Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

What do we have (4) Horizon owners here now ? No excitement?

I keep expecting others to post about getting theirs. It has been quiet, at least from the new owners.

I keep expecting others to post about getting theirs. It has been quiet, at least from the new owners.
A unit was delivered in NYC today, but I don't believe he's a poster here.

Reactions: ctydwn
Waiting for comments from Wil

all others are lurkers here and likely won’t post.
I’ve heard the queue now extends to the end of summer
OK, OK... I prefer to comment when I have a more thoroughly formed opinion. I've only had mine for a week, and I think it still has run-in time to go. I also haven't had a chance to check all the different triodes I have and will be getting. And... my amp (Dartzeel 108 had to go to Europe for repair and is stranded in Germany on it's return home) so that's a big piece of the puzzle that's missing. I'm using my Atmasphere Class D which is a really nice amp, but the Dart pre and amp together are something else.

But, with a weeks time to run in it has gone through significant improvement from the beginning where I think there was too much gain making it sound a bit tipped up and aggressive. It literally runs 6 db louder than my Nagra Tube amp. But it seems to be settling and smoothing. The sound is enveloping, dynamic and palpable -- what you hope for with great tube gear. It is so different from the Nagra (which I really love btw). The Nagra is the epitome of zero-fatigue "musical" audio. And though dynamic and "right" in every way, does not quite have the dramatic soundstage or palpability of the Horizon.

I feel like the Horizon, in my present set up without my numero-uno amp, is a bit of a beast that needs taming, and I think I'm finding steady success. More than anything it's breaking in. I'm also finding the gain is tamed some by using the Dart pre in combo with the Horizon vol control (instead of the bypass at 63). And once I get the adaptors, I'm looking forward to trying the Thompson CFS triodes. Right now I'm switching between the Shug red base and Meltz triodes. The Shug is a bit more incisive which can be ideal depending on the recording.

The Horizon is very sensitive to the tubes used!

This is really exciting. What I've heard so far has been impressive and I think the potential is through the roof!

Last edited:
A unit was delivered in NYC today, but I don't believe he's a poster here.
Could you possibly provide a clue on the status of the queue? Morse code? Numerical puzzle? Number of likes given to posts in a day? Definitely not a straight answer - too common. Something like the Da Vinci Code ;)

Reactions: ctydwn
Could you possibly provide a clue on the status of the queue? Morse code? Numerical puzzle? Number of likes given to posts in a day? Definitely not a straight answer - too common. Something like the Da Vinci Code ;)
Fred should start a WORDLE for names about to get their Horizon.

Your clue is when Fed Ex rings your doorbell
when you paid did choose the clue option at checkout ?

Last edited:
DHL

Reactions: Alrainbow
Your clue is when Fed Ex rings your doorbell
when you paid did choose the clue option at checkout ?
Unfortunately, I think your smart ass reply is close to the truth.
Meaningful updates are just an expected courtesy. So far there has been no consistency in the messaging.

Now.Now boys.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing