40+ Integrated Amp and Dynaudio contour 20. This integrated has gain adjustment for 15 and -30db. I'm enjoying sound characteristics very much. I think an all tube system will benefit from the energetic presentation of the 242s.

Attachments

• 20220224_160940.jpg
    20220224_160940.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: cpcat

Bushikai

Feb 12, 2014
I have a renewed interest in my DAC because I am using HQ Player's new EC modulators and they sound great. I built a new PC to run HQ Player so it can upsample to DSD256 without any issues.

This MK2 upgrade seems to be a good one.
I have a renewed interest in my DAC because I am using HQ Player's new EC modulators and they sound great. I built a new PC to run HQ Player so it can upsample to DSD256 without any issues.

This MK2 upgrade seems to be a good one.
Hello, I read your post and I would appreciate your comments about upgrading a Big 7 (2015) MKII, Do you have to send it to the factory? What's the cost? is it worth it? Thank you very much.

Bushikai

Feb 12, 2014
Hello, I just bought 2015 Big 7, Can anyone tell me where can I found the owners manual?

Thank you.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Hello, I read your post and I would appreciate your comments about upgrading a Big 7 (2015) MKII, Do you have to send it to the factory? What's the cost? is it worth it? Thank you very much.

Yes, it has to go to the factory. I don't know what the cost is now. As far as it being worth it, I thought so but there are many other models now so you would have to compare the cost of upgrading the Big 7 to upgrading to a different model.

Bushikai

Feb 12, 2014
Yes, it has to go to the factory. I don't know what the cost is now. As far as it being worth it, I thought so but there are many other models now so you would have to compare the cost of upgrading the Big 7 to upgrading to a different model.
Thank you very much.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing