Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
Announcement:

We are very pleased to announce that the Horizon DAC will be 100% compatible with the new Taiko Audio XDMI protocol. We will support, without compromise, the full format and all sample rates. Details will be announced soon, including on retrofitting Horizons DACs in the field.

These are extremely exciting times and we have no doubts that this collaboration will be without peers in the industry.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Fred and Rob. You guys and Lampizator are always on the cutting edge. I cannot wait to hear the new interface and hope you will have it ready for the Axpona show. Congratulations on this exciting development!

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
Congratulations to the owners of Lampizator. I hope Stavros Danos also gets on that train.

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy
I am on the verge of ordering a Horizon.

As my amp is a single ended design, I would use the Horizon in SE mode.

Would that mean that I would not exploit 100% of the sound quality the Horizon can deliver?

• Haha
Reactions: Malcng

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022

Would that mean that I would not exploit 100% of the sound quality the Horizon can deliver?

Sounds great either way and, with your amp, probably better in SE anyway.

Edit - I have the same amp, have tried both and SE will be better for your taste.

Last edited:

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Reactions: simorag

John T

Feb 15, 2022

Simone, SE is fine. I run Balanced, others do too, but I seriously doubt you will be disappointed running SE. I would bet more run SE than Balanced...John

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017
Sounds great either way and, with your amp, probably better in SE anyway.

Edit - I have the same amp, have tried both and SE will be better for your taste.
Agreed. It’s all about synergy and what the best performance mode of your amp is. I have used it in both modes and there’s not much difference. The amp’s preferred mode is going to be the much larger factor.

simorag

Sep 14, 2017
Florence, Italy

I took the plunge and ordered the Horizon :)

I listened to it in few occasions, the most recent being at Taiko HQ a couple of weeks ago in combination with both the Extreme and the Olympus prototype. Never in my system though, as a home demo was not viable, so fingers crossed the upgrade over my dCS stack will be worth the investment :oops:

I will be getting the XDMI interface, as the Olympus would be my logical :rolleyes: next big step when my wallet will recover.

Exciting times!

John T

Feb 15, 2022

I listened to it in few occasions, the most recent being at Taiko HQ a couple of weeks ago in combination with both the Extreme and the Olympus prototype. Never in my system though, as a home demo was not viable, so fingers crossed the upgrade over my dCS stack will be worth the investment :oops:

I will be getting the XDMI interface, as the Olympus would be my logical :rolleyes: next big step when my wallet will recover.

Exciting times!
felice per te Simone!! Molto eccitante!! John

• Love

seatrope

Mar 9, 2017

Exciting times!
So excited for you!! This is going to be a paradigm shift esp with XDMI.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Exciting times!
Congrats on the purchase of the Horizon :cool:

Your Rossini Apex stack should be rather easy to sell and so you can at least ease the financial pain quite considerably ;)

Ackcheng

Dec 26, 2011
digitalroomcorrection.hk
Hi guys. I am using DSP crossover and an AD converter card from Merging Technologies to convert my LP analog to digital for processing. For my digital side, I am using Taiko Extreme and in the past, I use the digital output of Extreme to connect to my dsp crossover but it isn’t possible anyway and has to go through a DAC. I am thinking of Horizon. My question is that the AD converter has an input impedance of 10Kohms and I am worried that it is too low for Horizon. Any comment?

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Re: XDMI upgrade of horizon/poseidon.
Latest pricing info from Lampizator website (this is happening!)…
IMG_0744.jpeg

Last edited:

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
Hi guys. I am using DSP crossover and an AD converter card from Merging Technologies to convert my LP analog to digital for processing. For my digital side, I am using Taiko Extreme and in the past, I use the digital output of Extreme to connect to my dsp crossover but it isn’t possible anyway and has to go through a DAC. I am thinking of Horizon. My question is that the AD converter has an input impedance of 10Kohms and I am worried that it is too low for Horizon. Any comment?
Generally tube preamps and DACs etc. have rather high output impedances compared to their solid state counterparts. A tube preamp may have 3-5 kohms whereas most solid state preamps have 20 ohms or so. There are of course rare exceptions to this rule. I recently got a Conrad Johnson GAT S2 tube preamp that has around 600 ohms output impedance because it has a solid state output driver section. ARC preamps are happiest into ARC tube amps that have input impedances of 100-200 kohms

I think frequency response will likely suffer if you hook up your tube DAC to a 10 kHz impedance. If you look at Stereophile reviews over the past few decades, you’ll see innumerable reviews where John Atkinson (the editor) tested tube preamps into 600 ohm output loads (professional audio equipment is always guaranteed to work into 600 ohms as this is a default standard in studios).

I’ve digitized countless LPs like you, but it’s a waste of money ( in my view!) to use a really expensive DAC or a expensive server for this purpose. Analog vinyl is incredibly noisy and invariably you need a lot of post processing to get rid of the pops, clicks, rumble, and speed variability like wow and flutter.

Reactions: acousticsguru

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing