Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: Duke LeJeune

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
This is not a horn speaker. It is a hybrid speaker that includes a horn. OK, OK, I know I have made this point before, and I promise this will be the last time. I probably wouldn't volunteer to be the terminology police this time if I weren't a bit in my cups. I don't want to become a disdained outcast for failing to get with the program and call hybrid speakers horn speakers, but the difference is neither subtle nor unimportant. I can't believe you guys can't hear the difference between horn bass and direct radiator bass.

In my mind it is analogous to the situation which would exist if a recipe called for a goose, but since geese are large and unruly you decided to use a duck instead and just call it a goose. I promise that from now on I will call ducks geese to try to fit in on what is otherwise an excellent forum.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
This is not a horn speaker. It is a hybrid speaker that includes a horn. OK, OK, I know I have made this point before, and I promise this will be the last time. I probably wouldn't volunteer to be the terminology police this time if I weren't a bit in my cups. I don't want to become a disdained outcast for failing to get with the program and call hybrid speakers horn speakers, but the difference is neither subtle nor unimportant. I can't believe you guys can't hear the difference between horn bass and direct radiator bass.

In my mind it is analogous to the situation which would exist if a recipe called for a goose, but since geese are large and unruly you decided to use a duck instead and just call it a goose. I promise that from now on I will call ducks geese to try to fit in on what is otherwise an excellent forum.
Will you call an amp a tube amp because it has tubes, or if it only uses tubes and does not have any solid state component ?

Don Reid

VIP/Donor
Nov 14, 2020
As it happens I owned a hybrid amp, a New York Audio Laboratory Moscode 600, for years. I always called it a hybrid amp.

adrianywu

Nov 15, 2021
As it happens I owned a hybrid amp, a New York Audio Laboratory Moscode 600, for years. I always called it a hybrid amp.
Yes, a hybrid amp usually means one or more stages of a tube amp uses solid state for amplification. My amps use tubes in all stages, but they also use solid state rectification, regulation, and the tubes are controlled by transistor current sources and sinks. Does this make it a hybrid amp ?

Sallingboe Audio

Mar 19, 2020
Denmark
sallingboeaudio.com
Hi Ron
We now have distribution of LALS speakers in Europe, let me know if you want demonstration. We have the Classical 15 EX for demonstration now. Bonzo75 heard it here a few months ago, and we just played on them at the shows in Horten, Norway and Gothenburg.
Best Regards
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_2191.JPG
    IMG_2191.JPG
    763.6 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: JPDV and MRJAZZ

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations! Thank you for letting us know!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing