Kuzma Stabi S vs VPI Prime...

mhifi

Feb 21, 2020
Hello,
Just wanted to get some input here... I've had my eye on a Kuzma Stabi S with Stogi S tonearm for a long time. The design seems minimal but completely functional. I think the two tables mentioned are direct competitors and would like to hear from actual owners of these tables. It's very hard to find and talk with owners of the Stabi S, as the company doesn't seem to have the same following as VPI in the US...

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

Vienna

VIP/Donor
Hi mhifi, I used to own the Prime Signature for about 8 months. the issue with the Prime signature was the premature wear of the inverted bearing as well as the same for the Peek thrust.
a friend of mine got a prime signature and has the same issues.
I would certainly go for the Kuzma is better engineered for sure and if you will palce it on a good platform you will enjoy a very good sound.

also the Kuzma tonearms are considered among the best, I wouldn’t say the same for the VPI ones

besides the above the VPI Prime will need serious efforts and 3rd party power supply to achieve steady rpm.

lastly Kuzma support cant be compared with VPI. Franc Kuzma will answer you personally every phone call or email within very short time

Last edited:

mhifi

Feb 21, 2020
Hi mhifi, I used to own the Prime Signature for about 8 months. the issue with the Prime signature was the premature wear of the inverted bearing as well as the same for the Peek thrust.
a friend of mine got a prime signature and has the same issues.
I would certainly go for the Kuzma is better engineered for sure and if you will palce it on a good platform you will enjoy a very good sound.

also the Kuzma tonearms are considered among the best, I wouldn’t say the same for the VPI ones

besides the above the VPI Prime will need serious efforts and 3rd party power supply to achieve steady rpm.
I do have experience with the VPI tables and honestly haven't run into many issues, though I do hear you.

I also forgot to mention that I would be going with the uni-pivot as opposed to the gimbal on the VPI. I'm attracted to the sound of a uni-pivot tonearm, I think there is more detail and nuance with the tradeoff being that they are slightly harder to get setup off the bat. The Stogi S tonearm is also, obviously, a unipivot with some different features. I am leaning more towards Kuzma at the moment.

Also, I'm not familiarized with the Kuzma accessories and their website isn't clear; is there an external PSU for the motor that would allow an easy switch from 33 to 45RPM?

Vienna

VIP/Donor
i had the 10” older 3d model, then the 10” Fatboy and later the 12” Fatboy unipivots..... I am currently listening all of my vinyls again with my Kuzma 4P, still can’t believe what I was missing....

even the Kuzma tonearm lifter is way better than the VPI one

Last edited:
Reactions: Adagio

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
+Kuzma

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I'd avoid the VPI Prime also. You might consider an entry level Clearaudio or Acoustic Signature as well. Though I've heard the Acoustic Signature bearing may also be suspect - I'd need to look into that more first.

I don't know much about the Stabi S. But my understanding is that the base model doesn't include the external motor controller with speed control. It's an AC motor and I think speed adjustment is manual. There is an external AC motor controller available for purchase, though. There is also an upgraded platter kit available which provides additional platter mass. The Stogi S is a unipivot arm. I don't know much about it, either. The Stabi S can be fitted with the 4 point arm as an upgrade as well. It'd be best to contact a dealer to understand the options.

Vienna

VIP/Donor
This is the manufacturer‘s view on Prime, published by himself BC8901B1-B058-471C-84F7-EA3F5B97419E.jpeg

Reactions: bazelio

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
The Prime Signature is about $7k USD while the Stabi S is half that. If possible to stretch to the Stabi R, I'd suggest that.

Reactions: Vienna

RickS

May 23, 2018
NW Indiana
I’ve owned a Prime for 2yrs and it’s been great with absolutely no issues to speak of. I check the inverted bearing about every 10 months and clean and relube with Super Lube and there has never been the slightest sign of wear to the bearing. However, I’m not using the periphery ring which may add enough weight to the inverted bearing to cause wear I suppose.

Having said that, I looked high and low for a Kuzma as my first choice and couldn’t find a single dealer in 2018 that had any in stock. It was a disappointment.

Adagio

Jun 8, 2019
Kuzma everyday! I have a StabiS with PSU REF2 and 4-point 9” a friend of mine had a VPI Scout Master. He was so impressed by mine that he bought a StabiR with 4-point just to piss me off, and he thinks the years with the VPIwas a complete waste of time. ......

M2M

Nov 23, 2021
Hi Folks, Im about purchase VPI Signautre, and someone here mention have problem: wear of the inverted bearing and Peek thrust.

I never heard this problem before, but i seriously want to know if Signature have this problem?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Hi Folks, Im about purchase VPI Signautre, and someone here mention have problem: wear of the inverted bearing and Peek thrust.

I never heard this problem before, but i seriously want to know if Signature have this problem?
I'd suggest considering other non-VPI tables.

M2M

Nov 23, 2021
I'd suggest considering other non-VPI tables.
I wish that will be easy for me! I want upgrade my Project 9.1 too better TT, but most brands i looked for have issue. The upper range of Project TT might not be significant upgrade. The only safest one is VPI. About Kuzma, i dont see much review about it, and i cant tell its best TT so far.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing