Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

As an update things are filling up. There are now about 10 members coming on Sunday and so far a few on Saturday only because of the uncertainty still of Lukasz flight plans. Fred I am pretty certain will be here on the Friday evening

While very excited about the Horizon order, I must say I am a bit nervous that I might lose some of the amazing quickness, dynamics, attack and slam that I currently hear with my tubes in the Pacific. I would love to hear about some of the sound characteristics that will improve with the Horizon's stock tubes over the Pacific w respect to these qualities and any others.

Is it really as simple as the Horizon will improve upon the Pacific in every dimension? Are there no tradeoffs? I understand it will likely be up to the owner to find the tubes that prioritize the traits most preferred within their systems. Anyways thanks in advance for any further descriptions! Like I said before, I do have full faith but still curious. Maybe others are as well.

Last edited:
Very excited. Particularly compelled by Lukasz's remarks/descriptions throughout this thread and obvious confidence: "Anyway, the sonic superiority of the Horizon over its competitors will be so vast“
Whilst I am most sensible to your excitement over your new purchase, quite understandable , might you quantify how and by what means you have come to this quite specific and sweepingly bold conclusion ?

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. That was a quote from Lukasz a few posts prior to mine on this thread re: comparison to competitors (post #239). For me I trust Lukasz and Lampizator when they put their full weight behind a new product. Thus my order.

Last edited:
Reactions: christoph and MJG
While very excited about the Horizon order, I must say I am a bit nervous that I might lose some of the amazing quickness, dynamics, attack and slam that I currently hear with my tubes in the Pacific. I would love to hear about some of the sound characteristics that will improve with the Horizon's stock tubes over the Pacific w respect to these qualities and any others.

Is it really as simple as the Horizon will improve upon the Pacific in every dimension? Are there no tradeoffs? I understand it will likely be up to the owner to find the tubes that prioritize the traits most preferred within their systems. Anyways thanks in advance for any further descriptions! Like I said before, I do have full faith but still curious. Maybe others as well.
I was thinking the same tonight , my pacific is sounding excellent and thinking how much better can it get . But Lukasz comment he " almost fainted " gives me hope

Sorry if I wasn’t clear. That was a quote from Lukasz a few posts prior to mine on this thread re: comparison to competitors (post #239). For me I trust Lukasz and Lampizator when they put their full weight behind a new product. Thus my order.
Ahhh , I quite understand , Therefore I would transfer the very same question and address it to Lukasz ?

Reactions: ctydwn
In my personal opinion the Horizon's flexibility of valve/tube choice will provide extreme opportunity to trim the sonics to your own taste, possibly like no DAC has ever done before.

The flip side of that is determining the best valves/tubes to use will be a lot more complex. It's hard enough with two triodes and a rectifier.

Will it provide better sonics than a Pacific? It will unquestionably be different. It's basically pentode based and pentodes were developed after triodes and modern is better, right?

I am not so sure. In my twenties to thirties when I probably did my most learning about hi-fi, I always wondered why the older technologies seemed to sound the best. I am still not sure what the right answer to that question is, but the obvious answer would be they have had the longest period of time to be optimised.

If that was true, though, contemporary valves/tubes would sound the best. And it is quite clear that they don't, really, when compared to the better NOS types.

I'm personally not influenced by how great Lucasz thinks it sounds. I have heard so much variation in the sound quality of various Lampi pieces I know it can't be relied on.

What can be relied on is your flexibility to alter the sound to your taste in a manner not many rivals can match. Plus it's purely a crazy design that the most technically proficient and focused designers would probably want to flush down the toilet if they could get the fucking thing to go down there.

Whatever. Don't take me too seriously. Just making some points. Those who think it's for them I hope they find great pleasure from one. It is a fairly exclusive product.

:)

Reactions: ctydwn
As an update things are filling up. There are now about 10 members coming on Sunday and so far a few on Saturday only because of the uncertainty still of Lukasz flight plans. Fred I am pretty certain will be here on the Friday evening
Steve
I am planning to drive from Arizona to attend and thanks for opening up your home. I can come any day but would prefer fewer people so I can actually listen to the Horizon (and hopefully the Pacific). Therefore Saturday sounds like the best day for me. Given that I am functionally blind, my wife will be joining if that is ok.

Steve
I am planning to drive from Arizona to attend and thanks for opening up your home. I can come any day but would prefer fewer people so I can actually listen to the Horizon (and hopefully the Pacific). Therefore Saturday sounds like the best day for me. Given that I am functionally blind, my wife will be joining if that is ok.
Definitely. Please PM me for details

Reactions: Golum

Is it really as simple as the Horizon will improve upon the Pacific in every dimension? Are there no tradeoffs? I understand it will likely be up to the owner to find the tubes that prioritize the traits most preferred within their systems. Anyways thanks in advance for any further descriptions! Like I said before, I do have full faith but still curious. Maybe others are as well.
Hm...with Justin I agree on many tube topics but with this particular one I respectfully disagree that LF opinion on SQ is not (too) relevant, as he would not create what he creates and in my view his DACs are on the forefront of this game for years. Now Horizon wise, I did not hear it very obviously, but taking into account (which might be or may not be relevant) that beside Pacific I spent many days/weeks/months with Baltic 3 which shares at least output (main tubes) with Horizon. This DAC is very simply said PHENOMENAL! Could I live with it - oh yes. So based on this and reading what he did with Horizon I'm totally confident that you guys who made a step into "unknown" will be massively rewarded and happy with the decision you made. And slightly altered quote from Master Yoda: "Soon You will Feel the Force"! ;)

Last edited:
One of the ways he improves his line up is constant testing of new yes new ways in audio pathways inside. no one uses tubes as he does. so we all benefit from his constant research. perhaps Covid allowed and his staff to have more time due to time. How he uses the tubes and parts he uses for the audio path I can say no one does.

Hm...with Justin I agree on many topics in general ;)

you could simply have deleted the text between the statement and the wink

Ahhh , I quite understand , Therefore I would transfer the very same question and address it to Lukasz ?
Concerning the comparison to Pacific: I would say that the new tube section delivers more slamm, more PRAT, more legible soundscene, deeper stage, wider and higher boundaries of soundstage, better thread separation while the "togetherness" of musicians is also improved. Bass goes deeper and more bass nuances are there. The output impedance is much lower, making the amp interaction easier and bass better.
The digital section will add to it much higher resolution, extreme naturalness, human dimension to vocals, hair rising "you are there" factor. I dont wanna over-shoot here, but I would say the price difference perfectly reflects the superiority of the Horizon.

Well for all you guys who have contacted me to come meet Lukasz , Fred and hear the Horizon, Lukasz will be bringing a stash of his own tubes to find the perfect combination for my room and system

Well for all you guys who have contacted me to come meet Lukasz , Fred and hear the Horizon, Lukasz will be bringing a stash of his own tubes to find the perfect combination for my room and system
Very much looking to,, unfortunately only, read what the outcome will be...

Reactions: Golum

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing