Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

If you got a virus on a drive, it would mirror to all drives. Or so I am told. Or corrupted files will mirror the corruption to all drives. That is what I am told about a mirror. But I am far from a tech expert like your son. For safety, I would keep a drive in a vault. Maybe once a year break it out and update it with the new files, then put it away again. Every 5 years mirror that safty drive with a freah drive. Thats me. I have ripped 8 or 9 friends CD collection. I would have no way to recover the files if my system were corrupted.
i'd have stuff i could not ever replace either. worth asking him about it.

i'd have stuff i could not ever replace either. worth asking him about it.
I kind of want a second tape deck for the same reason. I have a good $14k in tapes now. And not all can be had again. Of course archiving my tapes would be a $6K or so investment. And I would need an A80 or better. That's another $10k for a well working unit. And where do I put it.

Good morning

Can we get this thread back to the OP. We are discussing the new Horizon DAC

In the next day or do I will have some interesting new info to add.

this DAC is a never before seen design using pentodes and not DHT.

Im interested in what tube combinations people are ordering with their unit as well as the colors chosen.

I have a deposit on one but have not given much thought to bottles, as I do not know what options will be available. In any event, I will likely go with their recommendation to start. As far as color, Duracell seems interesting, but again, I will want to know the options.

Duracell is a fantastic combo and true to Lampi's roots (along with the nixie tubes). Obviously the Horizon will be an evolution in our overall aesthetic and build quality, but my personal feeling is that the black and copper combination pays a nice homage to our original flagship.

It's pretty easy to visualize from the thread pictures (just add copper top to the black cnc'ed chassis)... In fact this is probably the color combination I'll select for the global debut in February.

I'm interested in what tube combinations people are ordering with their unit as well as the colors chosen.
Didn't order the unit but I have a very good idea regarding pentodes and double triodes which should seriously kick some a..s in Horizon :)

Reactions: K3RMIT
If you read carefully what LF wrote, biggest ROI will come from double triodes (6sn7 and alike)…;)

If you read carefully what LF wrote, biggest ROI will come from double triodes (6sn7 and alike)…;)

I have my collection of Tung Sol 6SN7s (BGRP) and VT-99s ready to go...

Reactions: 2ndLiner and Golum
I have my collection of Tung Sol 6SN7s (BGRP) and VT-99s ready to go...
So what is ETA of the unit as I see you’re ready to deploy all goodies you have in the stock:cool:

So what is ETA of the unit as I see you’re ready to deploy all goodies you have in the stock:cool:

Not really sure. I expect it to be late February.

In time for Florida show ??
At this point in time it is our intention to have many preorder units built prior to the show, but begin shipping immediately after the world debut in Florida.

There may be an exiciting, pre Florida teaser event though... Stay tuned!

At this point in time it is our intention to have many preorder units built prior to the show, but begin shipping immediately after the world debut in Florida.

There may be an exiciting, pre Florida teaser event though... Stay tuned!
:cool::p

More of a general comment - curious as to why Lampi hasn't designed their own usb board/interface at this point? Not to say its easy and it does require time and resources, but you have total control (for the most part).

Several products like msb, shiit, holo come to mind who recently designed their own and have what appears to be of exceptional quality. Additionally being USB is such a major player as interfaces go in DAC's seems worthwhile. The AM boards in previous Lampi gens were ridiculous in so far as FW support etc.. They still work great but....

More of a general comment - curious as to why Lampi hasn't designed their own usb board/interface at this point? Not to say its easy and it does require time and resources, but you have total control (for the most part).

Several products like msb, shiit, holo come to mind who recently designed their own and have what appears to be of exceptional quality. Additionally being USB is such a major player as interfaces go in DAC's seems worthwhile. The AM boards in previous Lampi gens were ridiculous in so far as FW support etc.. They still work great but....

How do you know they are exceptional quality. did you compare or is this computer audiophile type forum reading?

"and have what appears to be of exceptional quality"

Don't read so much into it. It was just a general question. How do you know they are not good quality?

ML commented above on his positive experience with the advancements in the component he uses.

I would think if Lampi or anyone else designs their own interface, it would be of excellent quality. Pretty logical to surmise if you designed your own, with own FW and drivers it would not be a sub par shity implementation.

IIRC Lukasz has commented about the 2 years or more of design which is unique unto itself and not in any other DAC. Plus 2 other comments
1. I haven’t heard any Lampi owners wondering , worrying or complaining because
2 The trade in program Lampi has so generously offered
(The Pacific is an amazing piece of equipment and I’m betting they will resell those immediately)

For many of the reasons you stated was a reason I waited through several generations of Lampi. I’m not a tube roller but an all tube system. I jumped in at the Pacific and have never regretted it. My quest is the the best sound quality.

so to Gorum and Christoph and all you tube rollers what would be your first choice of all tubes for best SQ

It is also exciting to see the success of new innovators such as Lukasz and Emile at Taiko both of whom started as one man businesses grow to be a global phenom. Their contributions here as well serves all of the growing member users here at WBF . So kudos to Lukas because it always has become better

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing