Kuzma SAFIR 9

I think the McIntosh gang would like this arm more if there were blue-green LEDs inside the translucent arm tube.??

At this year’s Munich show I had an opportunity to chat with Franc Kuzma while we stood over his Safir 9 arm. I am fascinated with the extremely high effective mass of this arm (5 times the typical effective mass) as much as I am about resonance control of the arm tube. I asked if the high mass was a primary design goal or a result of using sapphire for the arm tube. He replied that it as the later, but he thinks the higher mass is a contributing factor to the great sound of this arm. He referred me to his white paper on his site. He repeated what we’ve said in this forum, that any table used with the Safir 9 must not be loosely sprung and wobbly. This arm is best used on high-mass tables with either no spring suspension or a fairly stiff one.

Regarding resonance control, Franc told me that with the sapphire tube, slightly tapered, the fundamental arm resonance was around 5000 Hz, far higher that in most arms, but with a much lower lower amplitude.

Even the Da Vinci Grandezza + ClearAudio Goldfinger Statement installed on the same turntable was not on the same league.
!
The Da Vinci virtu with the Da Vinci cartridge was easily bested by Dynavector arm with Lyra atlas. On the Da Vinci table. Also owner’s preference is same

Hi Tima, I have checked, when the Safir is in the arm rest, the armtube actually tilted up very slightly !

Thanks.

Maybe my concern is unfounded. I was curious about @phoni 's note that, as I understand it, says tools such as the Smart Tractor or Feickert are "mal-functioning" for setting up the tool using the pivot-to-spindle needle because a dimple or center point to hold the needle is covered by the tone arm assembly sitting over the arm tower. This is unlike the 4P models.

Is it correct there is no dimple on the top of the tone arm assembly? I don't see one in the pictures in the manual. Is there a dimple on the top of the arm tower?

It's not so much an issue for setting actual P2S distance, but rather for positioning an alignment tool on the platter to get its alignment pattern in the right position.

You said you have no problem doing that with your original Feickert where the P2S measurement jig is a separate piece. On the SmartTractor and UNI-Pro, that P2S jig is integrated with the flat piece that sits on the platter.

SmartTractor users or anyone -- could you explain how you get it correctly positioned? tia

Hi Tima, yes, there is a dimple on top to reference the pivot’s position.

Thanks for that photo -- enlarging it I see the dimple. It's v small compared to the 4Ps -- no wonder I did not see it in a manual picture, but it doesn't need to be large; knowing the spot is what counts. Seems quite adequate for setting up an alignment tractor.

Franc's engineering is impeccable and the sapphire arm is an ingenious innovation. I am so tempted to try one with my Monaco.

Thanks for that photo -- enlarging it I see the dimple. It's v small compared to the 4Ps -- no wonder I did not see it in a manual picture, but it doesn't need to be large; knowing the spot is what counts. Seems quite adequate for setting up an alignment tractor.

Franc's engineering is impeccable and the sapphire arm is an ingenious innovation. I am so tempted to try one with my Monaco.
I would love to try a Kuzma Safir 9 too on my XL DC.

Maybe one day (especially with a much better cartridge I have at the moment), as I have other hifi system saving up and spending priorities at the moment i.e. in order of priority; buying an Ultrasonic Cleaner (going to go for a Kuzma Spinner Kit with the Elma Elmasonic P120 H Ultrasonic Cleaner) to go with my Keith Monks Classic RCM, buying a CH Precision X1 (to go with my CH P1), buying a Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp and a Kuzma Ebony Spindle Clamp to go with my XL DC TT.
Then after buying all of these expensive (at least for me) items, I guess it will be time to buy a high end cartridge (around about July 2024 as by then my MSL Eminent Ex will have close to 1,200+ hours on it).

So I'm guessing it won't be till July 2025, that I will be in a financial position to even think about buying a Safir 9. Maybe by then there will be a Safir 12 ??? ;-)

Hi Bonesy, if you can get your hands on one, I suggest you try out the above vacuum mat. I am using one with good result. Price should be similar to, or slightly cheaper than, the Kuzma outer ring. Can’t say how it compares to the Kuzma ring in performances, but I always have this fear of handling a heavy ring so close to the tonearm and cartridge!

With the high effective mass of the Safir, I do think it is better to have the LP as flat as possible!

Hi Bonesy, if you can get your hands on one, I suggest you try out the above vacuum mat. I am using one with good result. Price should be similar to, or slightly cheaper than, the Kuzma outer ring. Can’t say how it compares to the Kuzma ring in performances, but I always have this fear of handling a heavy ring so close to the tonearm and cartridge!

With the high effective mass of the Safir, I do think it is better to have the LP as flat as possible!
How loud is the pump? There will definitely be a difference in damping between the ring and the vacuum mat as well, and this will likely contribute to an audible difference. Can't say which would be better or worse though. I use the periphery ring, and have never had a close call even. Though it does have one downside, which is if you have a particularly low-riding cartridge, then you may not be able to queue up in the lead-in groove. I saw this issue with a Red Sparrow.

How loud is the pump? There will definitely be a difference in damping between the ring and the vacuum mat as well, and this will likely contribute to an audible difference. Can't say which would be better or worse though. I use the periphery ring, and have never had a close call even. Though it does have one downside, which is if you have a particularly low-riding cartridge, then you may not be able to queue up in the lead-in groove. I saw this issue with a Red Sparrow.
Factory says pump noise at 40-45db. In my setup, where the pump is right next to the TT, I do hear some noise when I stand right next to the TT changing disc, and starting the pump. However, I can’t hear it at my sitting position approximately 7’ / 2m away. I suppose it is not hard to house the pump in a silencer box if the noise bother the user.

Do note that the pump doesn’t start continuously, it just starts for around 20-30 second in the beginning to creat the vacuum, and repeats the process after every 8 mins to maintain the vacuum.

Last edited:

Hi 'thekong' for your suggestion in using such a vacuum mat. Much appreciated.

I totally agree.

Using an after market vacuum hold down mat with a high mass platter is problematic IMHO. Every time you change the record you have to wait for platter to stop. After that you have to wait for it to reach 33.33rpm. I think heavy platters perform better if they’re not stopped while changing records. Another question is how well this vacuum mat integrates with turntable platter. IMHO to achieve perfect result it should be bolted to the platter (which is impossible to do) cause we can not be sure if mat is flattening the record or record is warping the mat. It’s sure made of some metal and rubber but everything has it’s own sound signature apart from vacuum hold down there is the question whether we like the mat’s sound or not.

IMHO vacuum hold down is a great feature but it should be integrated to the platter in the manufacturing process.

Reactions: thekong
I totally agree.

Using an after market vacuum hold down mat with a high mass platter is problematic IMHO. Every time you change the record you have to wait for platter to stop. After that you have to wait for it to reach 33.33rpm. I think heavy platters perform better if they’re not stopped while changing records. Another question is how well this vacuum mat integrates with turntable platter. IMHO to achieve perfect result it should be bolted to the platter (which is impossible to do) cause we can not be sure if mat is flattening the record or record is warping the mat. It’s sure made of some metal and rubber but everything has it’s own sound signature apart from vacuum hold down there is the question whether we like the mat’s sound or not.

IMHO vacuum hold down is a great feature but it should be integrated to the platter in the manufacturing process.
Yes, I agreed that it would be best if the vacuum system could be integrated with the platter / TT. Unfortunately, not every TT offers this option. As for the vacuum mat having its sound signature, that is pretty much a given. But then, who is to say the the ring would not do the same!

So, as any accessories/ add on, one has to try it to decide whether it is right for his preference.

Apologies missed out the word 'thank you' before 'for'
I think I will stay with my current plan of purchasing the Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp (most probably the original heavier 2kg one specifically made for the XL DC and Stabi M which some Kuzma Dealers are still selling - most probably NOS) after I have purchased my DIY Ultrasonic RCM.

I have no worries with the risk of knocking my stylus with fitting the Outer Ring Clamp on my XL DC as my Kuzma 4Point 11" headshell is quite some distance away from the platter.

I also like the very simplistic and yet highly effective the way the Kuzma Outer Ring Clamp works.

Reactions: thekong
I use it with every record. Holding a record flatter resulting in a record that has better contact with the platter has several benefits. Beyond those, a (heavy) periphery ring which increases the platter's moment of inertia will reduce wow and flutter, improve speed stability, and improve low-frequency reproduction.

Just an idea to share : every record collection has some warped records (I mean playable).

I don’t know why but often this concern applies to the ones you love to listen .

The use of a periphery clamp seems to be at risk when not used with the tt they are made for by the manufacturer. So I’d appreciate every manufacturer propose it’s own so you are sure it fits your gear. I just asked Thomas Woschnick and he doesn’t make any. With his ability to work with ferrous materials, it’s a mystery that he refuses to make money with that and fulfill his client’s need.

Reactions: Bonesy Jonesy
Have not had any issues, we even had a plate made by CS Port in Japan for the TAT1M2 table using the Safir arm. CS Port worked with Kuzma who even sent CS Port all the specs and a template via e-mail. Everything worked PERFECTLY I'm happy to say.

View attachment 112749

View attachment 112745
very interesting. Was it implemented on the CSPort? how does it sound? (the picture loos as if there is no more room left for the linear arm)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing