Lampizator announcement: launch of our all new TOTL HORIZON DAC

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'm going to source some copper plates also
LAMM supplies carbon plate GM-70 as stock however he also sells copper plate. The copper plate sound ( I hate to use the term) more “natural”. I have only used copper plate for the past 10 years at least

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hooked the Horizon direct to Lampizator GM70 sound is excellent!
And not to argue
how many times
how many posts here and private
I feel you are Afraid to at times to try much less post how you think
and I mean you think
its cool to have so many peeps help but still it’s you
learn a little from me it’s ok to be wrong and make mistakes
its far worse to not try at all.
im
very happy for you
a kind jester would be to post same song
same volume in db from phone
in and out no pre
im glad you love it
great ending

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
And not to argue
how many times
how many posts here and private
I feel you are Afraid to at times to try much less post how you think
and I mean you think
its cool to have so many peeps help but still it’s you
learn a little from me it’s ok to be wrong and make mistakes
its far worse to not try at all.
im
very happy for you
a kind jester would be to post same song
same volume in db from phone
in and out no pre
im glad you love it
great ending
Did I miss something? :)

heihei

VIP/Donor
Jul 24, 2017
Now that my H DAC has had a month to burn in, I just started listening to it direct into my Audionet Heisenbergs the last two days. I must say it sounds pretty darn amazing. I am looking forward to hearing it used as a preamp fed by the analog out from my Esoteric K1X/PS1/Cybershaft and comparing that to the sound of the AES/EBU digital out of the K1X going into the H DAC.
What were you using as a pre? If Stern into Heisenbergs, am very interested in how you think they compare. I currently run a Pacific into Stern / Heisenbergs.....

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
What were you using as a pre? If Stern into Heisenbergs, am very interested in how you think they compare. I currently run a Pacific into Stern / Heisenbergs.....
I do indeed have a Stern. I want more listening time without the preamp before making any definitive statements. However, my initial reaction is that you get the typical benefits of going DAC direct into amps, such as additional transparency/immediacy and perceived resolution. But more interestingly, is that the typical downside of too smooth a sound that results from a lack of leading edge attack and reduced dynamics is not present, or at least not the point that it sticks out. I also do not hear a reduction in soundstage size or depth, which sometimes occurs going from a DAC direct into amps. I will have more to say after extended listening without the preamp, and then putting back into the signal path.

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
Hooked the Horizon direct to Lampizator GM70 sound is excellent!
So is it enough to eliminate your Pre? After a year with a Pre, I ditched my Pre and have gone with Pacific direct and will also do with Horizon when it eventually gets here.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
So is it enough to eliminate your Pre? After a year with a Pre, I ditched my Pre and have gone with Pacific direct and will also do with Horizon when it eventually gets here.
It is enough, I used VAC master with Constellation amp and Horizon. I tried horizon direct to Constellation but it wasn't as good as with Vac pre . I now have a Lampizator GM70 and the horizon direct is a big step up vs using Vac pre .

Willgolf

Jul 21, 2019
Gold Canyon, Az
It is enough, I used VAC master with Constellation amp and Horizon. I tried horizon direct to Constellation but it wasn't as good as with Vac pre . I now have a Lampizator GM70 and the horizon direct is a big step up vs using Vac pre .
Just curious...is the Lampi GM70 better than the Constellation? Do you still have the Constellation? Are you going to sell your VAC Master?

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Just curious...is the Lampi GM70 better than the Constellation? Do you still have the Constellation? Are you going to sell your VAC Master?
I really wouldn't say one is better than the other, but the GM 70 gives me the sound and emotion I enjoy . I Still have the constellation and if someone came along and wanted the Master I'd sell it ,if not I will use it at my other place .

Reactions: christoph

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
For those of you going direct from the Horizon into your amps, do you have any other sources, like TTs or tape decks? Also, Steve W felt that the Horizon sound, while using a preamp, "suffered" a bit when the volume was reduced below 62. I wonder how that affects its use as a preamp.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
For those of you going direct from the Horizon into your amps, do you have any other sources, like TTs or tape decks? Also, Steve W felt that the Horizon sound, while using a preamp, "suffered" a bit when the volume was reduced below 62. I wonder how that affects its use as a preamp.
Steve W is lucky to have such good hearing , I can't hear no difference between 63 and 62. I use a CD player but run through Horizon.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I understand the “sweet spot” is to keep the Horizon at 63 when using a separate preamp, or, to find your sweet spot between 1 and 62 when not using a preamp and running the Horizon directly into an amp.
There are still others who use their own external preamp BUT have their Horizon control between 1-62 ( IOW not bypass mode). Fred and Lukasz seem to endorse this. My point was that at 63 with my external preamp the sound was vastly better than using the same preamp and the Horizon volume anywhere below 63. Again I am talking my system which is a 32 wpc Class A SET. Yes I could hear the difference in my system

Reactions: christoph

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
@dminches, I have a second digital front end (Esoteric K1X/PS1/Cybershaft clock) for spinning discs (CD and SACD), which I have going into the analog input on the H DAC. Not listened to that configuration very much yet. Worth noting is that when playing a CD, I can also take the AES/EBU out from the K1X and go into the H DAC, making for an interesting comparison opportunity.

Looking at the block diagram in the screenshot below from the H DAC manual, it seems that digital inputs are converted to analog, and along with analog inputs, are then routed through the output tubes and then go to the volume control if it is set at below 63, or bypass that resistor ladder if it set at 63. I suppose it is not surprising that bypassing that resistor ladder is audible, especially when an external preamp is in the signal path, and also not surprising that the sound changes audibly (as I noted in an earlier post) when the external preamp is removed from the signal path, recognizing that the volume control resistor ladder is introduced into the signal path as well. The question is, which one sounds “best” to the user in the context of their system.

Attachments

• 03751517-940C-4D4B-9EDD-794B57BCF441.png
    03751517-940C-4D4B-9EDD-794B57BCF441.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I really wouldn't say one is better than the other, but the GM 70 gives me the sound and emotion I enjoy . I Still have the constellation and if someone came along and wanted the Master I'd sell it ,if not I will use it at my other place .
The Lampi GM70 monos list at $15k with today's exchange rate.
The Constellation plus VAC Master combo is over $100K
Bringing cost into the conversation may seem petty for some, others not.
Could buy a few patch cords for that difference. Maybe even some footers ;)

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
OK..the wait is over and Eagle has landed. As I'm currently doing regular maintenance on the wood rack (oiling) and it needs few days to cure so won't be installing gear before end of the week. Looking at the flight case even this one is better then the one from Pacific I had (Silicone wheels) as well with the nice touch upon opening the case. I'll start using it with a bit different small triodes vs rest of the guys and the first one to try will be best OTK series of 6n1p from '50s or '60s with KT170 and who knows which recti...
4FD89C1B-07DD-41AF-9915-291136A436E0.jpeg D6C2C50A-DA20-434D-9C1A-2A77720CD40E.jpeg

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
OK..the wait is over and Eagle has landed. As I'm currently doing regular maintenance on the wood rack (oiling) and it needs few days to cure so won't be installing gear before end of the week. Looking at the flight case even this one is better then the one from Pacific I had (Silicone wheels) as well with the nice touch upon opening the case. I'll start using it with a bit different small triodes vs rest of the guys and the first one to try will be best OTK series of 6n1p from '50s or '60s with KT170 and who knows which recti...

Congrats! Let’s go!

• Love
Reactions: Golum

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
View attachment 93420 View attachment 93419
Look at that case black stealth series

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing