Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
Something I neglected to add in my previous post is that The Horizon and Extreme "work" very well together. When I mention familiar tracks that are providing more "musical information". These two components complement each other. Its an effortless flow of music...

Very true John and to an even higher degree now with the Taiko switch. A truly magical combination.

Edit - I settled on the TAK 274B Rectifier and love what it does in my setup. I did wonder whether Steve W was over egging it a little but now can only agree with what he has said. I like it so much that I decided to order a backup and, luckily, got the last one in stock and, perhaps unsurprisingly, the price is going up so I was quite fortunate with my timing.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
It's always interesting to me the synergy of the tubes to the system and to the listener's preference. The Tak 274B for all of those factors is a permanent part of my system.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Very true John and to an even higher degree now with the Taiko switch. A truly magical combination.

Edit - I settled on the TAK 274B Rectifier and love what it does in my setup. I did wonder whether Steve W was over egging it a little but now can only agree with what he has said. I like it so much that I decided to order a backup and, luckily, got the last one in stock and, perhaps unsurprisingly, the price is going up so I was quite fortunate with my timing.
I also Use the TAK 274B, hard to shift from it, at least in my system...

Reactions: Tuckia

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
I have to say that I am really impressed with Horizon and delighted to have it together with the Extreme which I am also very impressed by. The two together are the end of the road for me.

My main DAC is/was the T+A SDV 3100 HV which is a digital technological tour de force and a great digital hub. It is very similar to Horizon in that it has an analogue preamp stage with a single RCA and XLR balanced analogue input and it has been very interesting comparing them and figuring out how to use them both in my system. Initially, I ran the Horizon into the analogue input of the SDV where it clearly sounded best at max 63 on the volume. I preferred this since it seemed a little airier and more refined than Horizon direct to power amp. Over time, I came to realise that I preferred Horizon direct to the power amp. This may have been my ears adjusting to the different presentation or certain changes that I made or perhaps both. The Graphite cones and cups opened things up and made it a little more airy and refined, so too did introducing the Tak 274B giving the aspects that I preferred whilst utilising a preamp together with the greater clarity, energy and transparency of going direct to power amp.

Then I ran with both SDV and Horizon plugged into my power amp and just switched between them to compare - I did also try a separate preamp but preferred Horizon operating as the preamp. I also concluded that I preferred Horizon as a DAC/Pre to SDV as a DAC/Pre.

At this stage, I was wondering whether I really needed the SDV but, appreciating how good the digital section is, I then tried running it into the Horizon as a preamp and it sounded very good. So, currently, I run Extreme to Horizon via USB and to SDV via Ethernet Roon Ready mode and both sound great giving me two different options. I also run my CD transport into the SDV DAC utilising the more analogue type profile and on into the Horizon. This too sounds very nice and has given CD a shot in the arm. Whether this is just temporary or not, I don‘t know. I suspect that it may be but it’s nice to have anyway.

My conclusion so far is that, in my setup, the Horizon is a really good preamp. My final discovery phase is to determine whether I prefer Horizon as DAC/Pre or the SDV DAC into Horizon as Pre. Currently, I am really liking both and they are different enough to contemplate keeping both in the system.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I also use Horizon as a preamp. It is more than good enough, and bested several preamps I tried. I am sure in some systems, however, a properly matched preamp will synergize with amps in a certain way that the Horizon cannot do. I also appreciate your approach—continuing to experiment, discover and learn, always and always. Its important we also enjoy ourselves along the way!

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
I have been Preampless for the Pacific and Horizon. I just can't imagine the sound being any better with my system. That said, I succumbed to the "I wonder" mode and have since ordered an Aries Cerat Ageto Preamp. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I have been Preampless for the Pacific and Horizon. I just can't imagine the sound being any better with my system. That said, I succumbed to the "I wonder" mode and have since ordered an Aries Cerat Ageto Preamp. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Ups…things are getting very interesting with this order….looking fw for this

Reactions: Blake and christoph

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Love to hear about it

Reactions: christoph

Steve Williams

I also use Horizon as a preamp. It is more than good enough, and bested several preamps I tried. I am sure in some systems, however, a properly matched preamp will synergize with amps in a certain way that the Horizon cannot do. I also appreciate your approach—continuing to experiment, discover and learn, always and always. Its important we also enjoy ourselves along the way!
I totally agree What some people are doing is using both where they use their own preamp and back the volume down on the Horizon below 63, where the entire signal from Horizon is passed through to one’s preamp. I have tried this but prefer horizon at 63 and use my own pre which is matched to my amps

Malcng

Jul 6, 2022
It's always interesting to me the synergy of the tubes to the system and to the listener's preference.

It was a bit of a frustration for me because it’s shooting in the dark to a large extent and I wouldn’t even know where to start had it not been for the pointers that I took from the Horizon Tube Rolling Thread - so thanks to all contributors there. But then it becomes a blessing when you do get it right. I was using 4 KT77 which I preferred over the TS-KT170 and then, when I put in the TAK 274B, it really took everything up a level. Yesterday, out of curiosity, I put the TS-KT170 back in to find that they are actually a much better match with the TAK and I have found my perfect combination. The 2 Triodes are PSVane 6SN7 Grey Globes which I prefer over the TS 6SN7GTB, so it’s all the big chunky tubes and it certainly looks heavy laden. More to the point, it sounds better than I could have hoped for from my first hearing and decision to purchase. I guess Freddy Mercury was right when he celebrated Fat Bottled Girls.

Actually, I should say that when I first heard the Horizon, Greg at G-Point (UK Distributor) brought it round to my house and set it up. I normally don’t like this as I prefer to set items up and try them out on my own undisturbed, but it was extremely helpful in fact because he explained the different tubes used and the differences that they can make and then ran through some different combinations which was very informative and extremely interesting to hear. He left me a few tubes to try out and, in addition, was a really nice guy. I can definitely recommend him to anyone in the UK who is interested in Lampizator gear.

Last edited:

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Hi,
I’ve arrived at another great tube set for Horizon.

Rectifier - USAF 596 “Frankie”
In my system Frankie just sounds right. More 3 dimensional, quieter, blacker, good prat. Very musicsl.

Triodes - 6N1P these are the small tubes used in Pacific. You might have a pair sitting around. You will need adapters.
The 6N1P tubes are probably one reason I love Frankie. They supercharge Frankie and make him nimble and fast with good pray and weight. More 3 dimensional too. Sort of like the Frankenstein monster recharged with a bolt of lightening.

Pentodes - Bendix 6384
I was using the GM 170s. They sound very powerful and really are great tubes. But as one member told me they add more color and more sense of speed. Also more 3D.

Of course all system dependent. But many of you might have some of these tubes already and haven’t put them together for a trial run.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Thanks so much for this!
Are you saying the GM170s add more color or the new 6384?

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
The Bendix add a bit more color. The GM 170 sound bigger and louder with the volume the same. Not that the Bendix are lacking. They have plenty of drive too.

Steve Williams

The Bendix add a bit more color. The GM 170 sound bigger and louder with the volume the same. Not that the Bendix are lacking. They have plenty of drive too.
I use GM-70's in my amps. I would imagine a quad set for the Horizon must have cost a king's ransom

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Guys there is no GM170 its KT170

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
It was a bit of a frustration for me because it’s shooting in the dark to a large extent and I wouldn’t even know where to start had it not been for the pointers that I took from the Horizon Tube Rolling Thread - so thanks to all contributors there. But then it becomes a blessing when you do get it right. I was using 4 KT77 which I preferred over the TS-KT170 and then, when I put in the TAK 274B, it really took everything up a level. Yesterday, out of curiosity, I put the TS-KT170 back in to find that they are actually a much better match with the TAK and I have found my perfect combination. The 2 Triodes are PSVane 6SN7 Grey Globes which I prefer over the TS 6SN7GTB, so it’s all the big chunky tubes and it certainly looks heavy laden. More to the point, it sounds better than I could have hoped for from my first hearing and decision to purchase. I guess Freddy Mercury was right when he celebrated Fat Bottled Girls.

Actually, I should say that when I first heard the Horizon, Greg at G-Point (UK Distributor) brought it round to my house and set it up. I normally don’t like this as I prefer to set items up and try them out on my own undisturbed, but it was extremely helpful in fact because he explained the different tubes used and the differences that they can make and then ran through some different combinations which was very informative and extremely interesting to hear. He left me a few tubes to try out and, in addition, was a really nice guy. I can definitely recommend him to anyone in the UK who is interested in Lampizator gear.
Did you get the Tag 274B in the UK?

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I have some Bendix on the way. I also have KT170s. Which one did you end up liking more?

Steve Rowan

Feb 12, 2012
St. Peters, MO
Hi,
It depends on the group of tubes you use. Right now i don't have a Tak rectifier. From what I have read that pushes the KT 170s very well and i believe Steve Williams uses the Tungsol TS JAN CTL 6SN7 GT and i don’t have that tube either.
So I really can’t say.
But I will do a shoot out between these two groups eventually.
Frankie, 6N1P, Bendix 6384
Tak, TS JAN CTL 6SN7 GT, Kt 170s.
Right now I’d say the type of music you play and your taste will determine which is best.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing