Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
What is your stock complement and what do you have on hand to try?
Aside from the stock tubes that came with the unit (JJ KT88, PS globes, Emission 274b), here is what I have on hand to play with. Probably best not to hear from me for a few months.....'

Recti
1. Kron 5u4G RK
2. Amperex SAR4/GZ34 Dutch
3. Philips CZ34 Dutch
4. Telefunken GZ34
5. Amperex 5u4G USA
6. Takatsuki 274B

Pentodes
1. Siemens EL-34.
2. Mullard EL-34
3. Tungsol KT-170

Outputs
Octal
1. Shuguang Treasure CV-181-z/ 6SN7
2. Meltz 1578/6SN7 5 hole 1963
3. Meltz 1578/6SN7 no hole 1956
4. Sylvania 6F8G/VT99 (Woo adapter)-
5. RCA JAN 5692 Red Base
6. Sylvania 6SN7WGTA
7. Sylvania VT 231 6SN7 GT
8. Sylvania 6SN7W/B65 metal base

Noval
9. Amperex 7119
10. Tung-Sol 5687 black plate
11. Tung-Sol 5687 bronze plate
12. Tung-Sol 5687WA D getter
13. 6N1P Voshod 1976

Last edited:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Reactions: Steve Williams

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
5 days in here with the Horizon. As was said by someone previously, I wasn't sure what to make of the sound after just a few hours of up time. So much more music was in my room but I could not make sense of it. Since day 2, I now understand how everything the Pacific is has been improved upon - no matter the track. Intoxicating, I cannot wait to get in my chair, nor do I want to leave it. So many well written accolades that have been posted already so I'll leave it to the eloquent, but definitely fear not if upgrading from the Pacific!

With advice from a few folks, I was smitten by the first set of tubes I received with the Pacific and I never rolled or looked back.

Tonight, I am ready for my first tube rolling session (just so happens to align with a home empty of other humans ;) ). So excited about that and no idea what to expect. Checking the manual tube charts so I don't f this up lol. Just a few to try tonight not including some of the favorites mentioned by others to date. Incredibly lucky to have this opportunity. Looking forward to many hours tonight, tomorrow and in the months to come.

Thank you to the Lampizator team for all the sweat and, I imagine, tears that went into creating this sonic masterpiece.
But make sure you "don't drink and roll" :p

Enjoy the ride and the very interesting part of finding your dream complement of tubes for the Horizon, it is VERY much worth the effort :eek:

When you are done rolling, you can safely enjoy some beverages to celebrate :cool:

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Aside from the stock tubes that came with the unit (JJ KT88, PS globes, Emission 274b), here is what I have on hand to play with. Probably best not to hear from me for a few months.....'

Recti
1. Kron 5u4G RK
3. Philips CZ34 Dutch
4. Telefunken GZ34
5. Amperex 5u4G USA
6. Takatsuki 274B

Pentodes
1. Siemens EL-34.
2. Mullard EL-34
3. Tungsol KT-170

Outputs
Octal
5. RCA JAN 5692 Red Base
6. Sylvania 6SN7WGTA

Noval
9. Amperex 7119
13. 6N1P Voshod 1976
Holy crap :eek:
That reads like the Horizon paradise :cool:

Can you please add which ones are all metal base?

I see a LOT of happy rolling in your near and not too far future :p

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
But make sure you "don't drink and roll" :p

Enjoy the ride and the very interesting part of finding your dream complement of tubes for the Horizon, it is VERY much worth the effort :eek:

When you are done rolling, you can safely enjoy some beverages to celebrate :cool:
No, but he can "roll, then smoke, then roll", I think. Might want to corroborate judgments later without influence, I suppose..... I know if my system doesn't satisfy in both conditions, then the change isn't staying!

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
I've had my Horizon installed and breaking in for a few days. One word of advice, don't try to perform critical analysis of the sound for at least the first three days. It wasn't until at least that then that its sonic signature has begun to come into focus. My impressions are as compared with my Pacific which I've enjoyed for several years.

First, the bass has come (started to?) into focus. By comparison, the Pacific was rich, yes, but softly blurred compared with the rest of the range. Solo piano performances have a more consistent voice top to bottom now.

Next, the environment of the performance is more natural. That may seem vague, but it's a lack of colorations or different presentations of the environment's acoustics throughout the frequency range. I find I stop evaluating the sound and, instead, enjoying the performance.

I'm reminded of a quote from Jack Lemmon regarding when he was acting in Billy Wilder's ""The Apartment". Wilder kept asking him to "do less". Lemmon replied, "If I do any less, I won't be acting at all" To which Wilder said "Oh please yes!". With the Horizon, we're dealing with that sort of doing less.

Last edited:

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
I've had my Horizon installed and breaking in for a few days. One word of advice, don't try to perform critical analysis of the sound for at least the first three days. It wasn't until at least that then that its sonic signature has begun to come into focus. My impressions are as compared with my Pacific which I've enjoyed for several years.

First, the bass has come (started to?) into focus. By comparison, the Pacific was rich, yes, but softly blurred compared with the rest of the range. Solo piano performances have a more consistent voice top to bottom now.

Next, the environment of the performance is more natural. That may seem vague, but it's a lack of colorations or different presentations of the environment's acoustics throughout the frequency range. I find I stop evaluating the sound and, instead, enjoying the performance.

I'm reminded of a quote from Jack Lemmon regarding when he was acting in Billy Wilder's ""The Apartment". Wilder kept asking him to "do less". Lemmon replied, "If I do any less, I won't be acting at all" To which Wilder said "Oh please yes!". With the Horizon, we're dealing with that sort of doing less.
It's great to read another report on the move from Pacific to Horizon while still awaiting one's own. I am curious as a basis for understanding your comments, what tube complement were you using in your Pacific?

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Continuing to immerse myself in the Horizon's magic. On topic of resonance...
I had used two thick HRS plates on my Pacific to damp resonance to a decent effect. The chassis remained stiff and the robust RK KR 242s did not vibrate, at least I could not tell by touch.

Was curious how I may be able to damp the Horizon should there be resonance on the recessed top plate.

I noticed last night when I gently touch the top plate during decent volume playback (~85db), there is very noticeable vibration (airborne resonance?) on the plate as well as the tubes themselves (the chassis is dead quiet, as are the other components on my rack). Spent some hours last night and today experimenting with various size HRS plates.

I have found the attached combo reduces the resonances, particularly on the front part of the plate - one small and one larger HRS plate on either side - 11.4 lbs total. (A tweak after the 1st picture: The larger one is now fully loaded onto the smaller and does not rest on chassis at all. This shown in pic 2.) This arrangement also reduces the vibration in the pentode and dual triode tubes quite noticeably. The rectifier seems less sensitive and barely seems to vibrate to the touch in either scenario.

None of the holes in the top plate around the tubes are covered.

I have not ordered tube dampers to date until I start settling on a tube set.

As for SQ, I am still experimenting but I sense cleaner transients, when called for, and greater dynamics with the plates. Any other observations on this topic? Should the vibrations in the top plate effect SQ in this case? I am imagining/hoping the airborne resonances should be a non issue as the plate likely is totally isolated from the tubes, but based on the damping, this does not appear to be the case… and less tube vibration likely a good thing. It would be a shame to cover the top plate, even partially... and I cannot move my rack/Horizon elsewhere. That said, looks (and sounds) good to me! Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• plates on horizon.jpg
    plates on horizon.jpg
    560.1 KB · Views: 45
  • plates on horizon 2.jpg
    plates on horizon 2.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I had used two thick HRS plates on my Pacific to damp resonance to a decent effect. The chassis remained stiff and the robust RK KR 242s did not vibrate, at least I could not tell by touch.

Was curious how I may be able to damp the Horizon should there be resonance on the recessed top plate.

I noticed last night when I gently touch the top plate during decent volume playback (~85db), there is very noticeable vibration (airborne resonance?) on the plate as well as the tubes themselves (the chassis is dead quiet, as are the other components on my rack). Spent some hours last night and today experimenting with various size HRS plates.

I have found the attached combo reduces the resonances, particularly on the front part of the plate - one small and one larger HRS plate on either side. (A tweak after the picture: The larger one is now fully loaded onto the smaller and does not rest on chassis at all.) This arrangement also reduces the vibration in the pentode and dual triode tubes notably. The rectifier seems less sensitive and barely seems to vibrate to the touch.

As for SQ, I am still experimenting but I sense cleaner transients, when called for, and greater dynamics with the plates. Any other observations on this topic? Should the vibrations in the top plate effect SQ in this case? I am imagining/hoping the airborne resonances should be a non issue as the plate likely is totally isolated from the tubes....Although less tube vibration likely a good thing. It would be a shame to cover the top plate, even partially... and I cannot move my rack/Horizon elsewhere. That said, looks pretty good to me! Thanks everyone.
One thing you might want to do is
Turn off amps play music use stehoscope or your ear close to tubes. You will hear music. Tubes that sound louder using this method indicate plate vibrations . Not from acoutics coupling but current flow.
If you dampen the glass with a soft cloth taped in place on the outside
The sound will change. My findibgs in doing this is a better focus of stage at the expense harmonical holafraphic image.
Its worth a try to abserve . Now i cant say on the H dac as i font owm one but past yes

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
It's great to read another report on the move from Pacific to Horizon while still awaiting one's own. I am curious as a basis for understanding your comments, what tube complement were you using in your Pacific?
See my post # 2573 on page 129.

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011

I have found the attached combo reduces the resonances, particularly on the front part of the plate - one small and one larger HRS plate on either side. (A tweak after the picture: The larger one is now fully loaded onto the smaller and does not rest on chassis at all.) This arrangement also reduces the vibration in the pentode and dual triode tubes quite notably. The rectifier seems less sensitive and barely seems to vibrate to the touch.

As for SQ, I am still experimenting but I sense cleaner transients, when called for, and greater dynamics with the plates. Any other observations on this topic? Should the vibrations in the top plate effect SQ in this case? I am imagining/hoping the airborne resonances should be a non issue as the plate likely is totally isolated from the tubes....Although less tube vibration likely a good thing. It would be a shame to cover the top plate, even partially... and I cannot move my rack/Horizon elsewhere. That said, looks (and sounds) good to me! Thanks everyone.
I have a collection of Herbies Tube Dampers that I've accumulated over the years. I'm using one on the shoulder of the 274 rectifier. For each of the four KT88's I have one at the center of the main vertical cylinder and a smaller one on the top dome nestled at the curvature to the larger section. Each 6SN7 globe has one at the equator.

I'm still fine tuning the sound (more on that later) and am running a CD track overnights to speed up the settling-in process. So far,. every day is a more refined sound. Once things stabilize, I'll compare the sound damped to that without the Herbies.

FYI, the CD I'm using for burn-in is track 10 on Christion McBride's "gettin' to it". This was suggested to me long ago by Albert VonSchweikert. It works like a charm with lots of plucked bass and other dynamics. I can feed it to the Horizon at level 63 and not have anything going to the speakers.

Reactions: Glide3

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have a collection of Herbies Tube Dampers that I've accumulated over the years. I'm using one on the shoulder of the 274 rectifier. For each of the four KT88's I have one at the center of the main vertical cylinder and a smaller one on the top dome nestled at the curvature to the larger section. Each 6SN7 globe has one at the equator.

I'm still fine tuning the sound (more on that later) and am running a CD track overnights to speed up the settling-in process. So far,. every day is a more refined sound. Once things stabilize, I'll compare the sound damped to that without the Herbies.

FYI, the CD I'm using for burn-in is track 10 on Christion McBride's "gettin' to it". This was suggested to me long ago by Albert VonSchweikert. It works like a charm with lots of plucked bass and other dynamics. I can feed it to the Horizon at level 63 and not have anything going to the speakers.
I too used Herbie's Damping Rings on the tubes in my Pacific. When Lukasz was here in February for the launch of the Horizon. he commented that rectifiers do not need damping rings

kernelbob

Oct 23, 2011
I too used Herbie's Damping Rings on the tubes in my Pacific. When Lukasz was here in February for the launch of the Horizon. he commented that rectifiers do not need damping rings
Since I have a damping ring that fits, I'll follow the advice "trust, but verify".

Steve Williams

Since I have a damping ring that fits, I'll follow the advice "trust, but verify".
I had a KR 5u4g that I used on my pacific and kept forcthecHorixon as that was Lukasz favorite at the time. It still had 3 Herbies Damping Rings. When I inserted it into the Horizon Lukasz commented that a rectifier doesn’t need damping rings

Stbo

Mar 18, 2020
Sweden

I have found the attached combo reduces the resonances, particularly on the front part of the plate - one small and one larger HRS plate on either side - 11.4 lbs total. (A tweak after the picture: The larger one is now fully loaded onto the smaller and does not rest on chassis at all.) This arrangement also reduces the vibration in the pentode and dual triode tubes quite noticeably. The rectifier seems less sensitive and barely seems to vibrate to the touch in either scenario.

As for SQ, I am still experimenting but I sense cleaner transients, when called for, and greater dynamics with the plates. Any other observations on this topic? Should the vibrations in the top plate effect SQ in this case? I am imagining/hoping the airborne resonances should be a non issue as the plate likely is totally isolated from the tubes, but based on the damping, this does not appear to be the case… and less tube vibration likely a good thing. It would be a shame to cover the top plate, even partially... and I cannot move my rack/Horizon elsewhere. That said, looks (and sounds) good to me! Thanks everyone.
Yes, it is a shame that the well thought out and sturdy design didn't go to the top of the unit. With my Pacific I stiffened/damped my top plate on the downside, now with the Horizon it seems a bit more complicated to get to the downside? However I read that Lukazs were able to change a top plate in 15 minutes so maybe less complicated after all? Anyway, a great recommendation is to make sure that the tubes doesn't touch the top plate when installing them.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Yes, it is a shame that the well thought out and sturdy design didn't go to the top of the unit. With my Pacific I stiffened/damped my top plate on the downside, now with the Horizon it seems a bit more complicated to get to the downside? However I read that Lukazs were able to change a top plate in 15 minutes so maybe less complicated after all? Anyway, a great recommendation is to make sure that the tubes doesn't touch the top plate when installing them.
Lukasz changed my top plate from painted copper to real copper in 15 minutes as I watched

Reactions: Stbo

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Albert came to my house about 15 years ago and recommend this track to me to break-in my VR-9's. I've been using this track to break-in ALL of my new components since then.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Recti
1. Kron 5u4G RK
3. Philips CZ34 Dutch
4. Telefunken GZ34
5. Amperex 5u4G USA
6. Takatsuki 274B

Pentodes
1. Siemens EL-34.
2. Mullard EL-34
3. Tungsol KT-170

Outputs
Octal
5. RCA JAN 5692 Red Base
6. Sylvania 6SN7WGTA

Noval
9. Amperex 7119
13. 6N1P Voshod 1976
Dang Marty, you are set!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing