Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Yes but they will need several hundred hrs burn in to fully open up ?
We might not even like them. Lukasz favorite is the KR KT88 and that is what he is shipping with my Horizon.

Reactions: Rgt911 and amadeus

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Yes. Otherwise why have one
Maybe there are some pre-amp/amp combinations that would perform better with the Lampi vol control bypassed? Or is it the general experience that using a good dac vol control (like Lampi's) dialed into the pre's gain will usually be advantageous?

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Ones on eBay are used. Mine are NIB
If the 6900's are going to last as long as purported, maybe used is not a bad way to go. Even from a reputable dealer, how does one even know if a "NIB" has never been used?

Steve Williams

If the 6900's are going to last as long as purported, maybe used is not a bad way to go. Even from a reputable dealer, how does one even know if a "NIB" has never been used?
good point..The last set I purchased measured higher than most and the boxes looked as if they had never been opened. So I have 3 1/2 sets of the 6900 and if they prove to be a winner in my situation I feel I have more than enough to carry me through my life time. If they don't prove to be a winner I will likely sell some or all of them

Reactions: Bobofei86

Steve Williams

Maybe there are some pre-amp/amp combinations that would perform better with the Lampi vol control bypassed? Or is it the general experience that using a good dac vol control (like Lampi's) dialed into the pre's gain will usually be advantageous?
I use the VC on my Lampi to dial in the tubes I use. My VC typically sits somewhere between -12Db to -16 Db I rarely change the Lampi volume control from these levels

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I use the VC on my Lampi to dial in the tubes I use. My VC typically sits somewhere between -12Db to -16 Db I rarely change the Lampi volume control from these levels
After a year of running my Pacific with my Canary Audio C1800 Pre, I decided to try running the Pacific directly to my Amps. I was amazed at the results. I found the noise floor to go down and the clarity of my music to be slightly better. As a result, I am pretty sure I am going to sell my Pre and just go with the Horizon. This will be one of the items I talk to Lukasz about.

Steve Williams

What better way to help with our decisions than to have Master Yoda present. Ron and Tinka will be present and I have asked Ron to bring his camera, lights and mics etc and get an interview with Lukasz and Fred as well as some of the attendees’ questions with Lukasz’ replies.

I keep saying I hate tube rolling. I have tested several different tubes in my Pacific and the ones I favor are KR 242, ShuGuang gz480 I’m sure I have time to test others but honestly it’s time for me to enjoy the music

Having said that i will be interested in what all of the attendees feel is the best combination

i will have all the tubes of Lukas preference as in post 44 of this thread plus some very special others that I posted above I am betting that Lukasz might bring some of his special stash. So I’m hoping that every one who is present will give their preferences and why.

Reactions: Rgt911 and wisnon

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Even from a reputable dealer, how does one even know if a "NIB" has never been used?

Good question. During the second war time, as tubes for civilian purposes were very scarce in Great Britain, British army engineers developed a test that could be done to tubes and could measure tube use based on the evaporation of the cathode electron emitter - the main reason for the limited tube life. The telephone repeaters had thousands of tubes and they could only afford to replace prevalently those who were approaching end of life. Transconductance, as used by many testers for tube failure, is a poor indicator of tube life.

Studying such technique is part of my long list of never carried interesting projects. It is why I keep some boxes of well used power tubes in storage ... For those having some free time to study it , the technique was based on carrying measurements with different filament currents that changed the cathode temperature.

dminches

Oct 22, 2011

They don't know. "NOS" is a great marketing tool that is rarely, if ever, held up with facts. In the end I don't think it matters. Other than power tubes which can be stressed depending how they are used, most tubes aren't and will last for thousands of hours. I have had mainly tube equipment for the past 10 years and I have had so few tubes fail in that time period. It just isn't worth worrying about. I have a couple tube testers which provide a decent assessment of the tube (only twice have I asked to return "bad" tubes) but in the end if it works and sounds good then I am satisfied.

iain

Jul 23, 2018
Although I have 3 "measure as/better than NOS" UX112As blow in only a few weeks of use. So have given up on them.

Unless I just picked the wrong supplier?

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Although I have 3 "measure as/better than NOS" UX112As blow in only a few weeks of use. So have given up on them.

Unless I just picked the wrong supplier?

Where did you get them and where are you located?

Jbs

Nov 25, 2016
Seattle
Try some 46 tubes if you have the chance, 200iq is on my short list , well long list now after Horizon purchase
Hi Rau, can you refer me too a decent 46 tube brand and a source? I am getting Pacific balanced looking for a matched quad. Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing