LampizatOr Baltic 3

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Delving deeper into the TFK ef804 back catalogue, these Hilumin (nickel composite) silver shielded tubes from Ulm look lovely. Will have a listen over the weekend.

View attachment 119629
So this is electrically equivalent to a 6SN7? Is it a dual triode and do you need two per side for balanced?

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
ef804 a pentode similar to c3g and e83 in all these respects.

Thanks. I wonder if the adapter has resistors to strap it to triode mode to work in the 6SN7 position.

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
I never saw any answers to this question? I have some very nice 6c8G's so "will they work" in the Baltic without seeing a fireworks show? My experience has always been that you can use a 6sl7 in a 6sn7 circuit without too much drama?!?
I've tried both National Union and Tungsol 6C8G - they have similar gain, maybe just a smidge more than the ECC32. No issues with them.

Reachout

Nov 21, 2023
Switzerland
Hello All,
I am new to the community of Baltic 3 afficionados.
By chance I discovered that the factory in PL was offering a refurbished Baltic 3 with an hdmi/I2s connector. I purchased the unit since my streamer - Mano Ultra Mk III with Farrad 3 psu - does not implement USB and does I2S.
However, I turn to you to inquire about the tube complement delivered with the Baltic 3. I am not very familiar with vacuum tubes for which reason I seek to learn whether, in the eyes and ears of more experienced tube rollers, the complement in question is ‚quality’ stuff and/or how it can be bettered.
Thanks in advance,

Linlai E6SN7h
Philips JAN 5R4GA rectifier
Audioplated 12Au7/ECC82

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
Welcome.
Hello All,
By chance I discovered that the factory in PL was offering a refurbished Baltic 3 with an hdmi/I2s connector. I purchased the unit since my streamer - Mano Ultra Mk III with Farrad 3 psu - does not implement USB and does I2S.
However, I turn to you to inquire about the tube complement delivered with the Baltic 3. I am not very familiar with vacuum tubes for which reason I seek to learn whether, in the eyes and ears of more experienced tube rollers, the complement in question is ‚quality’ stuff and/or how it can be bettered.
Thanks in advance,

Linlai E6SN7h
Audioplated 12Au7/ECC82
Welcome. The short version is that this is a great DAC and tube rolling is mostly a matter of personal taste and system compatibility. You might want to use the factory tubes to break in the DAC and get used to it's stock sound. While doing that, read through the older posts before plunging down the tube rabbit hole :)

Reactions: christoph

Reachout

Nov 21, 2023
Switzerland
Mourip!
Thanks for yours.
Of course, how else? My question about the tube complement is, so to say, theoretical: given the potential (of the DAC) is this tube complement a good choice?. (I find that the audio quality exceeds that of the Holo May presently consigned to a corner.)

VoicesInMyHead

Apr 7, 2018
Sweden
Hello All,
Thanks in advance,

Linlai E6SN7h
Audioplated 12Au7/ECC82

Congrats to your B3! :)

Nobody ever wants to settle with provided tubes, whatever they are.... it's always more of a starting point.

I think the last year has been an experimentation with more adapters and converters than ever expanding the search for new tubes. some great discoveries has been made and I personally think we have seen some old favorite tubes being surpassed. some tubes mentioned in various Lampi threads here (Horizon for example) can also be used in Baltic, so keep an eye open in all Lampi threads.

My personal current favorites is ecc40 in the back row, c3g or e83f in the middle and a mesh az1 rectifier. now this is my current setup, but that is always subject to change. and yes, all of these require adapters. xulingmrs on ebay is our friend! unless you want to go premium, then (again) have a look in the Horizon tube threads and check in with @takacs75.

Anyway, B3 is a great fun DAC to own! Good choice!

Reactions: mourip and takacs75

roadCingKlassik

Jan 4, 2020
a little assistance please . . . I might have missed it.
Are there any comments/experiments with the 5Y3 recti with the current Baltic 3/4?
My drug dealer has 5Y3-GTs and they are "affordable" . . . perhaps for a reason. Or are they just not readily available worldwide

• Haha
Reactions: Gjo

Miki70

Aug 17, 2018
Mérida, Yucatán. México
1702321011477.jpeg

For those who don’t need 5V power on their DAC ( Baltic ),…should also GROUND be taped ?

Should usb cable be taped on both ends independently of 5V and Ground ?

Thank you

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
Are there any comments/experiments with the 5Y3 recti with the current Baltic 3/4?
My drug dealer has 5Y3-GTs and they are "affordable" . . . perhaps for a reason. Or are they just not readily available worldwide
I’m not familiar with the Baltic specs as I’m using TRP but so far I’ve had great results with a WW2 era JAN RCA 5R4GY. It easily outperforms the Sophia Aqua 274B rectifier that came with my dac.

mourip

Feb 8, 2020
My own experience is that I have no way of knowing how a given tube will sound until it is in my own system and has a few hours on it. In many cases it is a difference in "flavor" and not really "better" or "worse".

I do use personal accounts to add tubes to my short list to try but I am skeptical of anyone who says that one tube is better than another without giving many details about the rest of their system and sonic preferences. I tend to gravitate to posters who seem to describe their experience in a way that reflects my own preferences. Our hobby seems more similar to cooking and "reviews" are very listener dependent...

If it is "affordable then buy it and let us know how you liked it in your system.

PS. My favorites so far are a VALVO AZ1 MESH PLATES BULB GLOBE 1930's and a Brimar KB/FE 5Z4GY (CV1863) but each for different reasons.

Reactions: Designsfx

Designsfx

Sep 26, 2023
Los Angeles
My own experience is that I have no way of knowing how a given tube will sound until it is in my own system and has a few hours on it. In many cases it is a difference in "flavor" and not really "better" or "worse".

I do use personal accounts to add tubes to my short list to try but I am skeptical of anyone who says that one tube is better than another without giving many details about the rest of their system and sonic preferences. I tend to gravitate to posters who seem to describe their experience in a way that reflects my own preferences. Our hobby seems more similar to cooking and "reviews" are very listener dependent...

If it is "affordable then buy it and let us know how you liked it in your system.

PS. My favorites so far are a VALVO AZ1 MESH PLATES BULB GLOBE 1930's and a Brimar KB/FE 5Z4GY (CV1863) but each for different reasons.
Great on the 30’s Valvo globe! I love Globe 80’s myself.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing